2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Devils once again fall in the shootout, but young sniper Reid Boucher showed tons of promise scoring in his first shootout attempt and assisting on a goal. All in his first game.

Yeah our future looks good with a crop of young guys with talent. Love it

Heritage classic tickets onsale today too. Don't feel like dishing out 250+ to watch a hockey game on the jumbotron.

Yeah, not worth it at all. Could've done the pre-sale because of season tickets, but no one in my family was interested and I was just like "It'd be cool to go but I have no issue missing it". Going to be a pretty lookin' hockey game, both jerseys are fantastic.

Devils fan? I keep liking you more and more.  :ph34r:

Born in Germany, moved to Princeton when I was 2. Devils fan ever since (although I should mention when I was 4 I visited my uncle in Vancouver in 1993 and thats when I met Bure at the hospital) which is why I was a Bure fan growing up.

Edited by Kendrick

more playing time possibly. extra year to devlop and iron out some stuff is my guess.

Well that's why he was sent down in the first place, yeah. It wouldn't hurt for him to come up and play a few games, same thing they did with Tanev.  Plus, the distribute ice time pretty evenly among the d-men. Bieksa is on the "third pair" but is second in ATOI. Slide Garrison over to the left side and drop Corrado on the pair with him, and they're set.

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Corrado

Stanton - Bieksa

It was all a very tough incident. I'm not going to condone what Thornton did...but at the same time...the game was SUPER chippy at that point. The opening shift you had Lou Eriksson go off injured on a hit by Orpik. While Orpik kept his shoulders tucked and it was a clean hit that way, it was easily a missed interference call. Especially on a player like Eriksson who has concussion history. Then Neal knee'd Marchand in the head, which also looked intentional. I suspect he'll get suspended a few games for that on his hearing. 

It's one of the reasons why while I still support fighting in hockey....I often wonder if the "enforcer" role needs to get removed. It DOESN'T work. People find all these use cases where they fight someone and it simmers the game down but when you have two heated teams going against each other in playoff style hockey with tons of hitting, enforcing does nothing. The best solution is to play through it. All the enforcing does is create fights that don't solve anything, then lead to these type of scrums. Thornton was trying to stick up for his teammates but went about it all wrong, do you think the next time these two teams play there isn't going to be fights, hits, and plenty of dirty stuff? Of course. The flood gates are open. 

To me this is no different than what Emery did to Holtby. If a fighter doesn't want to engage he shouldn't have to. It's the NHL not boxing. Fighting should be left to people who choose to fight. If nobody on a team chooses to fight then your enforcers and your team need to get your "payback" on the scoreboard and in the play. Play more physical on them without going over the line. Egg them into wanting to fight you to get your fight without sucker punching and hurting people. Thronton will easily get suspended for what he did and rightfully so, but the NHL needs to stop pretending the violence in the game isn't an issue. It has been at an all time high this season, concussions EVERYWHERE despite their stance on it. Enough is enough. Clear cut rules on when and how you can fight in this league, on what you need to do if someone isn't willing to fight need to be dolled out. 

Bruins fans are saying the nhl is unfair to them and that orpik was faking. They said the same thing about the Pacioretty thing unreal the delusion in that city.

While a ton of Bruins fans are douche bags that can be said for any hockey city fans. The crowd was silent as all hell and clapped for Orpik in attendance. So saying "Bruins fans" is a bit of a generalization with your statement. You'll get people who are super negative/make you want to give up on humanity everywhere though. 

While a ton of Bruins fans are douche bags that can be said for any hockey city fans. The crowd was silent as all hell and clapped for Orpik in attendance. So saying "Bruins fans" is a bit of a generalization with your statement. You'll get people who are super negative/make you want to give up on humanity everywhere though. 

And they chanted "flopper" after Boychuk broke Raymond's back.