Claimed: Oslo Draft Review

Megster

Oslo Storm Draft Review

The Oslo Storm entered into the draft last night without a first round pick, a result of the team selling the farm to go all in last season only to lose in the semi-finals.  After the retirement of VHLM Forever, the aging out of Our Lady of Perpetual Motion, and the inevitable forced call ups of Jack Shephard and Aackckqz Ky it seemed that the Oslo Storm would be in for a long term rebuild.  After struggling for several hours to acquire more picks in the draft to speed up the rebuild and having every trade fall through general manager Megster decided to stay put and do her best at drafting.  How did she do?  In her own words:

“It didn’t quite go how I wanted it to.  I missed out on a lot of good players, but I got a lot of good ones at the same time.  I guess in the end what I wanted was to get more lower round draft picks to foster some of these first generation talents, but it just didn’t work out because I didn’t have much bargaining power.  I am happy but disappointed, I wanted more players on my roster, but I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles.  We got a lot of great guys though, some very veteran members and some new ones as well.  I just hope we have an active locker room this season, I will be very happy.”

So let’s take a look at the draft picks from this draft and see who ended up getting selected to represent the Oslo Storm.

8th Overall – Boner

Position: Defense

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 200 lbs

Birthplace: Brussels, Belgium

Practice Hours: 144

Boner is going to be a good, strong, stay at home, hit ‘em hard defenseman.  His top attribute is his checking with an 81 rating.  He also has great defense and strength with a 70 and 75 rating in each respectively.  Boner is also an expert skater which is important for a defenseman even at the VHLM level.  Boner had 0 goals and 6 assists in 8 games at the World Junior Championships.  He managed a +5 and had an astounding 34 hits, as well as 13 blocked shots leading the gold medal winning team Europe in both categories.  Boner is expected to be one of the best defensemen in the VHLM this season, and you better keep your head up when he is on the ice.

13th Overall – Sadio Salah

Position: Right Wing

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 175 lbs

Birthplace: USA

Practice Hours: 66

Sadio Salah was selected in the 3rd round.  His player agent is well known for producing some high quality players dating all the way back to S17.  Salah looks like he is going to be your stereotypical true blue sniper.  His skating and scoring both have ratings of 70 points and his puck handling has a rating of 46.  All the essentials you need to become a great goal scorer in the league.  Salah had 1 goal and 1 assist for 2 points in the World Junior Championships with the bronze medal winning USA.  His hits and shot blocks are also nothing to write home about but Salah did play only 74 minutes in the whole tournament.  With 3rd line minutes and no special teams time it’s not surprising that Salah lacked production.  Overall Salah is expected to form into a nice sniper in the VHLM.

18th Overall – Michael Roy

Position: G

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 185 LBS

Birthplace: Quebec City, Canada

Practice Hours: 80

Michael Roy fell into Megster’s lap at 18 overall in the 4th round.  The Storm, just like almost every other team in the VHLM this season were in need of a goalie.  Somehow the 4th best goalie in the league made it to the 4th round.  Roy plays much like a Tim Thomas, big in his net and very flexible.  Size and agility are Roy’s 2 biggest strengths with both attributes getting a 70 rating.  Roy has also been seen lately working on his rebound control and the attribute has received a 45 rating.  With team Canada’s goalies being so stacked Roy did not see any playing time in the World Junior Championship and one might speculate this is why he slid so far in the draft.  Overall Roy is expected to be a solid starting goalie for the Storm.

23rd Overall – Jabby McFullO’Schmidt

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 240 lbs

Birthplace: Nova Scotia, Canada

Practice Hours: 59

Jabby McFullO’Schmidt was drafted in the 5th round, 23rd overall.  Some might say Megster took the enforcer a little high, but every team needs someone to protect it.  Jabby has put the majority of his practice hours into fighting with a 70 rating.  You can often catch him practice fighting with one of his team mates after everyone has skated off the ice.  Recently though, Jabby has started putting some practice hours into checking and defense with a 50 and 59 rating respectively.  With team Canada at the World Junior Championships Jabby had 1 goal and 1 assists for 2 points as well as a +1.  He also managed 18 hits and 11 shot blocks.  It was a very solid tournament for Jabby.  Overall expect Jabby to slot in on the 2nd pairing at the beginning of the season and maybe move up to play with Boner if he continues to improve by the end of it.

