Claimed: The S55 Sterling Labatte award winner is...?

11645159.jpg?size=sw620x65

*The S55 Labatte award winner on the runner-up*

I already did it in last season and it's time to make another prediction topic. Last time, someone named Guntis Petenis took took the Labatte award (and not only that) and now the question is: will he regain his best defenseman award? Here are 5 guys who are hoping to be named the best S55 defenseman. 

NOTE: Quebec, Calgary, Toronto and New York have 1 game left in regular season, so some stats are not accurate enough.

BOBBY DIGITAL - :nya:

@gorlab

In S54, he was contending for the Labatte award with 0 goals so his upgrade to 5 goals in this season is looking impressive. However, his scoring won't be enough to outmatch other defs. Also, his 75 points is enough for only 4th among all defenders. But his defensive game is on point - 213 hits and 126 shot blocks so far (71 games played, we have only two games left in regular season) are solid stats and what's more important, he once again was the NY's defensive cornerstone as Robert Jelen is just another VHLM level def. And once again he proved that he can carry team's defense so he's a legit contender. 

FABIO JOKINEN - :que:

@jRuutu

The older Jokinen brother is on pace to being the Quebec's legend as he never left Quebec since he was drafted there and his stats are saying the entire story. This time, he amassed 18 goals and 62 assists for 80 points which is always solid for the blue liner. His defensive side also deserves to be noticed - 173 hits+83 shot blocks. Pretty fine stats in the best NA team, I'd say. 

GUNTIS PETENIS - :que:

unnamed *(^_^)*

It's surprising to see this guy on this list after a mediocre start, but right now he will likely remain as one of the best defencemans even if he won't get an award. Unsurprisingly, his stats went down comparing to last season, but even that is enough to contend. His hitting game still remains as his strength - 246 hits is the best among all defs and Guntis is the only D in the hit's TOP 10. And he is still an offensive threat with 26 goals (only Savard has more) with 399 shots (best).

And I never was supposed to make Guntis an offensive def when I created him...lol.

LEE KING SNATCH - :sto:

@Smarch

He already showed flashes of his offensive talent in S54, but now his took his game to another level. He's leading all defs in points (92) and he was pretty decent in stopping shots (101 shot blocks) and that's a strong statement from a guy who used to be a scrub in VHLM. And he has 2 more seasons before he hits the first stage of regression: you can already imagine which numbers he's going to produce after this season. 

ROMAN SOKOLOV - :tor:

@Beketov

Yeah, he has the -4 ratio, but don't let it distract you from the fact he had -45 in last year, so his performance is already is a step up. Not only that, he was able to make an improvement in almost all other categories: 74 points, 210 hits and 240(!) shot blocks (league's best). You can say that he was playing in a mediocre team, hence these stats. And my answer is - yes you're right and also, not everybody can put these kind of stats while playing in a non-playoff team with a VHLM level player (Girrard) so I won't retract my opinion on Sokolov - he's a contender for the Labatte award. 

And who's the winner? 

First of all, I'll make some cuts:

*Fabio Jokinen is the reliable def in overall, but he's not the best in any category so that might kill his chances;

*Bobby Digital's point count simply won't be enough to fight for an award. And ''only'' +49 ratio might be another nail in the coffin;

*Roman Sokolov's -4 still is too low and I'm afraid his SB and hits stats won't be enough to outweigh the bad.

So it might come down to two persons. So the winner of S55 best defenseman award is:

Guntis Petenis.

Alright, that was a joke, don't be bitch about it. The man who will likely this award is:

LEE KING SNATCH

Why: both guys are ''exchanging blows'' in different categories, but I think the shot block stats will be decisive and LKS has the advantage: 101 against 88(?). Does Petenis still has a chance? Well, if he only scores 6-7 points against Toronto to make things more complicated, but I don't see that happening, so I think Snatch will take an award. 

That's it and I'm out. 

6 TPE goes to Krīgars

• Commissioner

I definitely choked a potential Labatte by having a shitty second half to the season but I think eliminating Sokolov from contention based on +/- seems unnecessary. Every other contender was playing on a top team so naturally their +/- would be better than a player who's on a rebuilding team and playing on every line. At the end of the day I was still 5th in D scoring and was massively above everyone else in shots blocked.

Do I necessarily think I deserve the award: probably not. Like I said, I played like shit in the second half, but ignoring a huge lead in a major defensive category seems ill-advised.

32 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I definitely choked a potential Labatte by having a shitty second half to the season but I think eliminating Sokolov from contention based on +/- seems unnecessary. Every other contender was playing on a top team so naturally their +/- would be better than a player who's on a rebuilding team and playing on every line. At the end of the day I was still 5th in D scoring and was massively above everyone else in shots blocked.

Do I necessarily think I deserve the award: probably not. Like I said, I played like shit in the second half, but ignoring a huge lead in a major defensive category seems ill-advised.

I just needed an explanation why Sokolov likely won't get an award :P And I actually was praising your +/-. calling it a step up. I just have a feeling that award committee (or w/e) will not risk to name a minus player as the best defenceman despite of his impressive def play. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong with that.

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: The S55 Sterling Labatte award winner is...?