2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

But he has the reputation for bringing out the best in players and making them play a team game. You don't think that will factor into it?

I mea Ovie hated Hunter but Laich or something said they had their best playoff hockey under him.

Yeah but I get the sense in Washington over the years is "What Ovie wants, is what Ovie gets" because he is the one selling tickets. They want to win and so does Ovie, but no one wants to face the music when they build it poorly.

Bringing out the best in players and playing a defensive system are two different things as well. You can bring out Ovie's best, but if he is playing in a defensive system he won't be having much fun. Truth is Ovie isn't a leader and Laich is the real leader on that team. Ovechkin is like Bondra, he shouldn't be counted on to lead a team with the letter, only on the scoreboard.

Guest Svoboda_3

Trotz had to instill a defensive system in Nashville because he never really had a full arsenal of offensive weapons. Given a system and team with weapons, maybe the philosophy changes?

I think Trotz is one of the best minds in hockey.

• Head Moderator

Keep in mind that Radulov fared pretty well in Nashville and if it wasn't for the self cap on the preds wouldn't have ever left for the khl.

Both him and Ovie are of similiar personalities but Trotz made it work on the ice.

We would have to rebuild our entire core to play Trotz's style of game.  He would squish Ovi and Green and Orlov and you can't convince me that we would be better off with 50 less goals a season.  Trotz would be a mistake for Washington.

Keep in mind that Radulov fared pretty well in Nashville and if it wasn't for the self cap on the preds wouldn't have ever left for the khl.

Both him and Ovie are of similiar personalities but Trotz made it work on the ice.

I actually disagree. Radulov didn't want to be here and Trotz didn't really bring out the best in Radulov nor did he play any better because he was in Trotz' system. I'm not sure what Radulov you speak of if you are talking the one who played for the Predators.

I actually disagree. Radulov didn't want to be here and Trotz didn't really bring out the best in Radulov nor did he play any better because he was in Trotz' system. I'm not sure what Radulov you speak of if you are talking the one who played for the Predators.

you mean the guy who came back to party during the playoffs with the kostitsyns?

Well at least we didn't drop from 6th. If Draisaitl or Dal Colle drop out of the top 5, Linden and Benning or whoever is GM better draft them in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I've heard mixed things about Virtanen but he's big, can score, and is a local boy so it would make sense I guess.

If I were you Sandro, I just wouldn't want Sami Kapanen's boy. He seems undersized and I don't mean heights-wise. I mean like 160 lbs soaking wet.

Edited by Kendrick

If I were you Sandro, I just wouldn't want Sami Kapanen's boy. He seems undersized and I don't mean heights-wise. I mean like 160 lbs soaking wet.

Ehlers is also pretty small, and there are some people that seem to be blowing their loads over his point totals. With Shinkaruk already in the system, and the fact the Canucks have to compete with the likes of Anaheim/LA/San Jose. I'm not sure they can have too many undersized guys unless their skills are off the charts good.

Vancouver might want Nylander. The Sedin's would aid him along nicely.

I've heard his name brought up, but since Linden was hired there's been a lot of talk about how Quinn ran the team and how he brought BC boys home and all that. I have a feeling that if no one drops out of the top 5, they're going to go for Virtanen just because he's from BC.

Edited by Sandro

I've heard his name brought up, but since Linden was hired there's been a lot of talk about how Quinn ran the team and how he brought BC boys home and all that. I have a feeling that if no one drops out of the top 5, they're going to go for Virtanen just because he's from BC.

Which isn't bad because he's still really raw with tones of room to grow. Hits, big and scores, but not the best IQ is the memo. We have many mutual friends so I hear about him a lot. Still has some what of a baby face too so there's still chance of literal growth too.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

Which isn't bad because he's still really raw with tones of room to grow. Hits, big and scores, but not the best IQ is the memo. We have many mutual friends so I hear about him a lot. Still has some what of a baby face too so there's still chance of literal growth too.

A lot of people seem to think he's a boom or bust pick, so that kind of scares me away from him. I'll admit I don't know much about a lot of this draft class though, including Virtanen.

Also, Canucks fans should want Ritchie. A big 6'3 220 lbs frame with great hands that just needs to be bag skated to the max. Skating isn't something that is a flaw at 18-19 years old, look at Bobby Ryan who was said to have horrible skating technique. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Svoboda_3

Anyone else find the World Championships a joke as a tournament? I think this tournament is the most boring and pointless tournament ever.

• Admin

Anyone else find the World Championships a joke as a tournament? I think this tournament is the most boring and pointless tournament ever.

Have to agree. I've never watched it fully except for a few parts of games and it's boring and not an accurate representation of national teams anyway because the NHL playoffs going on. Plus it happens every year which takes away from any sense of exclusivity and uniqueness (unlike the Olympics or World Cup).

But, it is fun to follow not so closely and see teams like France and Latvia pull off upsets and be happy.