Creating the Las Vegas expansion team

FacePuncher

I started doing this then I started to laugh when I realized how fucked some teams are, especially Columbus. The NHL landscape is going to change drastically I bet.

Edited by Dangles13

4 minutes ago, Dangles13 said:

I started doing this then I started to laugh when I realized how fucked some teams are, especially Columbus. The NHL landscape is going to change drastically I bet.

isn't there a rule only one player can be taken from each team though?

18 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

isn't there a rule only one player can be taken from each team though?

Yeah but with how many players Columbus has to protect they have to expose someone pretty good. They will be desperately trying to move players now and other GMs know that and can fuck them over. Teams that don't have players to protect because of ELCs are going to win some trades I think and hope.

Lucic - Ribeiro - Atkinson

R. Smith - Killorn - Vrbata

Schenn - Lehtera - Yakupov

Fast - Tlusty - Panik

Wisniewski - Wideman

Spurgeon - Hamonic

Martin - Alzner

Niemi

Howard

??

I'll probably have another go at it some other time..

The smartest way to think about it is building a team like the NHL Draft. Las Vegas is going to want fairly young guys, but with tons of upside and skill. If the team they are plucking a person off of doesn't have those two criteria they will go with a veteran leader that is most likely in the back half of his twenties/early thirties.

Perron - E.Staal - Gionta

Raffl - Filppula - Brouwer

Calvert - Plekanec - Chiasson

King - C. Wilson - Grabner

Myers - A.Greene

Edler - Brodin

Dillon - J. Schultz

Halak

Howard

I found it really tough to protect a lot of players that I didn't know enough about. For example, I didn't protect Brodin because Minnesota would protect Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon. Brodin would be a 4th, which would make sense but then you don't get to protect their forwards.

22 minutes ago, Dangles13 said:

Yeah I had a hard time, especially with so many players you know are moving on soon. Staal won't be in NYR and other things like that skew this a bit.

Yeah retirements, expiring contracts and players who teams want to buyout will be left unprotected. It was weird leaving Jagr, Elias, Marleau and Willie Mitchell unprotected.

30 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah retirements, expiring contracts and players who teams want to buyout will be left unprotected. It was weird leaving Jagr, Elias, Marleau and Willie Mitchell unprotected.

That's the other side of it. How many legacy protections will there be? Will Jagr, Elias and Marleau be protected just because?

10 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Lucic - Ribeiro - Atkinson

R. Smith - Killorn - Vrbata

Schenn - Lehtera - Yakupov

Fast - Tlusty - Panik

Wisniewski - Wideman

Spurgeon - Hamonic

Martin - Alzner

Niemi

Howard

??

I'll probably have another go at it some other time..

You better. Karl Alzner as a 6th defender? Are you high? He plays on a top line with Matt Niskanen first of all, so there is no chance we don't protect him. But even if we didn't, you think Wideman is a better player, worthy of first line defender minutes over him? Come on now. :P 

Also @flyersfan1493 that was my take as well. If it had a list of the players teams are most likely to protect it'd be more natural. But for a lot of teams there is going to be some interesting choices made. 

Edited by Mr. Power

9 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

You better. Karl Alzner as a 6th defender? Are you high? He plays on a top line with Matt Niskanen first of all, so there is no chance we don't protect him. But even if we didn't, you think Wideman is a better player, worthy of first line defender minutes over him? Come on now. :P 

Also @flyersfan1493 that was my take as well. If it had a list of the players teams are most likely to protect it'd be more natural. But for a lot of teams there is going to be some interesting choices made. 

Yeah, I'm a big caps fan as well, and I don't remember the 3 I picked but Alzner was the odd man out. I think I took Orlov instead.....

and my D pairings aren't really in any order.