Claimed:Five Thoughts [Reviewed]

Tagger

Victory Hockey League

I couldn't think of a decent VHL image, so here's a VHL image

Toronto’s Goalie

While Faux and Reencarnacion are other big losses that Toronto lost to retirement, the big question for Toronto is how they go about replacing Hans Wingate in goal. Looking at their current roster, they don’t currently seem old enough and certainly have too much talent to think about a rebuild just yet, but at the same time solving their goalie situation may be a tricky one. The obvious option for them to pursue would be free agent Greg Clegane and if they were to get him, that would put them right back in title contention for a very cheap cost. If that weren’t to happen though, there are avenues out there they can explore. With Riga not offering a contract to Clegane, it seems like the others in the race for Clegane would be Cologne and Stockholm, who would likely look to trade their current starters of Zhumbayev and Von Braxton should they acquire his services (the latter however would only be a one year rental). While they are certainly not to the level of Wingate and have had their share of problems trying to lead competing teams to glory in the past, they are obviously better options than not having a goalie at all.

I think though that the best potential trade option that could be available for Toronto is indeed Clegane, but not Greg. Sandro Clegane is currently on a depleted Davos roster that could well struggle to compete in Season 51 if they cannot bring in any Free Agents. While they would not benefit right away from a rebuild (their S52 first round selection is currently in the hands of New York), it would still make sense to look to trade Clegane if they don’t appear to be in a competing position considering that he won’t provide much help to a depleted roster with only two years remaining in the VHL

Favourite Destinations for Threencarnacion

Entering the draft for the third time in my VHL career, I’m looking forward to entering this S52 draft in particular, as I’ll be interested to see what my draft value is as a pure backup goalie. I’m also looking forward to possibly being able to finally round out my tour of the VHL by playing for all ten VHL teams in my entire VHL stay. Currently, there are three VHL teams that I have yet to play a game for; Davos, Helsinki and Quebec. I think of those three, my preferred option would be Helsinki as I would like to play with Boom at least once during my VHL stay (I had hoped to bring him to New York for our Season 47 Continental Cup run, but unfortunately we did not have the cap to make the move). I would say that after that, I would probably like to play for Quebec second most, then Davos third, with no particular reason for the ranking other than I’d like to see if I can help Brovy out as a player as I think he gets a lot of unwarranted criticisms of his GMing ability, so it would be pretty cool to help him finally win the cup.

I’m pretty cool playing for most of the other teams in the VHL (In particular New York and Stockholm so I can help out my Overwatch companions Mr. Power and Advantage), but I’d say the only destination I wouldn’t really want to play for is Seattle. It’s nothing against the current playing staff of the team, but kind of like Kendrick with Davos, I’ve just had a problem being involved with their team in the past stemming from the condescending comments I read about my contribution to the team back in S36 (Which I couldn’t help as I had real world things to deal with) but mainly from the two times that I was set to take over them as GM, but was prevented from doing so both times because of things outside my control (Player revolt in support of Bushito in S42, my own high draft stock and Mike’s leaving if he didn’t become GM in S44). I doubt they’re concerned though, I imagine by the time I’m available in the draft, they’ll have a competing team ready to go and wouldn’t want the services of a scrubby backup goalie anyway.

Further Thoughts on the Backup Plan

In regards to my intentions to be a backup goalie, I think what I’m most interested to see is how teams will react to my availability if for example I became available by either trade or free agency. For a competing team, while a decent backup goalie could be useful at some points, it would potentially have a harmful effect on the salary cap in later seasons, so it may end up only being feasible that I play for teams that are either rebuilding or just outside/scraping into playoff contention. I’m also interested to see what my stats are going to end up looking like; there’s going to be obviously a lot greater chance of conceding zero goals while I’m on the ice, but at the same time facing consistently fewer shots per game could lead to worse save percentages if I let in even just one per game.

Screen_Shot_2016_08_17_at_1_54_42_PM.png

Continuing this article's rich trend of VHL graphics, here is a VHL graphic

Which FA was bigger: This or S47?

You didn’t need me to tell you, but this Free Agency class is, as the young upstarts would say, “lit”. There’s so many big names that are going to provide a big boost to whichever team they go that it’s going to be really exciting to see where they end up. It reminds me a lot of the very talented Season 47 Free Agency class, that had 13 500+ TPE players along with two Hall of Famers in Bismarck Koenig and Thomas O’Malley, along with great players like Lloyd Light, Mason Richardson, Severin Von Karma and Christoph Klose among others. It made me wonder which one of the two free agency classes was better, and I came to the conclusion that Season 47 was better in terms of the talent available to contribute right away, but at the same time it was overloaded with players in their final season, meaning that they were purely for the then and now. For that reason, I would probably say that this Free Agency class is the better of the two, with many players in a position to contribute to a team for at least two seasons. I would also say that this Free Agency class is probably more important to teams than the one back in Season 47. Back in S47, the teams were a lot more full thanks to a huge draft class in Season 40 and a decent amount of VHL quality players coming through the S41-S43 draft classes, which meant that depth wasn’t particularly difficult to come by. This season though, thanks to some shallow draft classes that have seen few second round players make the VHL, there’s a lot of teams that have a strong base in place to put themselves in a position to potentially make a push, but could really use a good 2-3 more players before they can call themselves contenders.

Will Kronos become the biggest bust since Expansion?

Having not visited the site in a month, it’s really looking worrying for Riga Reign and the development of their former first overall selection Titan Kronos. Sitting at 301 practice hours, he’s still got a decent number of hours to his name for a player who will be entering his third season in the VHL. At the same time though, with no active drive to increase that total, it’s at this point where you start to think that Kronos could end up being one of the biggest busts, if not the biggest bust, since the league expanded to ten teams if he doesn’t return to the league. I’m sure who would currently be considered the biggest bust, but I think the players that he will be likely competing with for this title would be Josef Heiss Jr. (S31 first overall selection, played just three VHL seasons before retiring), Vojczek Svoboda (S38 first overall selection, also only played three seasons in VHL), Leon Leitner (S35 third overall selection, averaged 0.57 points per game, drafted ahead of two Hall of Famers and a leader for defensemen in three all-time statistics) and the trio of seventh overall selections that never made it past the VHLM TPE threshold in Kyle Kingma, MC Hammer and Saul Hackett.