General Football Discussion

Victor

What is a raboda? Because apparently Lamela just did one.

http://gfycat.com/InsignificantVerifiableBaleenwhale

Rabona.  It's when you wrap one leg around the other to kick the ball (which you can see in the gfy that you posted), the fact that Lamela did it from outside the box and was able to score like that is fucking incredible.  Here's a full look at the finish if anyone's curious:

JoyousAridBaiji.gif

I'd also like to add that in the same game, Harry Kane scored a hat trick, then played goalkeeper when Lloris got a red card.  Pretty eventful.

Edited by solas

• 3 weeks later...

A young Ireland fan has shared with the world the hilarious tale of his application to take over as manager of the national football team. The utterly magnificent application, which has just come to light despite being sent soon after Giovanni Trappatoni's exit, really is something to behold.

Yes, yes, we know it's been done before. Originally, and most spectacularly, the stunt was pulled by Middlesbrough fan John Boileau back in 2006, who wrote to his club demanding the job on the basis of his experience playing Football Manager on his computer, in tandem with coaching an under-11s Sunday league team.

Boileau's correspondence prompted hundreds of similar applications - not least when Dumbarton were looking for a new chief two years ago.

Such fun and games turned seriuous when an Azerbaijani student named Vugar Huseynzade actually landed a major job in Baku on the basis of his virtal management prowess soon after that - but O'Brien's application shows clearly that he would have been an even better choice.

Not because the 25-year-old promised the FAI that, "I GUARANTEE that if I do get this job IRELAND WILL WIN EURO 2016."

Not because he waxed lyrical about his "non-human management skills" earned in cattle breeding.

Not because he helpfully pointed out that he is a Capricorn.

But because he came up with two absolutely brilliant, and totally original, tactical formations.

They are the magnifcently-named 'Shatners Bassoon'...: and The equally brilliant 'immaculate Pasta'

John's entire application letter explains it all (h/t The Guardian), but Shatners Bassoon is said to come after "months of scientific research" into the best way to counter 4-5-1 tactics with a formation that "literally points the way to goal".

He admits that while it might seem "overly offensive" at first, the idea is that they'd play that way until Ireland went ahead, after which they'd resort to Immaculate Pasta, "a classic pincers tactic, like Napolen used to great effect in the Battle of Marengo".

Crackers. And brilliant, at the same time.

337273b8-b5e6-4a85-8582-12eb682177ef-712

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They call Bayern the money club? I never heard that.

Passion does not equate homegrown talent either... but worry not, Dortmund has quickly stopped being the hipster's choice anyway.

They don't call it the money club as a nickname, they call it that because of what usually happens in the transfer market. I didn't make that graphic haha. But the point of it is true.

• 4 weeks later...

The Montreal Impact have signed some really good players lately. I'm not too confident of having Jack Mac as our starting striker but I think player like Piatti and Mapp will have a bigger offensive role next season. What Piatti have shown last season was unbelievable, I hope he stays on this pace. 

We REALLY improved our defensive back with Laurent Ciman. He could be taller but we already have Bakary Soumare (6'4) for those battles. I'm very confident that we will have a good season.

Edited by boubabi

The Montreal Impact have signed some really good players lately. I'm not too confident of having Jack Mac as our starting striker but I think player like Piatti and Mapp will have a bigger offensive role next season. What Piatti have shown last season was unbelievable, I hope he stays on this pace. 

We REALLY improved our defensive back with Laurent Ciman. He could be taller but we already have Bakary Soumare (6'4) for those battles. I'm very confident that we will have a good season.

The only issue with big CB's in the MLS, the refs suck and are card happy. Ask Vancouver

They are, but outside the box, physicality can be somewhat accepted in this league. Fancy/small player like Felipe will/have struggle. Thats why we traded him today (Thanks god) 

and if you want to look at a very well made website, look at this.

http://marquonslhistoire.com/en/

Edited by boubabi

They are, but outside the box, physicality can be somewhat accepted in this league. Fancy/small player like Felipe will/have struggle. Thats why we traded him today (Thanks god) 

and if you want to look at a very well made website, look at this.

http://marquonslhistoire.com/en/

Opposite though. Outside the box the bigger guys compensate by taking fouls. Thats when the refs in the MLS get card happy. They see one false move by a "big" CB and they call it, whether its a foul or not

Personally, I saw some major uncalled fouls last season. Of course, a foul is a foul, but in a physical game they will pass on some.

But I agree, in the box, they are generous some times.

Personally, I saw some major uncalled fouls last season. Of course, a foul is a foul, but in a physical game they will pass on some.

But I agree, in the box, they are generous some times.

In the box they are genorous, outside of it they seem to target certain style of defending. Foul should be a foul. Good example Omar Gonzalez may be one of the best CB's in the MLS, but the refs deem him too aggressive. Theres a different between aggressive and tight defending and i think he does a good job, the refs think otherwise. I hate him too haha

No matter which league you are playing, if you build a reputation, the ref won't be easy on you. I'm not saying some build some bad reputation, but if you tend to be aggressive/dangerous on every ball, you gotta watch yourself.

I'm personally a center back, i know you gotta play physical at some point, but like everything, you don't want to exaggerate.  

No matter which league you are playing, if you build a reputation, the ref won't be easy on you. I'm not saying some build some bad reputation, but if you tend to be aggressive/dangerous on every ball, you gotta watch yourself.

I'm personally a center back, i know you gotta play physical at some point, but like everything, you don't want to exaggerate.  

I know that, thats not at all what I said though. I said the MLS refs are card happy no matter what style you play, they base it on build it seems. Reputation in any sport is obviously a factor, of course. I never disputed that.

I have coached the game for the past 6 years and played it since I was 2. We teach defenders to go in hard but smart. In the MLS it doesn't matter, they card you for touching the guy as a CB.

The MLS always had a more physical game because thats what people in the US want to see. But since the MLS is trying to become a "better league", they don't want to become the "I injure your best player" league. That's why we see more south Americans referees lately, because they prone a more technical game. I'm not saying that's is the case for every referees though.

The MLS always had a more physical game because thats what people in the US want to see. But since the MLS is trying to become a "better league", they don't want to become the "I injure your best player" league. That's why we see more south Americans referees lately, because they prone a more technical game. I'm not saying that's is the case for every referees though.

But often in the MLS it is true. I looked up statistics on some of the refs (you can do that) and majority of them have given out more reds than any other league.