2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

If Feaster became GM I would no longer be a Canucks fan, I would burn all 7 of my nucks jerseys and post it on youtube, legit.

He drafted Poirer in the first round, he was predicted to in the 2nd/3rd, like LOL WUT???

He's legit dude. He took Jankowski at 21st and that's not even to mention the O'Rielly fiasco that they narrowly avoided!.

Actually Milbury might be a better replacement now that I think of it... he did draft and then trade Luongo to Florida back in the day

I've already tweeted it, but if Feaster is hired the Habs are getting promoted to my #1 team until the tragedy ends. A Feaster/Torts combo would be like the Keenan era on steroids.

lol'd so hard when I read this. the keenan era was a joke and a half.

Lets face it if ownership wants Torts to stay they hire Feaster, if they want a GM to construct a team by his own means they'll hire anybody else. Either way I feel they need to get rid of torts. The guy is costing you 15% of Luongo and has forced your top players to register career worst seasons. If that's not an indicator it's not a good fit, I'm not sure what is. Torts is a good coach and I stand behind that, he just has no idea how to run and make best of the Canucks players and the style they play the best with.

Curious, for you Canucks fans and fans of teams out of the playoffs, whose bandwagon are you jumping on for the playoffs?

I may jump on with the Red Wings or the Sharks. Although I always cheer for Hartnell's hair/beard combo no matter if the Devils are in it.

Curious, for you Canucks fans and fans of teams out of the playoffs, whose bandwagon are you jumping on for the playoffs?

Probably the Habs. First jersey I ever got was the Canucks, but the second was Montreal. My dad spent the majority of his childhood there so they've always been a team I enjoy watching. In the West, maybe Dallas. Because Benn + Seguin + Nuke + sick jerseys.

I am going to cheer for the Hawks cause ever since they beet the Nucks 2 2nd round appearances in a row and then the Canucks finally beat them in 7, I have grown to respect the Hawks. In the East Tampa Bay because I want to see them do good under Stevey Y and all the great moves he has made.

I really like the Blues, and have for a while, so I'll likely cheer for them.  In the east, I'm not sure, not really a fan of any team in the east.

The Linden hiring is an interesting one to look at, mostly positive too.

- Trevor is a good eye for talent, don't let his lack of experience in this position fool you.

- Well respected in the hockey world (ala Sakic, Yzerman).

- Working alongside him would look from an outside world to be fairly comfortable.

- As a younger guy he is in tune with what fans want from a talent and business standpoint.

- Heavily involved with the community, which makes it an easier transition for him into a power job.

I just hope the Aquilinis fuck off into the background again. Francesco has been making a fool of himself this week and I just want him to shut the hell up and stop interloping.

Advance Gilman to GM, make Naslund Assistant, then have Naslund replace Gilman in two years at the end of his contract #ez

You never, and I mean never set a motion for a guy to take over for another guy before one has even been put in that situation. It sets you up for ulterior motives done by (in this case Gilman) who only has 2 years because you already have an agenda set out for him. #notez

I just hope the Aquilinis fuck off into the background again. Francesco has been making a fool of himself this week and I just want him to shut the hell up and stop interloping.

Unfair, minus maybe the last few weeks they've been owners, and by owners I mean they hire people to control their team and not go to the forefront themselves. You have to remember this isn't the main owners fault, they're trying and Gillis and Torts stupid brain have put them in uncomfortable situations they've never have had to be in before. There's no reason to be hostile towards them, they gave MG his chance, and fired him. You can't justify firing your GM after he has just fired the Coach and he more then likely asks for another crack. Its easy to say "FIRE HIM FIRE HIM" but in the business world its harder said then done. I'll tell you right now I 100% know that the main reason of firing MG was the empty seats throughout the season. MG deserved that one last chance due to the FACT that the Canucks have never made as much money in his tenure than they have with anybody else. As a business move it makes complete sense to let your company's "bread earner" a last chance in bringing up the numbers financially, which directly correlate to the numbers on the ice. Remember, most GMs wouldn't even get fired if they had 1 non-playoff season in the last 6-7. The environment and media portrays them as "bad guys" when really their trying their best. Have they really "fucked over" the team in any way since joining? Sure they'll try to squeeze ever dollar out of you but they're BUSINESS men and they treat this as a BUSINESS. They worry about margins and growth income while they hire people and leave the hockey to them. Edited by 8Ovechkin8

You are wrong in a lot of aspects though. Yes you can pin all the blame on them but I do question their vision ideas. Why extend a guy 5 years, that means he has full reign for 5 years after you extend them, but they never let Mike Gillis do much after signing that extension (1 season). Mike Gillis sucked, but you don't extend a guy and then only give him one year to see what he can do. That's bad ownership and they know nothing about hockey, just money like you said.

You are wrong in a lot of aspects though. Yes you can pin all the blame on them but I do question their vision ideas. Why extend a guy 5 years, that means he has full reign for 5 years after you extend them, but they never let Mike Gillis do much after signing that extension (1 season). Mike Gillis sucked, but you don't extend a guy and then only give him one year to see what he can do. That's bad ownership and they know nothing about hockey, just money like you said.

But you're also forgetting that when Gillis signed he was still in the apex of the time where the team was making the most money. Who's to say things were not promised and ideas were thrown into discussion that made the signing reasonable. It's the things said/done behind closed doors we all love to pick a part and rip a part. At that point it made sense to extend him for some period of time, 5 years? Yea probably not, but remember there are two people in a contract discussion. Why on earth after being a part of 2 presidents cups and a Cup final should Gillis not get some sort of long term security. Are we going to fire him just because he wants a longer term?

Edited by 8Ovechkin8