Effect of the new update scale

Hybrid1486

So I had my first run-in with the new update scale today, and let me first say it was a long time coming. The old scale was great for the days when 1,000 TPE was a pipe dream, but with TPE easier to come across it needed to be whittled down a bit.

That said, I'm curious as to how it has affected the league up to this point. I assume the goal of the new scale was to get rid of the ubermen and make 1,000 TPE more of a goal than a point where banking becomes a necessity. On the other hand, I could see an even more pronounced effect where the best players are able to get even farther ahead of the middling guys who crap out after 300 TPE. Whereas with the old scale those guys might have been able to get a few attributes into the 80's or maybe even 90's, now a player of that caliber likely has mostly 70's and a couple 80's to work with.

That said, I'm curious as to whether or not anybody has any thoughts on the subject.

• Commissioner

I’ve got 1 at 90, 2 at 80 and I think another at 70 with 40 banked and I’m still under 300. I would say things feel about where they realistically should. It’s challengig but only at the really high end (90+) where the effect of each attribute point is less pronounced anyway.

1 hour ago, Hybrid1486 said:

On the other hand, I could see an even more pronounced effect where the best players are able to get even farther ahead of the middling guys who crap out after 300 TPE. Whereas with the old scale those guys might have been able to get a few attributes into the 80's or maybe even 90's, now a player of that caliber likely has mostly 70's and a couple 80's to work with.

I disagree with this, but I think maybe that's in part because of my general philosophy of building balanced players.

Hypothetically, let's say we have a 300 TPE vs 900 TPE player. Lets say I'm building a RW

Old scale:

300 TPE

CK = Checking: 40
SK = Skating: 85
ST = Strength: 70
PH = Puck Handling: 80
PA = Passing: 75
SC = Scoring: 85

DF = Defense: 80

900 TPE (180 Banked)

CK = Checking: 90
SK = Skating: 99
ST = Strength: 99
PH = Puck Handling: 99
PA = Passing: 90
SC = Scoring: 99

DF = Defense: 99

New Scale

300 TPE

CK = Checking: 40, no change
SK = Skating: 80, down from 85
ST = Strength: 70, no change
PH = Puck Handling: 80, no change
PA = Passing: 75, no change
SC = Scoring: 85, no change

DF = Defense: 75, down from 80

Total decrease in attribute points: 10

900 TPE (150 banked, down from 180)

CK = Checking: 90, no change
SK = Skating: 90, down from 99
ST = Strength: 90, down from 99
PH = Puck Handling: 90, down from 99
PA = Passing: 85, down from 90
SC = Scoring: 95, down from 99

DF = Defense: 90, down from 99

Total decrease in attribute points: 45 (with 30 fewer banked TPE)

Granted, I could bank fewer TPE to get the attributes higher, but at 900 TPE, I'm definitely going to be at a point where I want to be saving up for depreciation, which is also going to hit that player harder, because it's more difficult (in relation to the old update scale, as well) to recover the lost attributes going back from 87 to 90 than it is from 77 to 80.

Don't get me wrong, I think players with these kind of attributes (particularly looking at the old scale 900 TPE player I built above) should be difficult to achieve and should be reserved for the best. Especially with the amount of TPE being earned going up, the harsher scale is good. But I don't think that this scale does what you suggest in widening the gap between the best and the average players.

Now, a scale looking something more like this might do the trick (if that were to be what we wanted to see)

40 -> 60 --- 1 TPE per point

60 -> 70 --- 2 TPE per point

70 -> 80 --- 3 TPE per point

80 -> 90 --- 5 TPE per point

90 -> 99 --- 8 TPE per point

Total TPE to get an attribute from 40 to 99: 192

(Note: with the original scale, it took 112 TPE to go from 40 to 99; with the current scale, it takes 185)

I don't really think we need to tinker with the update scale, though. I think it's fine as is. I just personally thought that, when we changed it, we should've changed it to something more like this.

2 minutes ago, street said:

I don't really think we need to tinker with the update scale, though. I think it's fine as is. I just personally thought that, when we changed it, we should've changed it to something more like this.

This wasn't a call to tinker with the update scale, just an observation. I like it the way it is.

Just now, Hybrid1486 said:

This wasn't a call to tinker with the update scale, just an observation. I like it the way it is.

I know, I just thought my post might come across as me suggesting we should mess with it.

42 minutes ago, street said:

I suggested a similar scale a year or two ago, with the argument that starting scaling at 60 would result in more variance in VHLM builds. I think the current scale still does well to lessen the '99 across the board' players though so it's good.

• Commissioner
52 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

I suggested a similar scale a year or two ago, with the argument that starting scaling at 60 would result in more variance in VHLM builds. I think the current scale still does well to lessen the '99 across the board' players though so it's good.

I personally don't like a scale under 70 for the simple reason of 70 is achievable with the starting TPE. Don't want to throw new guys into the deep end too much by having to teach them about the update scale and stuff literally from the moment of their creation.

58 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I personally don't like a scale under 70 for the simple reason of 70 is achievable with the starting TPE. Don't want to throw new guys into the deep end too much by having to teach them about the update scale and stuff literally from the moment of their creation.

That's a good point. Other leagues do fine with it but it definitely helps for someone who's new to the concept to just be able to pump all their starting points into one attribute to start off with.