Claimed: Recruitment Future [1/2]

Kendrick

jobactive-1-660x400.jpg

I will stop everyone in their tracks before reading this and announce a disclaimer. Do not read this if you feel that it might easily offend you in regards to your stances on recruitment and what should be done. This entire passage is upfront, honest and the stark truth about the recruitment history in the Victory Hockey League. None of this is to make anyone feel bad about what they have or haven't done here in regards to recruitment, but in fact is a way of pointing out the problems we have in attracting new members and actually putting some elbow grease into this area.

Have you ever said the following:

This board needs to recruit better or else it will die?

If you have then you are just like 99% of the membership group here. However, if you've also said the following:

I don't have the time or energy to go out and recruit as it's a lot of work

Then guess what my friend, you are part of the problem. I'm not blaming anyone are simply stating that you should be removed from the village with a beheading for the whole town to witness. What I'm saying is that by stating this board needs to recruit better you are stating the obvious and it applies to any board really. However, in the same breath by stating that you don't have the time to do so, you are basically telling the people who do recruit that they are being taken advantage of. Hear me out no this because right now it looks bad on you but I'll tell you my thinking. If I have recruited more than two dozen members to this board (which I think it goes into the 40's in reality) then I have done a pretty solid job. Now, I don't have any more time to do this than you do. In fact while I'm recruiting you might be filling that time by playing candy crush or killing hookers in grand Theft Auto. There's nothing wrong with doing any of those three things; in fact I encourage you to let loose on those hookers until none of them want to jump into your Bravado Banshee (OP car btw). The thing is while you claim to take pride in this league, in reality you only take pride in what benefits you and only you. Some may claim I am a selfish member as I've stated in the past that I take myself out of position to be drafted by some teams or that I signed with a bunch of free agents to win a cup. However, those two things right there are not as big of a liability as someone claiming this league is poor at recruitment but then doing shit all to improve it.

Did you know that half of my recruits came from establishing myself on forums for maybe 3 days and then linking the VHL in their "Gaming" or "Off-Topic" section? That's right, when I say I established myself I joined, joined in on some of the discussion and then let them know about the Victory Hockey League. I actually just have a bookmark folder called "Recruitment Links" and its for forum I've gone to and accepted my link without thinking it is spam. Now, it's not a fail proof system as I did have my link removed once or twice from some boards and got cussed out on one (Dave from that sports forum was an ass). However, it has worked in fact one of the current General Managers in this league @DollarAndADream was from one of those forums I linked to. It took no more than 5 minutes a day to recruit on all these boards as well, which is the beauty of it because those hookers still need you to roll up in that Banshee.

Have you ever asked this question before:

I want to recruit but have no clue where to start and thus I won't do it

Well see that's not a poor question and technically you are part of the solution and not the problem. Wanting to help but having no avenue to do so is not your fault and in fact I praise you for wanting to help but not being able to get the ball moving on it. But after stating this don't go roll up in your Banshee just yet, stay with me here. There are a ton of places to look but given our board hasn't had the resources listed for those places, its hard to blame the casual member who wants to help. Thus I have some suggestions for you that will be beneficial to you and the board. The following are a list of places to start:

Sites:

NHL Forums (Respected Team Forums)

NHL related Discord Channels

NHL Reddit Boards

Gaming Forums

STHS Forums

MetroHo

HockeyNewsForum

HFBoards

Twitter

Facebook Groups, Pages & Discussion Forums

EASHL Forums/Pages

Last thing I want to bring up is recruitment incentives and what exactly should be said and shouldn't in this area. Recruitment is the lifeblood of a league and without it you don't grow. It is said that things that don't grow get left behind and that isn't something we want this league to do. We want to continue to add new members and make our draft classes loaded with talent and discussion like the good old days. So when some suggests the recruitment incentives to be loaded with TPE, don't sit there and snarl because you feel it is too much TPE. At one point I was recruiting tons of people to this site and we gaining a butt load of TPE from it. A couple people hated that and in turn the recruitment TPE incentives dropped down to pretty much nothing. Guess what else dropped down? Recruitment numbers. If you honestly believe that rebranding has more of an influence on this board than recruitment does, you are brainwashed into thinking your creative side outweighs the gritty job of the VHL.

With all this I urge you to either be part of the solution or be quiet.

Edited by Kendrick

• Commissioner

Honestly I think lowering recruitment incentives down to basically nothing was one of the worst “band-aid” fixed the league has ever had and I hope to get that fixed up. As you said, it may have crippled a few TPE whores down to normal levels but it also crippled recruitment for the league. People won’t bother doing something unless there’s something in it for them (like dead hookers as you pointed out) so why shouldn’t we incentivize our the ass? What’s the worst that happens, we have some powerhouse players? Maybe some of Scotty’s rigging scoring records might actually be beaten.

I messaged a facebook page I'm a member of, to see if I could post something there. Haven't heard back. Not just immediately posting there because I'm actually a regular member of that page and would prefer not to be kicked, but trying to see if they can work with me a little. I'll let you guys know if/when I hear anything

Review

It is a sad reality that you used to recruit so much but since the drop in incentive means a drop in recruiting which is bad because we do need some new blood in the forum. I hope we do something to bring in new members and who knows maybe the PT from another league will work and bring in a ton of members. Hopefully we also give more incentive so you can get back to being a beast and recruiting.