Claimed:Advantage's Trade Review - Edition #1 [Final 6/6]

Advantage

Advantage's Trade Review - Edition #1

suit-clip-art.jpg

I’ve been a General Manager in this league for now over ten seasons so I have been doing some reflecting recently as I close in on the all-time record for most seasons managed, currently held by Jason Glasser.  Therefore, I wanted to look back on all of the trades I made and see how I made out historically with some of the moves.  I will make this edition one I suppose, and since apparently the pajodcast is taking a long hiatus, I might be able to finish off the series in not too long. I likely won't go over any moves that were so minor they are hardly worth mentioning.  I will be doing the trades in order as well, so without further ado, let’s look at my first two trades as GM of the New York Americans.

Season 32 Off-Season Trade -> RIG/NYA

To tSI9DqU.png
(S28) D - Troy Athera
(S31) D - Malcolm Spud

To Yp5RCrq.png
(S28) G - Alexander Labatte
(S29) D - Austin Gow

I can’t say that I will ever forget how this trade went down.  I was in my first couple days as a General Manager and in need of a goaltender if I still wanted to compete.  I had been talking to Victor when Mike randomly chatted me up and offered up arguably the best goaltender in the league, Alexander Labatte, in a trade.  I really didn’t take him seriously but within ten minutes I was acquiring the best goaltender in the league and a depth defender for two pretty good players.

When looking at this trade, all of the players did have an impact.  Malcolm Spud had a solid career and Troy Athera was a pretty good player as well, but no one in this deal had even close to the impact that Labatte did.  He was an elite goaltender and a future Hall of Fame player, but it helps that as a member, sterling is up there when it comes to team advice.  While strictly looking at the value of this trade, I love it from my perspective, this allowed the Reign to trade for Thomas Corcoran on route to a Continental Cup victory over my New York Americans.  With that being said though, after two seasons of stellar play, I traded Alexander Labatte for a Season 37 1st Round Pick that would be used to pick up sterling’s next player, Tom Slaughter.  I guess you could say that both teams benefited here at the end of the day.

---

Season 32 Off-Season Trade -> NYA/CGY

To Yp5RCrq.png
(S32) C - Cody Inko
S33 VAS 2nd (RW Thomas Landry)
S34 CGY 2nd (D Nick Becker)

To YTzfe5K.png
(S26) D - Radislav Mjers

For those that do not know, Thomas Landry started out as a New York American.  The long-time Davos Dynamo captain was actually a staple as one of the best picks I ever made, and was a part of my group of trades to start my rebuild.  What many may not know is that it is due to Calgary that I even had a chance to draft him.  This was simply a case of Calgary trying to get better and me not needing Mjers around with Sullivan on defense.  I had to cut some cap and it made sense to take it away there.  Cody Inko would later be moved for more picks as I was trying to put some solid prospects in the system, but as I would find out in not too long, the best prize was the Season 33 Vasteras 2nd Round Pick that would net a future stud in Thomas Landry.

While I would ship out everything I got in this trade within a few seasons, I still received some needed assets for a solid player that I believe only spent one more season in the league.  Obviously as I will explain later, I wish I kept Landry as I was not anticipating that my rebuild would go as well as it did.  Still, I’m pretty pleased with this trade looking back on it.

Content:3/3- Some good trades here that you made in your GMing career. Can't wait so see the others one who did since i wasn't around the league. That is also super crazy that you have been a GM for 10 seasons. I can't to one day gm a team. Even if its VHLM. 

Grammar: 2/2- Looks good. 

Appearance: 1/1- Like the pictures you have set up. They team logos make the trades pop!

Final 6/6 

• Admin

I seriously regret trading Landry :/

I went on to pick up Tordahl a few seasons later who is in the same draft year too! The worst part is I knew he'd become legit.  I just thought it was best for the rebuild.

Yeah, you got some pretty crap picks for him too. :P

Someone was saying at the time that I gave up too much. But that's for another part of this MS. This off-season was a damn good first impression and we really should have won in S33 (though I suppose Riga really should have won in S32 so it balances out).

Yeah, you got some pretty crap picks for him too. :P

Someone was saying at the time that I gave up too much. But that's for another part of this MS. This off-season was a damn good first impression and we really should have won in S33 (though I suppose Riga really should have won in S32 so it balances out).

Not for me bro