Claimed:Yukon Mounting Comeback in VHLM Finals

scoop

Yukon Mounting Comeback in VHLM Finals

Down 3-0 in the VHLM Finals, the Yukon Rush appeared headed for a second place finish behind the Bratislava Watchmen. The Rush had just finished a series against the reigning champions, coming back from a 3-2 deficit in the series to take down the Saskatoon Wild in seven games. With five games now played against Bratislava, the Rush find themselves in the same situation: down a game, needing to win the next two. They were able to do it against Saskatoon, and now if they want to complete the reverse sweep to take home their first Founder's Cup since Season 38, they'll need to pull it off again.

The Watchmen and the Rush were first and second in the regular season standings, respectively, so for them to both be here in the finals is no big surprise. During the regular season, the Rush won seven of the 12 head-to-head matchups between the two, most of which were close, with a couple of blowouts in Yukon's favor.

The series began with both teams having championship aspirations. Bratislava came out swinging, scoring the first goal of the series just eight seconds into game one. The games were close, to continue the trend, but Bratislava managed to take down the first three wins. A shutout in game three had Yukon on the ropes. Astrid Moon, against whom the Rush had put up some big numbers during the regular season, was playing a much improved game.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/rapidcityjournal.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/9b/59bdc248-203e-59ae-b8c3-ed0ddb3fe9af/59bdc248-203e-59ae-b8c3-ed0ddb3fe9af.image.jpg

The top regular season goalie, mist4ke, helped carry Yukon to a game five win against Bratislava.

Up three games to none, the Watchmen decided to rest Moon for a game and give Vernon Von Axelberry a start, his first of the playoffs. Yukon took advantage and won the game 4-3, sending Axelberry back to the bench for likely the remainder of the series. Still in must-win mode, the Rush earned a trip back to Yukon for game six in large to a strong 32-save performance from mist4ke. The star goalie had not been having the best series thus far, but he was the best regular season goalie and the carry potential is certainly there.

Coming into the season, the Rush weren't necessarily expecting to be a top two team. While playoffs were always a certainty, the team was anticipating a lower seed with upset potential. Much of the team will be back in Season 52, with the offensive star Pierre Gaudette possibly being the only player to move up to the VHL, though they will also lose Apollo Aho to the draft. Depending on where mist4ke is drafted in the VHL, he may choose to start his VHL career and leave the Rush behind. Yukon is not without the draft picks to replace the players they are losing.  They hold their own first and second round picks, along with Saskatoon and Bern's third round picks.

While the Rush know that they have a promising Season 53 ahead of them, they are still in the playoffs this season. They have already come back from a 3-2 deficit once in the playoffs, and they could certainly do it again.

for Maxwell

8 minutes ago, Higgins said:

The Axelberry curse as it will be known

For more reasons then one ;) 

They started me and lost

I openly started to cheer for Yukon for my own amusement

Went back to moon and lost

I still cheer for Yukon because it's funny

Game 6? Loss? I don't care. If we win I win a cup, if we lose I laugh. Win Win all day long

Review:

heck yeah, boi! We were just letting them get comfortable tbh. Would be cool if we can go back to back, since Sasky failed to do so :( anyways, grading this after game 6. 5-1 victory, big time win! Hopefully sim momentum is on our side going into Bratislava.

537 words :D