Claimed:Reflections on Things Forgotten, Remembered and Discovered [Final 6/6]

Molholt

:sea:

I prefer not to be all over the place, scatter-brained, if you will. At least, I prefer my media articles not to be (If you talk to me on chat, it's a completely different story). I want a nice, clean collection of related materials. However, doing research for the Team Point Task has inspired me and gotten me excited to talk about things in the VHL. Granted, most of those things are centered around my own players, so most people might not want to hear them, but they are interesting to me. Anyway, enjoy or not, here they are.

The First Time I Was a Bear

I was digging through some old drafts, trying to find the year an old Seattle Bear was drafted and I stumbled upon the S24 VHL Draft. You all will remember this as the year that Daniel Braxton was drafted, and rightfully so. However, I was also drafted in that draft, with the 14th pick, second round. I was drafted by the Seattle Bears. This is a fact that I learned today. By the time of this draft, I was long inactive with just over 100 TPE. I had joined the league following a collapse of another, was active over a summer probably, and then I fell out of interest. If you look at my current player (or my second), you won't even see my first player listed as a former player, there just isn't a point. He wasn't relevant, didn't get me a welfare bracket - he should be forgotten, and was. I never played a game in the VHL, was never called up by Seattle or made it out of the VHLM, but the first VHL team that my rights were owned by was the Seattle Bears, the team that I reside upon now.

The Time I Should've Been a Bear

That's right, looking back I found out that I was a member of Seattle (technically), but I also remembered something that could've, and perhaps should've happened back in S33. My second player, Jarkko Olsen, was in the draft then and so was his brother Karsten. Karsten was selected 2nd overall by the Seattle Bears, one of two teams who had multiple first round picks. If I recall, Toronto had discussed trading picks around to be able to select both Karsten and Jarkko, but I wasn't sure of Seattle's plans. I was online during the draft, as I was still very active with Jarkko. Plus, this was soon after the site had added the chat feature. I remember talking a lot with Cowboy about Karsten being taken, and the odds of me going to Seattle at 8. I thought for sure it made sense, we'd be on the same team, it would give us something to write about, etc. That pick came in, and it wasn't Jarkko. It was Keiji Toriyama. I was disappointed, thinking for sure that they would see how much I wanted to come there. I was taken with the next pick, drafted to the Riga Reign. I can't complain too much, I ended up getting three Continental Cups in my career, after coming back from being inactive yet again. I don't know that I would've been 100% active if I had been drafted by Seattle (who might've traded me like they did Keiji), but I'd like to think the odds would've been higher. Since I missed my first draft, and I was completely neutral for my third, this was the draft I was most invested in - the one that I legitimately wanted to go to Seattle - and this is the only one that I didn't. Ironically, the team drafted Totally Not A Bear, and made him a Bear instead.

The Walls of Jericho

I find this somewhat strange, but it mostly makes sense. I’ve been drafted 3 times in the VHL, S24, S33 and S42. Mike Molholt, Jarkko Olsen and A.C. Savage. All three times, I have been drafted in the same class as Jericho. Daniel Braxton, Wesley Kellinger and Jax Barnstormer. Jax makes the most sense, Olsen and Kellinger went in together and had the same career length. The thing about this that seems improbable to me, is that I went inactive with my first player while in the minors. I came back randomly and created Jarkko, and it just so happened to be at the exact perfect timing of what a normal career might have been. For some reason, I haven’t been able to get away from Jericho. I think I can all but guarantee that I won’t be drafted with Jericho this next time, for better or worse. Sorry buddy, but you can’t hold me down anymore!

:sea: 

Edited by Molholt

I really wanted that to happen in the S33 Draft, perhaps would have helped my activity further down the road as well. I'll blame Noah.

It seemed so obvious at the time, but I guess my inactivity proves otherwise. Its much easier to say I would've been active, than me having actually been lol

It seemed so obvious at the time, but I guess my inactivity proves otherwise. Its much easier to say I would've been active, than me having actually been lol

Eh, Streetlight with that player wasn't any better (though IR, who I believe we got back as part of the deal when we traded Toriyama, was a nice add)

• Admin

Eh, Streetlight with that player wasn't any better (though IR, who I believe we got back as part of the deal when we traded Toriyama, was a nice add)

You guys actually got Blade (the pick) when I moved out of the S34 draft into S35 (a bad but inconsequential move) in my first Davos trade. :D

everybody always got good stuff when they traded toriyama. the americans got the pick that turned into tom slaughter for me