Axelsson hangs up the skates

solas

Game 5 of the European Conference Finals marked the end of a career.  Helsinki Titans forward Theo Axelsson officially played in the last game of his career, a 5-3 loss to the seemingly unstoppable Riga Reign - who included among their ranks S50 draft pick and former VHLM teammate Essian Ravenwing.  Axelsson finished with what was likely the best season of his career, with a career-best 113 points and 409 hits - which will likely earn him his third career Boulet trophy.  If he does win it, he’ll become the ninth player to achieve this feat (and every one of the previous 8 made the Hall of Fame).  His 2,729 hits weren’t quite enough to break Zach Parechkin’s record, but it’s still good enough to place him in very good company in 2nd place - ahead of David Smalling, Miles Larsson, and Lord Karnage.

It wasn’t just his two-way play and physicality that Axelsson was known for.  He was also a noted goalscorer (his 331 goals place him among the top 50 of all time), especially in the clutch.  Not only did he score the cup-winning goal for the Helsinki Titans two seasons in a row, but he also finished his career with an impressive 80 game-winning goals, which is enough to place him third all-time - behind only the legendary Scotty Campbell and the previously mentioned Zach Parechkin, who is arguably the best two-way forward of all time.  

“Sure, it’s nice to have achieved that much in one career,” says the now 29-year-old Axelsson.  “But at this point I just want to relax, maybe take my mind off of hockey.  I’ve worked so hard at it for the last ten seasons or so that I just want to focus on something else right now.  I’m definitely proud of what I’ve achieved, though.”

(for Morozov)

Edited by solas

I had to do a double take when I first saw this title, and run to the Helsinki roster page. The hell man you created Theo in Season 50, where the hell has the time gone? It feels like he was a new era star and then suddenly it's all over. TIME IS AWFUL! Good career though sir, pretty much became the Boulet king late, best of luck on the next guy!