Skater's Knee

Phil

Villeneuve has been sidelined with an injury that is relatively new and under-classified.

There are 2 well-known and common conditions called Runner's Knee and Jumper's Knee.

Runner's Knee, or Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, can occur because of joint surface degeneration (due to repetitious movement patterns) or subchondral bone stress reactions. Roughly (and believe me, this is an underestimate) 30% of the population experience this at some point in their lives.

Jumper's Knee is a microfailure of the bone-tendon junction at one of the 3 extensor entheses, caused by tensile overload at these points. 

Logically, they are both named as such because of the Mechanisms of injury: running and jumping.

Skater's Knee, research is now showing, is a new development that can be lumped into these injuries.

It has to do with a longer Q-angle than average. 

The Q-angle is the quadriceps angle. It is the angle by which the line-of-action of the rectus femoris changes at the patella. 

By skating with a valgus knee (knees inward), it will increase the q-angle which pulls the kneecap laterally, causing shearing forces that lead to problems such as wearing down cartilage, tearing the minicus and even ACL injuries. 

This is probably a bunch of nonsense to you (the average reader) but the take-home point of this is that skater's should watch their hip-knee alignment and focus on the movement quality to avoid injury! 

PS< comment on this article if you read it and I will write a 590 about you all! :)

Yeah I had runner's knee after my third marathon of five last year. Found out the cure is to use one of those foam rollers up and down our leg. Pain went away in a few days.

Yea, also just have to balance the training within the envelop of load acceptance.

Don't know if you are familiar with the 3 F's of running (how far, how frequently, and how fast) but the medical research suggests that you are more likely to get runner's knee if you are increasing more than one "F" at a time or increasing over 10% in total distance when training. 

Doing hip extension exercises also seem to help out with the movement pattern and reduce occurrences of injury

Thanks to all who've replied thus far!

Edited by ssdd911