2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Some people are speculating he'll demand a trade at the end of the season or be bought out. I don't see it happening, but I'm not hugely confident in him staying either.

Yeah I don't know why you aren't confident with him. The next option is Lack, and he sure isn't ready. Luongo is a top 10 goaltender when he is hot. I don't understand why everyone is bad talking him. You all say he would have his number in the rafters, but then say you aren't confident. The one thing I've noticed while living here is that it's one day building rome, the next tearing down the walls. Vancouver needs to back their players, despite what you think of management or anything, back the players. Except Dale Weise, that guy is terrible.

Luongo can demand a trade all he wants by the way, but he put himself in a shitty situation when he has a limited NTC. The teams he wants to go too all have sorted out their goaltender situations. If you think Florida will take him and have Thomas be the back up, you've been smoking too much of the ganja. If you think TBL will take him and put Bishop on the bench where he won't further develop, you are also kidding. He is a top 10 goaltender, but at his age he isn't worthy of trading for to be your #1 ahead of any average-above average guy any team has in their lineup already.

Yeah I don't know why you aren't confident with him. The next option is Lack, and he sure isn't ready. Luongo is a top 10 goaltender when he is hot. I don't understand why everyone is bad talking him. You all say he would have his number in the rafters, but then say you aren't confident. The one thing I've noticed while living here is that it's one day building rome, the next tearing down the walls. Vancouver needs to back their players, despite what you think of management or anything, back the players. Except Dale Weise, that guy is terrible.

Luongo can demand a trade all he wants by the way, but he put himself in a shitty situation when he has a limited NTC. The teams he wants to go too all have sorted out their goaltender situations. If you think Florida will take him and have Thomas be the back up, you've been smoking too much of the ganja. If you think TBL will take him and put Bishop on the bench where he won't further develop, you are also kidding. He is a top 10 goaltender, but at his age he isn't worthy of trading for to be your #1 ahead of any average-above average guy any team has in their lineup already.

Kendrick, you really gotta stop twisting my words. I have no issues with Luongo the player, I'm very happy we kept him because when he's hot he is one of the best goalies in the league like you said. However, I'm not confident in whether or not he's willing to stay here. If things were really as fractured between him and the team as it appeared last season, then I don't think he will care if Lack is ready or not. I'm talking about beyond this season right now. I don't see Thomas in Florida after this season, if only because of Markstrom. I would love for Luongo to stay and I truly hope he does, but I really can't get a good read of the situation right now. I am in no way tearing him down. I simply stated that I don't know if he will have his jersey retired by the team.

Edited by Sandro

so i told you guys Schneider was all but gone. Luongo FTW. Best Goalie canucks will ever have. Ever. IDGAF what yall say. Luongo saved the Canucks from the Dan Clouiter*/Alex Auld tandem. He brought us into the 2nd round of the playoffs against the canucks in his first season saving 70 shots in a game that went into a 4th overtime. He won a damn gold medal. Vancouvers all time leading winner and SO. Should have won the cup if he had a little more offensive support in the SCF. god dammit if anyone bad mouths him one more time im gonna murder all of you. 

Luongo would be alot better if defense stepped up (Minus Tanev kids a sexy beast)

Minus Stanton, Tanev and Bieksa imo. Those three are the only ones I've seen play the role they've been instructed too. Garrison, Hamhuis and Edler have done little to nothing (with exception to their offensive talents)

I agree, the Defense as a whole needs to step up and sacrifice their bodies for Luongo. Otherwise how can you expect him to do that same?

A goaltender can only stop so many shots a gam

Well technically he hasn't been getting 40 shots, sometimes not even 30 shots so thats actually partly false haha

Hey smart-ass i was making a general statement :P

I wish Edler would step it the hell up on the powerplay, but he hasn't been noticeable for much of the season and I consider that a good thing. Saw him way too often for all the wrong reasons last season. Garrison's play has really dropped off from the first 5-6 games and Hamhuis has just been bad this season.

