Claimed: Legitimate VHLM Change Thoughts

Devise

It's no secret that I think the VHLM shouldn't be a league anymore. I just don't see how it makes sense to focus our efforts and the work of a dwindling member base on two leagues. It separates the interest and hard work for no reason. It divides the league. And we don't have the member base to support a minor league and a major league imo. The solution to most members early on was just reduce the VHLM's teams and all teams compete. It's a silly system, it's created super teams even though some may argue we had upsets. Are they really upsets? Super teams aren't about just playoff wins, it's about making sure the regular season is fun for members. That is one of our biggest hurdles in general that people seem to never acknowledge. THE REGULAR SEASON CAN BE SUPER FUCKING BORING. Like deathly. Have you seen Season 55 in general? Probably the least active time for the VHL as a league. I'm talking I could come onto the site a a regular ass time and see 3 users logged in. What? Meanwhile go log onto any other more popular sim league, regardless of sport, and sometimes your 20-30 members deep logged in at even the worst hours. 

But I digress. I'm here to talk about what I would do with the VHLM if I "could." For starters, if we are going to make it a smaller league with 4-5 teams for my money we need to change how players get to teams. In fact change in drastically. So here is some of my suggestions.

Remove permanence in the VHLM. It's meaningless. Real players don't stay on rosters more than 2 seasons, unless they are really milking slow TPE. Which means having draft rights to players just leads to teams loading up on inactives to compile rosters and mixing and matching those inactives with actives, recreates, and new players. One of the biggest problems the VHLM has always faced is that competing is very much always at odds with trying to promote your players and grow your team. Which obviously is the point of a development league. 

To fix that my suggestion is to no longer have any permanence. Every season all the rosters should be erased, and we should hold a league wide VHLM draft for all the eligible players. This ensures a shake up of teams every single season. This way the GM's who draft and build their teams the best are likely to have the best success, but it puts on the onus on the GM's every single season to be paying attention to who is active, who is earning, and who to best build their team around. It also doesn't punish people for putting their faith in a player who may be headed up to the VHL a season later. The positioning for who drafts first in these league wide reshuffles every season will remain the same, based on standings/playoffs. 

Coupled with these reshuffles, any member who has been inactive for at least a whole season, or a season and a half should be determined ineligible from these reshuffles. This is a development league, inactives shouldn't be stealing roster spots from actives. The VHLM commishes could come up with an eligible player list for any reshuffle. We could stick with a free agency system or a waiver wire system for new members, recreates, etc. As that would still fit in fine with this format. 

This would also have an impact on how the trading system works. In this system, no picks should ever be allowed to be traded. Period. Trades should only involve players, and to make sure rosters stay competitive and have a big enough team so that no new member every has a bad or inactive time, there should be roster size minimums and maximums. Which means that GM's could only trade players for players, and since they would only be keeping said players for a season this would probably revolve around more hockey deals than anything else, based on positional team needs. This means that teams would be not just helping themselves, but the whole league out by making trades. Since trades in this environment would all be situational. For example waiver wiring or signing a defender when you already have that spot nailed but need a forward, and another team has a forward they could get rid of. The goal of the VHLM should be that the act of competing and trying to build the best team should also lead to the best overall experience for our members, especially new ones. I'd argue that a format change like this helps accommodate that better, without simply punishing GM's and telling them they basically have to sacrifice their focus on competing or competing as hard in the name of development. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by Devise

5 minutes ago, Corco said:

put me in coach

Legit was debating on making a suggestion to have you replace Bana as Commish for a bit now. Your the obvious right candidate and I must say your dedication and attention to the VHLM regardless has been impressive.