2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

I truly honestly believe that Ted Nolan deserves Coach of the Year. Once he took over it didn't matter what personnel Buffalo has had that team plays hard honest hockey. Perceived now to be a bottom dweller team and they keep beating teams that are trying to contend. 4-1 since the Olympic break, traded so many of their pieces and they still play good. He did the same thing with Latvia in the Olympics almost upsetting Canada, that man just understands how to get the most out of any group of players regardless of skill levels. 

Oh Hey Lightning, meet Jonas Enroth.

Oh Hey Lightning, meet Jonas Enroth.

Enroth played good, but the system made him look even better. Not to imply he didn't play great, but very little second opportunities for the Lightning that whole game. Tons of blocked shots, over 20 blocked shots combined for the Sabres. Make your goalie able to see all the shots he faces and take care of rebounds and block what you can. To me it's hard to deny the influence Nolan has made on that club. 

Guest Svoboda_3

I truly honestly believe that Ted Nolan deserves Coach of the Year. Once he took over it didn't matter what personnel Buffalo has had that team plays hard honest hockey. Perceived now to be a bottom dweller team and they keep beating teams that are trying to contend. 4-1 since the Olympic break, traded so many of their pieces and they still play good. He did the same thing with Latvia in the Olympics almost upsetting Canada, that man just understands how to get the most out of any group of players regardless of skill levels. 

That may belong to Patrick Roy

So ridiculous.  Gillis should be fired, entire coaching staff let go and any prime/older players need to be traded. 

Anything less then this and I'll be disappointed. Santorelli and Lack can stay. :)

Big_ExplosionjpgD0C9DC22_8CA7_4363_90A9A

Gallagher was on 1040 today and apparently the players were pissed off after the Calgary incident and have tuned Torts out. Not sure who said the next part, but apparently the players have no respect for Gillis either. My predicition: Torts is fired within the week after the season ends, Gillis steps down shortly after. Not fired or "stepping down", he'll step down of his own free will. He considered leaving after 2010-11 iirc, so I expect he'll do it now.

Gallagher was on 1040 today and apparently the players were pissed off after the Calgary incident and have tuned Torts out. Not sure who said the next part, but apparently the players have no respect for Gillis either. My predicition: Torts is fired within the week after the season ends, Gillis steps down shortly after. Not fired or "stepping down", he'll step down of his own free will. He considered leaving after 2010-11 iirc, so I expect he'll do it now.

Is Torts the issue as well then? Was under the impression the retooling was happening to give Torts the roster he wanted. Or maybe it's all just going downhill. 

On another note, not to rub in the sting but how about Seguin? What a pick up he was for Dallas kid has been on fire all season long. 

Is Torts the issue as well then? Was under the impression the retooling was happening to give Torts the roster he wanted. Or maybe it's all just going downhill. 

I don't think anyone knows what's going on now. At this point it's just all going downhill, the Canucks have been rapidly trending downhill since the beginning of 2012 but I feel like Torts inherited a ship that was sinking fast and made it sink even faster. They just need to totally clean house now.

Edited by Sandro

I don't think anyone knows what's going on now. At this point it's just all going downhill, the Canucks have been rapidly trending downhill since the beginning of 2012 but I feel like Torts inherited a ship that was sinking fast and made it sink even faster. They just need to totally clean house now.

I honestly think his system has warn on these guy and they are over it. Thus they aren't inspired to play it because it generates no offence.

Enroth played good, but the system made him look even better. Not to imply he didn't play great, but very little second opportunities for the Lightning that whole game. Tons of blocked shots, over 20 blocked shots combined for the Sabres. Make your goalie able to see all the shots he faces and take care of rebounds and block what you can. To me it's hard to deny the influence Nolan has made on that club. 

I hear rumors of Nolan leaving at the end of year, and it makes me cry

6 fucking 1

just.............................

Lack is good but he is not ready to be the starter yet. I swear to fuck if Gillis and torts are not fired or gone come seasons end I might have to pull out my Dallas Jersey

6 fucking 1

just.............................

Lack is good but he is not ready to be the starter yet. I swear to fuck if Gillis and torts are not fired or gone come seasons end I might have to pull out my Dallas Jersey

I didn't even watch that game, Glad i didnt.. I didnt really think torts was that bad of a coach until he benched Luongo for 3 games. Other than that i thought it was a decent job with a team that was falling apart. If/when torts gets fired who will replace him? and a better question who will replace Gillis

I didn't even watch that game, Glad i didnt.. I didnt really think torts was that bad of a coach until he benched Luongo for 3 games. Other than that i thought it was a decent job with a team that was falling apart. If/when torts gets fired who will replace him? and a better question who will replace Gillis

The fact we passed on Lindy Ruff was mind blowing. Im really hoping they deal Kesler at the draft and give him a fair shot to win a cup

Guest Svoboda_3

So many bad decisions made by Vancouver. Let's list them (I may miss some because I'm not a Canucks follower)\

- Firing Vigneault (Ya had a good thing, and for some reason you thought you'd find better)

- Hiring Tortorella

- The handling of the goaltending controversy

- Trading Schneider

- Trading Luongo

- Hiring Tortorella

- Benching Luongo in that Outdoor-Indoor hockey game

- That line-up fiasco from Tortorella against Calgary

- Charging the Flames' dressing room resulting in a suspension

- Trading for Kassian

- All the contracts with no-trade clauses

- Did I mention hiring Tortorella?

- Mike Gillis and his no rhyme or reason General Managing

Now there are things that are out of their control like all the injuries or the inconsistencies by their players, but man I hate the Canucks, but God has struck a lightning rod on this team. Oh well, my Avalanche are rolling along nicely now that the rebuild is finally ending.

The biggest issue was bring Torts who's system just doesn't work. I under the Kings run a defensive system but even they can score more and it's a different type of system. Torts system is built to basically shut down the opposition with no room for offence.