Claimed:New Captain [Reviewed]

maxresdefault.jpg

The Quebec City Meute announced their team captains this past week and defenseman Felipe Rodriguez was announced as the captain for the first time in his short career. Wearing the “A” this year for the Meute will be Unassisted and Aleksi Koponen.  Rodriguez had this to say about his selection for captain:

“It’s an honor, it really is. This team has had several great captains come through and it’s a really great feeling to have my name even mentioned in the same breath. I know I have a long way to go before I am at their level but I’m happy I even have an opportunity. I hope I don’t let the management, the fans, or my teammates down this season.”

So far this season, in Quebec City’s eight games, Rodriguez has two goals and three assists for a total of five points. More importantly, he’s on the right side of the plus-minus rating, something we have not seen since his first year in the VHLM’s Ottawa Lynx, at plus-eight. He’s been called upon a lot more than in his previous season playing just over 32 minutes per game up six minutes per game from last season. Felipe has always prided himself on the peripheral stats, though, and in that department he’s been a little lackluster thus far. He has contributed 28 hits and 14 blocked shots through eight games, so it’s hard to gauge just how he’ll fair throughout the remainder of the season.

The team as a whole has improved greatly with the addition of goaltender extraordinaire, Greg Clegane, and self-proclaimed “Best Fighter in the VHL” Aleksi Koponen. Things can only go up from here as the team will be adding several other solid players to the fold starting in the next few games. How the lines will be shaken up is yet to be seen. The currently have the VHL’s leading scorer in Unassisted as well as the two players tied for first in assists in Tom Lincoln and Koponen. These three also make up the top two point-earners at the center position and also number one at the left wing position as well as the top three in plus-minus rating in the league. John Sleeman’s 10 points places him in second player for defenseman points as well. While we’re on the topic of league leaders, Koponen also has a 71.52% faceoff percentage good for second in the league behind Edwin Reencarnacion at a staggering 75.09%.

On the defensive side of things, Greg Clegane has been a great backstop for the Wolfpack with a .925 save percentage, 1.88 goals against average, and eight wins in eight outings as the starting goaltender for Quebec. In addition to Clegane’s stellar performances, Sleeman’s 18 shots blocked is good for fourth place in the league and Rodriguez’s 28 hits put him in eighth, right behind Koponen’s 33. It doesn’t hurt that the five teams they’ve played up to this point have a combined 10 wins and 26 losses or that they’ve only faced 201 shots against so far. The true test will come shortly when they have a four game stretch where they play against the Toronto Legion and the Seattle Bears, two games apiece.

(534 words)

Edited by evrydayimbyfuglien

Review:

congratulations on being named the captain! Also you really need a new picture, you keep using the same one lol. Looks like you guys are definitely a defense-first team. #ScrewTheMeute

535 words :D