I said if Luongo stays here for the rest of his career he will be retired, so I don't know what you mean by it remains to be seen if he sticks around, as my argument is based on if he stays. That being said, him leaving this organisation is about a 1/1000000000 chance. He's been all but guaranteed everything he pretty much wants now. If he wanted to leave he would have left this season, I don't see how it makes ANY sense what so ever to leave after playing a full season. This situation is drawn way out of proportion by people like you, who always assume the worst in a player's future action. Like a guy that put up with all this crap for 2 years, like a professional and was a complete good sport about it, is going to demand his way out of an organisation when the instable situation turns into a stable system, and where he pretty much has management by a string. Yea fricking right give me a break.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

I said if Luongo stays here for the rest of his career he will be retired, so I don't know what you mean by it remains to be seen if he sticks around, as my argument is based on if he stays. That being said, him leaving this organisation is about a 1/1000000000 chance. He's been all but guaranteed everything he pretty much wants now. If he wanted to leave he would have left this season, I don't see how it makes ANY sense what so ever to leave after playing a full season. This situation is drawn way out of proportion by people like you, who always assume the worst in a player's future action. Like a guy that put up with all this crap for 2 years, like a professional and was a complete good sport about it, is going to demand his way out of an organisation when the instable situation turns into a stable system, and where he pretty much has management by a string. Yea fricking right give me a break.

Calm down there lmfao. If Luongo continues to play at the level we know he's able to for the rest of his career, then absolutely he should go to the rafters because he'd be top 5 in a lot of goaltending stats and probably a Hall of Famer. So under the scenario where he stays, yes, he will be retired. I'm just not sure if it'll happen yet. It seemed set in stone that Luongo was going to be gone and Schneider was here to stay, and then that didn't happen so I'm not going to sit here and try and predict the future.

And seriously, when was the last time I talked about Luongo's situation? I was disappointed to see Schneider go, but also really happy Luongo stayed. He handled the entire situation with a level of class not many people could. I said if things were as fractured as it appeared to be at times, that they may not be able to repair the relationship between Luongo and the organization. It may not have been that bad at all and things are totally fine, I don't know because I don't sit in Mike Gillis's office.

We're speaking purely in hypotheticals regardless of which side of the matter we're on, no need to get so testy. Same with SS91 saying he's going to "kill" anyone who bad mouths Luongo, that was just unnecessary.

Edited by Sandro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPKApOQMg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_dpu5-jk8

What is fucking wrong with him?!

Taking a page out of Lupul's book.

What is fucking wrong with him?!

on the first play which he got suspend for I have no idea what he was doing but the 2nd hit was fine. also the fox broadcasters are really bad and don't know what hockey is 

Edited by gregreg

on the first play which he got suspend for I have no idea what he was doing but the 2nd hit was fine. also the fox broadcasters are really bad and don't know what hockey is 

As much as i think the second hit is fine (contacted with the shoulder) the intention was to drive his shoulder up into his head. I hate when people say "principle point of contact was the chest" because it basically means "All is forgiven" when really, it isn't. If a guy hits you in the chest it won't hurt all that much. If a guy hits you in the chest and rides up and hits your head, it still has the same effect as hitting him in the head. I hate the wording. Legal, but I hate the hit.

As much as i think the second hit is fine (contacted with the shoulder) the intention was to drive his shoulder up into his head. I hate when people say "principle point of contact was the chest" because it basically means "All is forgiven" when really, it isn't. If a guy hits you in the chest it won't hurt all that much. If a guy hits you in the chest and rides up and hits your head, it still has the same effect as hitting him in the head. I hate the wording. Legal, but I hate the hit.

Then I'm guessing you hated hockey in the 90's lol and you must of hated Scott Stevens 

• Head Moderator

Landeskog - Getzlaf - Hossa

D. Brown - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Bournival - Spezza - Yakupov

McArthur - Bonino - Panik

J. Staal

Kunitz

Monahan

Gaborik IR

Girardi - Gelinas

Markov - Dekeyser

Guenin - Borowiecki

Morris IR

Howard

Lehtonen

18 team keeper league

Honestly regarding the Kadri stuff the play on Backstrom to me was absolutely suspendable. He should of been thrown out on that play as well to be honest. As for the Grandlund hit, I agree that it wasn't nearly as severe as the first hit, that Granlund was admiring the play, had his head down and if because he did the hit looked far worse than it needed to be. But Kadri targeted his shoulder up and if you watch the play Grandlund had his head down for quite some time. He didn't instantly jolt into the more vulnerable position. Kadri had plenty of time to see the players positioning, and should of altered the nature of his hit to compensate for that. I don't think it's a suspendable hit though. On that play I think a match penalty is fine. If it continues to happen then sure, suspend the player for it but it's one of those situations where some punishment needs to be brought in to let the player know to be less reckless and pay attention to the position of the opposing player.