Claimed:mes souvenirs

Will

• Senior Admin

REFLECTING ON SEASONS PAST

STZ is taking a well-deserved vacation from the magazine this week so I find myself in the Media Spot forum once again and today I thought I would partake in some vivid recollection of seasons past. If you're lucky, this might become a series of sorts! I joined the VHL in the off-season after Season 36, just the day before the VHLM draft of that season. I didn't get a chance to really learn much about the league in the 12 hours between the time I joined and the time I was drafted, but I did do a rookie profile or some shit and for that, I assume, Eaglesfan decided to draft me with a the 10th overall pick. There was 10 teams in the league at that time so it was the last pick in the first round.

I happened to be in the middle of watching Mad Men at the time I joined so that's where my username came from. To tell you the truth I have wanted to change it at different times but it feels like it's too far gone. 

I was lucky to be drafted to Yukon as my first ever team. It was a competitive team with an active locker room and that surely helped keep my interest in the league. Eaglesfan is also an excellent VHLM GM by the way and that was a big help for a new person. I don't remember the whole team and I'm not going to go look at this time but know we had guys like Seth, Devilsfire, and Munk in there. The latter two were pretty decent looking prospects at the time but both fiizzled out rather quickly. Munk was pretty much exactly who he is now. 

Over that season I earned a lot off TPE completing my point tasks every week and doing my biography and all that kind of shit. I was pretty active and eventually got hired as a grader by then head grader Flyersfan at some point during Season 37. I was a writing grader and for that season it was essentially just Slobo, Flyers, and myself grading writing point tasks. Graders were actually important back then so we were quite busy. Looking back, I never did get along well with Slobo's university essay caliber grading so it's a bit funny that I would eventually be the one to blow grading up altogether. 

Yukon ended up winning the Founder's Cup in Season 37 and while my player reflected the fact that I was a shitty new guy that season, I was nonetheless happy to finish my first season with a win. There wasn't a whole lot else that went on that season of note. If I recall correctly I didn't really do much posting around the general boards for the first few months I was here despite pretty active, I mostly kept to game threads or the locker room unless I was posting a point task. 

The next big event for me was my first and, to date, only experience in the VHL Entry Draft. I was an S38 player. However, it appears I have eaten up the word count already so this and the rest of my Season 38 story will be continued in the next segment of my memoirs. I'm actually considering doing the next portion in podcast form, I keep meaning to do one. 

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Slobo's way of grading is the way we used to do it back when I first started. I know I gave out my share of 5/6's just for grammar, with a couple 3's and 4's thrown in there as well.

GFX wasn't much easier back in the day. Giving new guys 4's was relatively commonplace.

All this Magazine stuff headed to the lowly Media Spots = more quality content spread around IMO

I remember being here my first time and helping with that level grading, felt harsh at times but somewhat justified. 

Please do a podcast form, that'd be awesome!

Approved