2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Hahaha yes but he also was handed a cap bonus. So yeah in terms of the cap he gets 4 Million but they gave him 13 million in the first two years. He went there for the money obviously. Better question, If you were Ehrhoff, would you rather be in Buffalo or Vancouver?

Go with the money, therefore Buffalo.

Could be an interesting little while for Buffalo with some quality in the D pipeline

I wonder how the Coyotes are feeling about trading Turris these days. He is looking real good.

Considering he wasn't going to sign with them and they got a return for him, they probably don't feel too bad. Good player, but at his age he was demanding more on his contract when he didn't deserve it. 

I would quote people but for some reason this browser isn't letting me quote so here is this

@Devise is it bad that when we were winning games we shouldn't have been winning I was actually mad?  I was so afraid that they would become what the leafs have thinking that what they were doing was good enough to win games when it wasn't.  They didn't and now we are losing game after game we should win, I mean we freaking lost to Buffalo twice.  That means something like 15.5% of Buffalo's wins this season come against the Caps.  That is nauseating.  I would rather have Latta or Erat playing over Volpatti who I don't think is even close to an NHL player.  You don't live here so you don't get to see the PR stuff (I'm guessing?) but they tried to hype up Volpatti on CRL and on CSN pretty hard for a little while there and he is the scrub to end all scrubs.  If you look at his possession stats he is like 5th worst in the league.  Also Erskine has not looked good at all since coming back and I would rather have him scratched right now.  Erskine play the most against the Malkin line last night and when he was on the ice 70% of the shots went towards our net.  I like Carrick but he is still just a rookie and he makes mistakes and Erskine has been shit and can't skate at all.  I would rather have Erskine scratched and Oleksy playing.  I am so, so miserable with the caps lately, it has been the most excruciating thing to watch because they're not a terrible team, and they've been playing up to potential but they just can't close it out.  The goalie situation gives me a headache but I am still 110% devoted Holtby and don't even think it's an option to trade him despite recent play because he is the only one who is have proven he can do well consistently.  So many people here are jumping right on to that Grubauer ship but he isn't our long term starter in my opinion.  Goalies by nature are streaky and if you compare Holtby's save percentage over the course of the games he has played to a proven NHL starter like Henrik Lundqvist they are very, very similar.  Obviously Lundqvist has more data but the graph itself is the same, goalies are streaky and Holtby will bounce back.

/devise post @ devise

@Maxy Boudreau is pretty awesome now isn't he?

@Sandro/tfong I hate Torts and if it were my team I would have probably cried when they hired him.  That said I don't think Vigneault is a great coach either and if it was between the two I wouldn't choose.  Torts plays a pretty defensive style too though, he always has so I don't know how different they have looked from Vigneault to Torts because I don't watch every game just every now and again (yay Center Ice) but I would imagine that it wouldn't be astronomically different styles.  It's not like you guys hired a super offensive coach.

Once again: The Canucks are average at best, terrible at worst. Gillis needs to make a decision: Is this team a contender? If so, MAKE A FUCKING DEAL. If not, QUIT BULLSHITTING EVERYONE. I'm not looking forward to going to the game on Saturday.

I'm in favor of a shake up if that means we can wake up some how. I feel bad for the Sedins even though they are below expectations this year, they are still the only ones doing anything along with Kesler.

I'd like to see Bieksa moved. He's actually terrible in his own end and just reliable everywhere else. If booth moves too, maybe bring in Ott and some other energy 3rd, 4th guys, it could be enough of a change to spark the line up. The biggest difference from past years is there is no internal competition for being line the lineup/2nd line. People are too comfortable.

I love this team so much, but I hate how attached I am because shit like tonight totally ruins my day. I'm close to "write of the season" territory if this keeps up, I think this core group is done. One of the top 4 d-men has to go for a top 6 forward. That is where it starts.

I love this team so much, but I hate how attached I am because shit like tonight totally ruins my day. I'm close to "write of the season" territory if this keeps up, I think this core group is done. One of the top 4 d-men has to go for a top 6 forward. That is where it starts.

I'm like that with the Leafs but they ruin my day a lot more... and I would never give up on them cause well I have nothing better to care about 

Sandro, we will trade you Schneider for Santorelli and Lack.

So trade the guy who is happy to be the backup and the guy who's 4th on the team in scoring when the team can't score... So we can go back to having a goalie controversy?

So trade the guy who is happy to be the backup and the guy who's 4th on the team in scoring when the team can't score... So we can go back to having a goalie controversy?

Exactly. It was a joke though, calm down. I know you are mad about the current situation, hell I'd be too if I were you. You are right though Gillis would have to do something dramatic with tons of benefits for people to ever restore faith in him.

Exactly. It was a joke though, calm down. I know you are mad about the current situation, hell I'd be too if I were you. You are right though Gillis would have to do something dramatic with tons of benefits for people to ever restore faith in him.

Honestly, I think a lot of people (myself included) would calm down if he just came out and stopped bullshitting everyone with this "we're cup contenders" crap. No one believes it anymore, if he were to come out and say, "Look, the team is in a transitional phase. We have our core here but we need to bring along young players to help them out", I think the mood of the fans would change. As it stands right now, it appears the guy is totally out of touch with what most people see as the reality.

• Head Moderator

Considering he wasn't going to sign with them and they got a return for him, they probably don't feel too bad. Good player, but at his age he was demanding more on his contract when he didn't deserve it.

Well his demand was like what 3-4m and he wanted multi year? Then when they balked he asked for a trade, I think that's how it went down.

I mean Rundblad doesn't look very good still but still young. But Turris is looking pretty legit now and I thought he was going to bust.