Claimed:The Continental Challenge Cup: SHL vs. VHL Pt. 3 [Final 6/6]

In hopes of not breaking the damn VHL again, I will refrain from any italicized fonts in the following post. If you wish to look at parts 1 and 2 of this 3-part series, please take a look at My Content under my userpage and it should be pretty obvious which two are the ones in the series. This will be the last part of the series as 6 TPE per entry should be fittingly ended with 6 parts. Here we go.

Simulation versus Victory: Hockey's True Rivalry

In the final media spot allotted for this series, I will bring light to the last 2 areas of both simulation hockey giants. Once this is done, I shall go back to the updates on Clardy's career, mainly his success in the playoffs. But to end this series, I hope that everyone enjoys my view of both leagues. This is all from the perspective of someone that came to the SHL first and VHL second, and there have been other reviews. These are just my thoughts. Interpret them as you will.

PART 5: Restrictions (but different this time)

In my first review of the two leagues, I mentioned the restrictions on players in-game and career-wise, and I have even talked about regression, but now comes the most difficult area of moderating any internet site: user restrictions. It's odd the different ban threads you see at first glance and with my looking around the sites: the SHL has, it seems, a new fine or suspension being handed down weekly. Most of them are debated heavily for one reason or another, and while sometimes this leads to progressive marks in changing the site's moderation, other times it leads to posts and Thunderdome threads that should also be suspension-worthy. Most argue that the SHL isn't consistent in their punishment of members, and some hold the belief that moderation on an internet forum is useless for adult people. This seems to be a strong stance one way or the other and is pretty polarizing. The VHL, however, almost seems like they take suspensions as a joke. The only real suspensions have happened within the year and before my time on the site, but from reading the Ban Thread, half of it was That's So Raven gifs, some was some guy named RobbieZ being a case study example of a projective personality, and some decent suspensions, though measuring them in hours is kind of weird. It seems the SHL has more members and has to cater to a wider base, making those on the Discipline Committee more conservative, while those in the VHL get suspended for only a day for going really far, and the rest is usually fair game. I'm not even sure where to find the rules for suspendable material in the VHL, while the SHL changes its policy or committee or whatever every offseason. The only similarity I found is that gorlab has been suspended in both leagues for comments on the forum, but that may just be a coincidence.

PART 6: Recruiting

So we've talked about everything to do with current members (or at least all I care to talk about), so let's get to the egg portion of the chicken and egg debate: new member recruitment styles. The SHL puts money into reddit paid advertisement and has used a host of other sites as means of recruitment. Word of mouth is part of both sites and part of the base activity of both sites. I think the SHL is more branched out and high risk-high reward on the recruiting, using reddit posts and upvotes to gain visibility on big hockey threads to gain attention. I'm not sure if the VHL even has any league-sponsored advertising or what it is we do to promote the site, though some of the guys here are here because VHL members also spend time, god forbid, on other sites like the SHL. This leads to interesting situations where players from the VHL will recruit mainly from their SMJHL team or SHL team, and vice versa from here. I know that I wandered here after being pestered to do this by someone, I can't remember, and eventually garnered one recruit in my time here. Both have systems of rewarding the members for expanding the user base, but the VHL has an activity-based rewards system and the SHL is more about bodies last I checked (classic quality vs. quantity argument). HFBoards, EASHL forums, and any other hockey-related area has been dipped for either site I assume, and one site has done vastly better at racking up members than the other. Not sure why. But it's interesting to think about that the VHL has 4 years on the SHL in terms of the lifetime of the current version of the site (yes the SHL had a former site, no idea for how long) and yet the VHL only has ~500 members and the SHL is close to quadruple that. I addressed the activity of said members earlier, so I'll spare you the speech again.

I think that does it. Thanks for listening and please, please don't break the page.

You didn't find any guidelines on suspensions because the two rules are really only:

1.) Don't be a giant douche-canoe

2.) Don't attack a member using personal information

And that's a big difference between the VHL and SHL. Thanks, I had no idea the rules were so simple here lol

• Admin

I'm just saying, your member count is flawed. We don't have 500 active members, much like the SHL doesn't have 2,000. The 500 is probably members who have been on this, the third site, i.e. one that is still just under 2 years old. The SHL's site, its second, has been running for about 75% of its history.

More accurate active member counts are something like 200 and 100.

I'm just saying, your member count is flawed. We don't have 500 active members, much like the SHL doesn't have 2,000. The 500 is probably members who have been on this, the third site, i.e. one that is still just under 2 years old. The SHL's site, its second, has been running for about 75% of its history.

More accurate active member counts are something like 200 and 100.

Yeah, I said active and really meant body count. Thanks for the catch.

Simulation versus Victory: Hockey's True Rivalry

In the final media spot allotted for this series, I will bring light to the last 2 areas of both simulation hockey giants. Once this is done, I shall go back to the updates on Clardy's career, mainly his success in the playoffs. But to end this series, I hope that everyone enjoys my view of both leagues. This is all from the perspective of someone that came to the SHL first and VHL second, and there have been other reviews. These are just my thoughts. Interpret them as you will.

PART 5: Restrictions (but different this time)

In my first review of the two leagues, I mentioned the restrictions on players in-game and career-wise, and I have even talked about regression, but now comes the most difficult area of moderating any internet site: user restrictions. It's odd the different ban threads you see at first glance and with my looking around the sites: the SHL has, it seems, a new fine or suspension being handed down weekly. Most of them are debated heavily for one reason or another, and while sometimes this leads to progressive marks in changing the site's moderation, other times it leads to posts and Thunderdome threads that should also be suspension-worthy. Most argue that the SHL isn't consistent in their punishment of members, and some hold the belief that moderation on an internet forum is useless for adult people. This seems to be a strong stance one way or the other and is pretty polarizing. The VHL, however, almost seems like they take suspensions as a joke. The only real suspensions have happened within the year and before my time on the site, but from reading the Ban Thread, half of it was That's So Raven gifs, some was some guy named RobbieZ being a case study example of a projective personality, and some decent suspensions, though measuring them in hours is kind of weird. It seems the SHL has more members and has to cater to a wider base, making those on the Discipline Committee more conservative, while those in the VHL get suspended for only a day for going really far, and the rest is usually fair game. I'm not even sure where to find the rules for suspendable material in the VHL, while the SHL changes its policy or committee or whatever every offseason. The only similarity I found is that gorlab has been suspended in both leagues for comments on the forum, but that may just be a coincidence.

tumblr_mmy17nlzU81rm00oso1_400.gif

Content 3/3 - Well, this time I'll give you full marks for not breaking the site this time around. I have enjoyed reading this series, as have others I'm sure. Good work looking into everything for both leagues. As a DC member over on the SHL, I can say that with the member count comes a heck of a lot of work. Especially with the personalities there.

Grammar 2/2 - I didn't notice anything, so good work!

Appearance 1/1 - I almost docked half a point. You only used bold two things and have giant blocks of text for parts 5 and 6. Add a picture next time and/or colours!

Final 6/6