28th Overall – Ben Green

Position: Left Wing

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 190 lbs

Birthplace: Raleigh, NC USA

Practice Hours: 52

Ben Green was drafted in the 6th round at 28th overall.  Green had the most practice hours by far of anyone drafted in the 6th round.  However, he has not practiced in a few days and many are beginning to wonder when, and if he will practice again.  Regardless of whether or not he does practice again, Green has already started to become an all around offensive player.  His most attractive attribute is scoring, with a strong 65 rating.  His passing and skating are also very impressive with a 50 and 52 rating respectively.  Green also has put some practice time into his puck handling and has seen that rating rise to a 45.  Ben Green had a very poor World Junior Championships with team USA.  He scored 0 points and was a -4 with 1 hit and no shot blocks.  He only played 45 minutes but with a stat line like that it’s not very surprising why.  Overall Green is still likely to play the top line left wing spot as no one on the roster could fill that position well besides him.

33rd Overall – Franky Kalashnikova

Height: 6’8”

Weight: 250 LBS

Birthplace: Yakutsk, Siberia, Russia

Practice Hours: 31

Franky Kalashnikova was drafted in the 7th round at 33rd overall.  It looks like Oslo is going to be fighting a lot, because Franky has put all of his practice hours into fighting.  Being one huge man, it’s not surprising that Franky isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.  What is surprising is the fact that, that is all that he can do.  Franky had a surprisingly strong World Junior Championships, but not for the reasons you may think.  Franky had 0 goals and 3 assists for 3 points and was a +4.  He also had 14 hits and 9 blocked shots.  Overall, Franky is expected to slot in on the 3rd pairing and clean up some scrums when needed.  Think of him as a John Erskine type of player.

38th Overall – Ko Kane

Height: 6’7.2”

Weight: 255 LBS

Birthplace: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Practice Hour: 105

In the 8th round with 38th overall pick, Megster made a shocking choice.  Clearly it has already back fired as Ko Kane has already asked to be released and was subsequently released by the club.  Megster had this to say on the release of Ko Kane:

“It happens, you can’t always get a 105 TPE superstar in the 8th round so I had to try, right?  I was going to pass from that point on anyways.”

14 hours ago, Megster said:

Oslo Storm Draft Review

The Oslo Storm entered into the draft last night without a first round pick, a result of the team selling the farm to go all in last season only to lose in the semi-finals.  After the retirement of VHLM Forever, the aging out of Our Lady of Perpetual Motion, and the inevitable forced call ups of Jack Shephard and Aackckqz Ky it seemed that the Oslo Storm would be in for a long term rebuild.  After struggling for several hours to acquire more picks in the draft to speed up the rebuild and having every trade fall through general manager Megster decided to stay put and do her best at drafting.  How did she do?  In her own words:

“It didn’t quite go how I wanted it to.  I missed out on a lot of good players, but I got a lot of good ones at the same time.  I guess in the end what I wanted was to get more lower round draft picks to foster some of these first generation talents, but it just didn’t work out because I didn’t have much bargaining power.  I am happy but disappointed, I wanted more players on my roster, but I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles.  We got a lot of great guys though, some very veteran members and some new ones as well.  I just hope we have an active locker room this season, I will be very happy.”

So let’s take a look at the draft picks from this draft and see who ended up getting selected to represent the Oslo Storm.

8th Overall – Boner

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 200 lbs

Birthplace: Brussels, Belgium

Practice Hours: 144

Boner is going to be a good, strong, stay at home, hit ‘em hard defenseman.  His top attribute is his checking with an 81 rating.  He also has great defense and strength with a 70 and 75 rating in each respectively.  Boner is also an expert skater which is important for a defenseman even at the VHLM level.  Boner had 0 goals and 6 assists in 8 games at the World Junior Championships.  He managed a +5 and had an astounding 34 hits, as well as 13 blocked shots leading the gold medal winning team Europe in both categories.  Boner is expected to be one of the best defensemen in the VHLM this season, and you better keep your head up when he is on the ice.

13th Overall – Sadio Salah

Position: Right Wing

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 175 lbs

Birthplace: USA

Practice Hours: 66

Sadio Salah was selected in the 3rd round.  His player agent is well known for producing some high quality players dating all the way back to S17.  Salah looks like he is going to be your stereotypical true blue sniper.  His skating and scoring both have ratings of 70 points and his puck handling has a rating of 46.  All the essentials you need to become a great goal scorer in the league.  Salah had 1 goal and 1 assist for 2 points in the World Junior Championships with the bronze medal winning USA.  His hits and shot blocks are also nothing to write home about but Salah did play only 74 minutes in the whole tournament.  With 3rd line minutes and no special teams time it’s not surprising that Salah lacked production.  Overall Salah is expected to form into a nice sniper in the VHLM.

18th Overall – Michael Roy

Position: G

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 185 LBS

Birthplace: Quebec City, Canada

Practice Hours: 80

Michael Roy fell into Megster’s lap at 18 overall in the 4th round.  The Storm, just like almost every other team in the VHLM this season were in need of a goalie.  Somehow the 4th best goalie in the league made it to the 4th round.  Roy plays much like a Tim Thomas, big in his net and very flexible.  Size and agility are Roy’s 2 biggest strengths with both attributes getting a 70 rating.  Roy has also been seen lately working on his rebound control and the attribute has received a 45 rating.  With team Canada’s goalies being so stacked Roy did not see any playing time in the World Junior Championship and one might speculate this is why he slid so far in the draft.  Overall Roy is expected to be a solid starting goalie for the Storm.

23rd Overall – Jabby McFullO’Schmidt

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 240 lbs

Birthplace: Nova Scotia, Canada

Practice Hours: 59

Jabby McFullO’Schmidt was drafted in the 5th round, 23rd overall.  Some might say Megster took the enforcer a little high, but every team needs someone to protect it.  Jabby has put the majority of his practice hours into fighting with a 70 rating.  You can often catch him practice fighting with one of his team mates after everyone has skated off the ice.  Recently though, Jabby has started putting some practice hours into checking and defense with a 50 and 59 rating respectively.  With team Canada at the World Junior Championships Jabby had 1 goal and 1 assists for 2 points as well as a +1.  He also managed 18 hits and 11 shot blocks.  It was a very solid tournament for Jabby.  Overall expect Jabby to slot in on the 2nd pairing at the beginning of the season and maybe move up to play with Boner if he continues to improve by the end of it.

28th Overall – Ben Green

Position: Left Wing

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 190 lbs

Birthplace: Raleigh, NC USA

Practice Hours: 52

Ben Green was drafted in the 6th round at 28th overall.  Green had the most practice hours by far of anyone drafted in the 6th round.  However, he has not practiced in a few days and many are beginning to wonder when, and if he will practice again.  Regardless of whether or not he does practice again, Green has already started to become an all around offensive player.  His most attractive attribute is scoring, with a strong 65 rating.  His passing and skating are also very impressive with a 50 and 52 rating respectively.  Green also has put some practice time into his puck handling and has seen that rating rise to a 45.  Ben Green had a very poor World Junior Championships with team USA.  He scored 0 points and was a -4 with 1 hit and no shot blocks.  He only played 45 minutes but with a stat line like that it’s not very surprising why.  Overall Green is still likely to play the top line left wing spot as no one on the roster could fill that position well besides him.

33rd Overall – Franky Kalashnikova

Height: 6’8”

Weight: 250 LBS

Birthplace: Yakutsk, Siberia, Russia

Practice Hours: 31

Franky Kalashnikova was drafted in the 7th round at 33rd overall.  It looks like Oslo is going to be fighting a lot, because Franky has put all of his practice hours into fighting.  Being one huge man, it’s not surprising that Franky isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.  What is surprising is the fact that, that is all that he can do.  Franky had a surprisingly strong World Junior Championships, but not for the reasons you may think.  Franky had 0 goals and 3 assists for 3 points and was a +4.  He also had 14 hits and 9 blocked shots.  Overall, Franky is expected to slot in on the 3rd pairing and clean up some scrums when needed.  Think of him as a John Erskine type of player.

38th Overall – Ko Kane

Height: 6’7.2”

Weight: 255 LBS

Birthplace: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Practice Hour: 105

In the 8th round with 38th overall pick, Megster made a shocking choice.  Clearly it has already back fired as Ko Kane has already asked to be released and was subsequently released by the club.  Megster had this to say on the release of Ko Kane:

“It happens, you can’t always get a 105 TPE superstar in the 8th round so I had to try, right?  I was going to pass from that point on anyways.”

Made me want to do one now.....maybe next week I'll do one....

Edited by Beaviss

1 hour ago, Higgins said:

Oslos draft started with a Boner and ended with a release. Throw back to the screaming seamen days.

What city were they from again I always forget

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: Oslo Draft Review