Season finished [1/2]

jRuutu

finally-scanner.jpg

Regular season is now over! Finally some might say, has been a tough and exhausting year especially over in the North-American division. Those who followed the standings closely noticed how tight everything was during the year, even now when 72 games have been played,  the standings look close. Four teams collected 88 or more points. Hell, even the last team in the division collected 65 points - that 65 is by the way 17 points more than the third best team collected over in European side.

Quebec finished first in North-America with 106 points, Legion 2nd with 99, Wranglers 3rd with 98. Those three will play in the playoffs. Seattle Bears had 88 points and the last team in the division, New York with 65. Unfortunately for them, their season in coming to it´s end. Tough way to end the year when you think about the fact that if they would be over in European division, they would be in the playoffs. Just imagine the feeling in Seattle for example right now, 88 points and you missed the playoffs, but over in Europe, Express makes it with 48 points, 40 point difference!

Even as a user who is playing for Quebec and for a team that is in the playoffs, seeing that takes some of the excitement out of playoffs, the best teams are not there. I´m sure this is not the first time something like this has happened, but when we are talking about a 40 point difference, that is nasty. Like I mentioned, even the last team in North-America collected 17 more than Express, that is even more insane and just shows where we are at as a league right now, there is just too many teams in the league right now. There is no going around it, look at the lines teams are using for example, some teams have no depth at all and use just one line.

What we had over in North-America this year is what the league should be all about, tight division where everybody can beat everybody, when season comes to it´s end, the final standings are fairly close and we even had a battle for playoff spot, how often that happens?

Over in the European division, 3 teams did not even collect 50 points. That is terrible. Those three teams have in total of 17 players, 4 of those are goalies, so 13 players to use to build lines with. Not even going to look how many of them are inactive, but I guess quite few. Then add on top of that the teams who did make playoffs and have a lot of space in their roster, this league needs to kick few teams out or make the regular season go by a lot faster. Something needs to change.

I want to see tight divisions, I want the regular season to actually mean something, even after the 2nd player stuff - this is the result? We should have seen something already in the more tighter division and wider rosters area, right? Or have I missed something, why we need to keep some of these teams here if there simply is not enough players to go around?

• Commissioner

Honestly I believe crossover for next season is the most logical first step. Anywhere else we go from there may help but bringing back crossover will mean proper competitive playoffs. Like you said, there’s no reason the Bears should be out while the Express are in with 40 points less. It makes the regular season less interesting and it makes the playoffs less interesting since everyone knows the Express will get destroyed.

If there were crossover his season the Meute and Reign would still have first round byes, the Titans would face the Bears and the Legion would face the Wranglers. Far better representation of the league’s Best without a doubt.

Anyway, big changes are coming. Playoff format for sure but potentially conference and / or number of team changes as well.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

Honestly I believe crossover for next season is the most logical first step. Anywhere else we go from there may help but bringing back crossover will mean proper competitive playoffs. Like you said, there’s no reason the Bears should be out while the Express are in with 40 points less. It makes the regular season less interesting and it makes the playoffs less interesting since everyone knows the Express will get destroyed.

If there were crossover his season the Meute and Reign would still have first round byes, the Titans would face the Bears and the Legion would face the Wranglers. Far better representation of the league’s Best without a doubt.

Anyway, big changes are coming. Playoff format for sure but potentially conference and / or number of team changes as well.

Looking forward to those, especially the regular season related changes. Not going to lie, it´s not so much fun to login these days to see results when you go against some of these teams. Some are rebuilding sure, but feels like the number of teams who are rebuilding has also gone up and when the rosters of teams who are not technically rebuilding look quite shallow on top of that, not so exciting regular season is the result.

• 1 month later...

REVIEW:

As you already know, we cut two teams and made one big conference and the start of the season is fun so far. Now we don't need searching for an excuse if your team is out even if the point numbers were good. That's especially goes to Seattle who already had the same shit luck in S49. 

And even if EU conference was weak in overall, we got a champ from Europe though :P 

@jRuutu