2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

I think it's a good signing Kyle. Bryz is an NHL caliber goalie and I stand by that statement until proven otherwise. Playing bad on Philly is irrelevant. Every goalie plays bad on Philly, although Mason hasn't been too awful for them this year. Although a bit average. I think Bryz is motivated to make an NHL return and while I don't think he'll be winning the Vezina, I think he could be a solid starter for them for the rest of the season to help turns things around and give them a bit more confidence on the back end. 

I meant the trade.

Riiiight, because anyone is going to take Booth, what with his $4.25M contract and inability to score even in the AHL. :P

Riiiight cause allowing him to handcuff the Canucks offensively in a game is better. Scratch his ass or buy him out. You do realize their are teams out there that have cap room that you sweeten the deal for? In my opinion MG isn't one that is easy to deal with from what I've heard so it could just be laziness.

Riiiight cause allowing him to handcuff the Canucks offensively in a game is better. Scratch his ass or buy him out. You do realize their are teams out there that have cap room that you sweeten the deal for? In my opinion MG isn't one that is easy to deal with from what I've heard so it could just be laziness.

Not sure how he handicaps the Canucks offensively if he's a fourth liner. He should be able to play the role of "dump the puck, attack on the forecheck and throw a hit" pretty well until he injures himself again.

He won't be here after this season so it doesn't matter anyways.

I think it's a good signing Kyle. Bryz is an NHL caliber goalie and I stand by that statement until proven otherwise. Playing bad on Philly is irrelevant. Every goalie plays bad on Philly, although Mason hasn't been too awful for them this year. Although a bit average. I think Bryz is motivated to make an NHL return and while I don't think he'll be winning the Vezina, I think he could be a solid starter for them for the rest of the season to help turns things around and give them a bit more confidence on the back end. 

I agree with everything until your last sentence. That defence is horrible! Those forwards also have no concept of coming back to help them too, so they look even worse. They need a new identity in Edmonton and it starts with removing the GM and the assistant coaches (who seem to always stick around)

How many Flyers games have you watched this year? Steve Mason is the only reason the Flyers don't have only 1 win this year.Minus the Capitals game, he is basically the sole reason the team has any chance of winning.

The past two seasons, Ilya Bryzgalov did not perform at the level of an average starting goaltender. Period. In back to back years, Bryz put up a .909 and .900 Sv %. While definitely not great, the Flyers's defense was at least average during those two years. Bryz is insanely slow moving from post to post. In order for him to succeed, he needs to be on a team (like Phoenix) that caters to his weakness. On a team that's worse defensively than the Flyers have ever been recently, there's no way that Bryz is going to be able to succeed.

The idea that the Flyers's goaltending has been a problem over the past decade is really only half true. While the team has had problems finding a long-term solution, if you go back to the lockout, last year was the first time goaltending has been a problem since the 06-07 season. I didn't include Leighton and the 09-10 season because our goalies were fine going into the year, but any team would be in trouble if they were on their 3rd goaltender. People forget just how solid Marty Biron was for the Flyers. If he didn't price himself out of Philly, I think he would have been our goalie for at least the next two years.

About the David Booth situation, personally I think he is gone at or before the Trade Deadline. Dont get me wrong he is a decent player but for $4.5 Million?, the Canucks have issues of overpaying pying players just to keep them on the team (Panic mode). Case and point Roberto Luongo. 

if we dont see Booth gone by the end of the season Im going to riot. also i think Luongo needs to go as well Eddie Lack is a solid goaltender and needs to play a heck of alot more games

We didn't give Booth his contract, Florida did. We got him and a pick for scraps in a trade. For the most part the Canucks get really good deals when extending their players, the only issue with Luongo's contract was the length. His cap hit is $5.3M. Also, Luongo isn't going anywhere anytime soon I don't think. If he does leave, it won't be until after this season.

Edited by Sandro

We didn't give Booth his contract, Florida did. We got him and a pick for scraps in a trade. For the most part the Canucks get really good deals when extending their players, the only issue with Luongo's contract was the length. His cap hit is $5.3M. Also, Luongo isn't going anywhere anytime soon I don't think. If he does leave, it won't be until after this season.

i hope they move him.  I like the guy but his contract really hurts us unfortunatly

i hope they move him.  I like the guy but his contract really hurts us unfortunatly

Actually if you look at the league and the majority of the players salaries, his is actually a bargain. At 5.33 Million he is the 11th highest paid against the cap hit of any goaltender in the league. Through all debates and such 11 is probably where he sits on average in most experts opinions of talent at that position in the NHL. So his salary actually doesn't hurt him. When the cap goes up next year he will account for about 8% of the Canucks total salary cap, which is very small for a goaltender.

Also I agree Booth needs to go but his contract was justified back when he was the first line player Florida signed him at.

Luongo is great and if you say the Canucks should trade him then I HATE YOU

^ This. He's the best goalie we've ever had and if he sticks around and helps bring the team and the city a Cup, he'll likely have his jersey retired.

he's going to have his jersey retired regardless if he wins a cup. As long as he retires here.

It'd really depend on how those last years go. Just because of this whole controversy (not saying it was his fault), I think he's going to have to win a Cup to get it retired. Ring of Honour for sure though.

There's gonna be a section at Rogers called Lu's Corner and it'll put all the other corners to shame

Lui's Crease Club or w/e it was called has been replaced with Sedin Corner, so... yeah...

You're delusional if you think Luongo NEEDS a cup to have his number retired. If Bure gets his number retired only playing 7 seasons here based on the fact he was the best player in canucks history, I don't see why the best goalie in history would even be debated getting retired after nearly 3/4 of his career here.

Lui's Crease Club or w/e it was called has been replaced with Sedin Corner, so... yeah...

Sedin Corner sounds stupid and gingery. Luongo will soon conquer Rogers

Odjick's Outhouse (The washrooms)

Luongo's Lavatory

Roberto's Restroom

Bobby Lu's Bar

Bobby Lu's Beer Express

Bobby Lu's Beer Portable

Bobby Lu's Beer and Wine Portable

Poppy Lu's Poppery

Luongza Hut

Triple-Lu's

You're delusional if you think Luongo NEEDS a cup to have his number retired. If Bure gets his number retired only playing 7 seasons here based on the fact he was the best player in canucks history, I don't see why the best goalie in history would even be debated getting retired after nearly 3/4 of his career here.

Bure is also a Hall of Famer. If Luongo reaches that status then by all means, retire his number. But Bure's number wasn't going to be retired until Gillis and the Acquilini's rebuilt the bridge that had been burned between Bure and the organization. It remains to be seen if Luongo will stick around past this season.

Bure is also a Hall of Famer. If Luongo reaches that status then by all means, retire his number. But Bure's number wasn't going to be retired until Gillis and the Acquilini's rebuilt the bridge that had been burned between Bure and the organization. It remains to be seen if Luongo will stick around past this season.

Why is he going to the KHL or something?

Why is he going to the KHL or something?

Some people are speculating he'll demand a trade at the end of the season or be bought out. I don't see it happening, but I'm not hugely confident in him staying either.