Western Europe to World Cup Title Game

european-union-flag.gif

Berlin, Germany -- Entering the Season 43 World Cup, VHL.com writer and now-noted hack Edwin Reencarnacion had this to say concerning the Western Europe team: "While their forwards are still somewhat comparable to the other teams competing for the bronze medal, it’s defensively where the team really looks a class below their competitors. To me, I don’t think they will get the bronze medal, and in truth may not even get fourth place."

Well, that didn't quite work out, did it?

Following an amazing round robin section which saw Western Europe finish 7-2-1 and first place in the standings, the Euros came back in the third period to beat the Mercenaries 5-3. Kurtis Hunter finished with both the game-tying and game-winning goals within two minutes of each other, and Christoph Klose finished with the first star and four assists.

Now, in the finals Western Europe will face the United States. In that same preview, Reencarnacion predicted the Americans to win it all. However, the U.S. finished just second in group play... mostly because they were swept by the Euros, two of the team's three losses.

"It's an odd place: Even though we swept them, I think most people still see us as underdogs," Scotland-born goaltender Hans Wingate said. "I have to admit, I saw Season 46 as our cup to win, but all it takes is one game. We're right there."

Well, in my defense, at the time of writing those predictions:

- Canada had Don Draper.

- I was presuming Scandinavia's goalie would be at 200 TPE at least, but a lack of a post-season update and simmer error had him at 100 TPE through the entire tournament (Same issue for my own player unfortunately).

- Team Western Europe didn't have a fourth defenseman. 

Oh, totally defensible position at the time. I just used it as a measure of how unexpected the run was.

Also, what I'm getting from your post is that Phil is primarily responsible for our Finals run. I'm cool with this.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica