b

Will

• Senior Admin

Playoff Surprise: Toronto Sends Calgary Packing

Heading into Season 51, the Calgary Wranglers were the indisputable favorites to win this season after picking up a series of high-profile, and who were supposed to be high-impact, free agents. This is evidenced clearly be the yearly award predictions in which all but a handful of people predicted Calgary to win the Continental Cup. Unfortunately for those people, as of the other day, they will be missing out on some prediction points.

In an upset, the Toronto Legion eliminated Calgary handily and set the stage for their fourth straight finals appearance. The free agents that signed in Calgary expecting something of a 'sure thing' are left with embarrassment and one less years left to play, and longtime Wranglers GM Austin Gow is rumored to be exploring options to replace himself. We don't yet know who Toronto will be facing in the finals yet as we await the conclusion of the EU Semi-Finals between Riga and Cologne. 

For Calgary, it's unclear what future they face beyond this season. A large part of the controversy surrounding the multiple big name free agents that signed with the Wranglers was that they all signed only one-season contracts with the franchise. And so, after a loss like this, it's not at all inconceivable that we could see some or all of them leave. Then again, perhaps they don't want more bad publicity and will choose to stay. It's hard to say and aside, we first have to get through the finals where we could see Toronto further make history by winning 4 seasons in a row.

As for my personal thoughts about this season, I don't know, it's disappointing after trying twice in Quebec and then moving here with a little higher expectations only to not get any further than before. And by the same GD team to boot! But I do have to give credit where credit is due to Toronto and the guys that have been there for awhile putting in work. I can't say for sure what went wrong but I have one season left and it's a good thing because my interest in this career is waning. The good old days in Helsinki set the bar too high (it must have been the GM ;)).

In other news, because I need a few more words, we watched the UFC card last night. 'Soldier of God' is a god damn beast. Wideman must have had a hell of a headache today. I was kind of hoping Alvarez would put up more of a fight but alas, he was no match. Also - big, big, fan of Bruce Buffer's suit last night. I need to get myself one of those ahead of the VHL Award Ceremony this year. 

:cal: :cal: