2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

time to pick a new team

Flyers, you have now been traded as a fan to the Florida Panthers. You now are one of 13 fans (including Fernando Garcia, former VHL'er).

Can't you at least trade me to Nashville or something? 

Go watch the Isle play. Same division, growing team, new arena, likely going to add more players to make a push. May not be Cup winners right away but a lot of compete in them and offensive ability. 

Here is a legit question for you though. What is your GM going to do next? Obviously it is going to take one more "move" that goes sour before owners decide to give Holmgren the boot, but what will it be? I honestly don't even know if Giroux is untouchable since he traded pretty much every "big star" that the team had at one point. As in Richards, Carter, and Briere all being gone. I wonder if he is in the mix for Ryan Miller as well. 

Go watch the Isle play. Same division, growing team, new arena, likely going to add more players to make a push. May not be Cup winners right away but a lot of compete in them and offensive ability. 

Here is a legit question for you though. What is your GM going to do next? Obviously it is going to take one more "move" that goes sour before owners decide to give Holmgren the boot, but what will it be? I honestly don't even know if Giroux is untouchable since he traded pretty much every "big star" that the team had at one point. As in Richards, Carter, and Briere all being gone. I wonder if he is in the mix for Ryan Miller as well. 

Ever since Richards and Carter were traded to LA, I try to catch a couple Kings games every year. Thanks to Brandon (I think that's who it was), I'll be able to catch more than usual this year.

I have no idea what Holmgren is going to do, and that's for better or for worse. Also, Snider will never give Holmgren "the boot." Either during or after the season, Holmgren will "step down into a scouting role" and presumably Hextall will become the next GM. While I hope Hextall will be able to change the way the Flyers approach team defense and young players (more towards how L.A. did it when he was Ass. GM), I doubt the Flyers Mentality will change until Snider is no longer owner of the team. During Berube's introductory press conference, a reporter (full disclosure: One of our many dumbass reporters more interested in covering the Flyers like TMZ than actual hockey) asked Snider about hiring outside the Flyers Family and something about a culture change. Snider replied rather snidely "What culture change? We don't need a culture change." For those who don't know, Snider is basically the Al Davis of the NHL. Also, as the fans in Montreal now know, Briere was hardly a star when he left. While he put up some great years in Philly, his offensive creativity was basically non-existant last season and he killed every line he was on both offensively and defensively.

There is no reason for the team to be in the mix for Miller. Mason has been absolutely spectacular thus far. Without him, there's a real possibility that the team would have 1 win this year, and that's the 1 game in which we've managed to score more than 3 goals. Hell, even our defense has been at least above average every night minus the Caps game. This team's failures are on the offense plain and simple. Giroux isn't getting it done, Schenn has no hockey I.Q. whatsoever, Hartnell and Simmonds are redundant on the same team and both have been awful. Couturier looks like a tall, gangly, 20 year old kid who needs to fill out in order for his offensive game to come around. Kimmo Timonen's play has absolutely fallen off of a cliff this year. While we're at it, I have no idea why we're playing Andrej Meszaros (AWFUL) and Hal Gill (who's been okay, not great) over Gustaffson (honestly one of our best d-men so far this year, which is both good and bad) and L. Schenn, who hasn't been great this year, but hasn't been awful either.

Richardson up to 5 goals, 9 points now. Would be tied for the team lead in goals in LA.  :ph34r:

Yes we suck at scoring goals, we know.

Also:

Dear Holmgren,

Thanks for Richards, we will also take Giroux off your hands as well.

Thanks,

Dean Lombardi

Yes we suck at scoring goals, we know.

Also:

Dear Holmgren,

Thanks for Richards, we will also take Giroux off your hands as well.

Thanks,

Dean Lombardi

I really wish we could have gotten Voynov instead of B. Schenn in that deal. Would have made it a little less sour. I also think if we don't get B.Schenn, we don't trade JVR for L.Schenn.

It's gonna be interesting once the Canucks are healthy, how are they going to do the lines? Archibald-Richardson-Kassian are building some chemistry and don't deserve to become the fourth line.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - Burrows

Archibald - Richardson - Kassian

Booth - Schroeder - Hansen

Weise

Not too shabby IMO.

It's gonna be interesting once the Canucks are healthy, how are they going to do the lines? Archibald-Richardson-Kassian are building some chemistry and don't deserve to become the fourth line.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - Burrows

Archibald - Richardson - Kassian

Booth - Schroeder - Hansen

Weise

Not too shabby IMO.

Ship Booth off and waive Weise. Pick someone up with heart and talent. (Even an ounce of it)

Ship Booth off and waive Weise. Pick someone up with heart and talent. (Even an ounce of it)

Riiiight, because anyone is going to take Booth, what with his $4.25M contract and inability to score even in the AHL. :P

I think it's a good signing Kyle. Bryz is an NHL caliber goalie and I stand by that statement until proven otherwise. Playing bad on Philly is irrelevant. Every goalie plays bad on Philly, although Mason hasn't been too awful for them this year. Although a bit average. I think Bryz is motivated to make an NHL return and while I don't think he'll be winning the Vezina, I think he could be a solid starter for them for the rest of the season to help turns things around and give them a bit more confidence on the back end.