(61 HOF CLASS) - John Locke - Player

Cornflakers

John Locke

Hall of Fame Inductee: Season 61

Position:                                       LW

Height:                                          6'1"

Weight:                                         190 lb.

Birthplace:                                   California, USA Kd-XkFc4LHbR9GxlRH0njyPFvNMpcX7G2cR_bEtPlppAJWlsqFNhBXx5tzaAy1wY1WRvrk_ZAkvUC_e6sxGI01_91d4khdo4FV8DftQAU_W5uOAzcXjSEK1og46EeoqdwT2BhOfU

Season 53 VHL Entry Draft:      Rd 1 Pick #3 - Stockholm Vikings

User:                                              @Will

He can skate and score, like many of his fellow prospects. Where he [separates] himself is with his hands. Showing good progress, like all prospects needs to round out his game more.” S53 Draft Article.

John Locke, one of the most surprising players to come out of the management of Will. John had an amazing career in the VHL. It was in the VHLM where he shocked the world. He cleaned up at the award ceremony in S53 in the VHLM, and was projected to be the top of the draft. Falling to 3rd, he proved to be a steal and launched his career with a Cup in only his 3rd year, playing for the Meute. John was stellar throughout the Regular Season, but he shone bright in the Playoffs. 3 back to back Cups, 4 in total, is no small feat, and thus sits a legend among men.

Locke was one half of the most dominant pairs to play in the VHL of the past 10 seasons and now is one half of a dominant pair entering the VHL Hall of Fame as first ballot inductees.” S61 HOF induction article.

Below is an insight into one of the league's most decorated, respected, and cherished Left Wingers.

Career average season points: 98.9

VHL Career length: 7 seasons

Career awards

S53 Vladimir Boomchenko Trophy (VHLM Assists Leader)

S53 Alexander Chershenko Trophy (VHLM Goals Leader)

S53 Ethan Osborne Trophy (VHLM Points Leader)

S53 Mitch Higgins Trophy (VHLM Regular Season MVP)

S53 Founder’s Cup (VHLM Champs)

S54 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (VHL Top Rookie)

S56 Continental Cup (VHL Champs)

S57 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S57 Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP)

S57 Continental Cup (VHL Champs)

S58 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S58 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Goals)

S58 Continental Cup (VHL Champs)

S60 Continental Cup (VHL Champs)

Career statistics

mzYhx0y1alEdM_UtL6T75USKS-LUJohoITFXnP-j4sZZmDAz_qDJ71Ea2D-MwfJ8N7ajBeZh2t4ozmrpHkmmbjUCd6aX-7aBvtvM-3Gs7qq6rhEfxQ8qhSMU5mSUm1uuvlgtdHDh

It is imperative to look at this players Minor League career. John Locke was a powerhouse for the Lynx, and took the team to the Championship. This cemented things for Locke, as he was a proven born winner before he stepped foot into the VHL. He was drafted high, and totaled almost 1,000 shots in only 72 games. Not only that, but he managed a 2.4/PPG, 9.1%/SH%, low pins, and a clutch 13 GWG. In only 8 playoff games, Locke amassed 13 points and 90 shots. Locke solidified himself as a lethal option along the wing.

2jsgy6lT5sDahD7jCkA1RxR5WNv4nLW2YpvN-RugadavYiUbLmsJC5oWFbrNYzt3e9J8gM4KeJfE6oHUy1i8E1rO3IY0Kt5mo9zNhMy4HlKEMZLLs4htHTXsX9vhtDte9iOmxMxf

Although drafted by the Stockholm Vikings, Frank Chadwick packaged a future 1st and a defender to get two left wingers in John Locke and SkateFast McChunky. This would prove to be a huge factor in Locke’s career. In his first season in the VHL, Locke was electric. He managed well over a PPG clocking in at 1.21/PPG, which for a Rookie, is almost unheard of. He had over 500 shots on goal, all while maintaining a sportsmanship demeanor which only netted 6 PIMs throughout the campaign. He was instrumental to the Meute’s playoff success, scoring 2 GWGs as a Rookie. And although their performance in the Playoffs was astounding, it wasn’t enough to muster the championship, however John saw his efforts rewarded with the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy. Not a bad Rookie season at all, and thus starting the path to the Hall of Fame.

VlUTqtuYXiiIrQGS0gyE9_vQIvI-v0HZgHOpBeFCU5Abkv5biEBKMkkFPIbPNn0zANqaemx_iV26PY14Wg6zZZGaLuoXlWGdhlcfJkSZ22P_IH35NLYGdiWuqiuAyg4ICba8wknI

S55, John’s Sophomore Season, he was defensively sound, but things were not clicking for the budding forward. Yes, he still managed over a PPG, but due to his excellence in the Minors, and his Rookie season, this was considered by many as the classic Sophomore Slump. The Meute had a strong team, and John was struggling to find his scoring touch during the year. The Meute made the playoffs and John became his old self. Perhaps he was saving fuel in the tank for the long grueling playoff road ahead. John netted 3 GWG in the playoffs, but once again came up short. He worked hard that off-season. He had to.

HV31rMD2-QHpiLJ7-EUmNc8AmlhNBCuyqmB4hTdlj23gvWv9J1c36G2uLW_8CMnD46BxV57r9Ugx3aT0dteJ-Uq6noFXSP1an3csRSAKjHc1YfZ5HukWQXJ7VJfBdF3Q7fYZIRyO

John came back to training camp with a chip on his shoulder. He was determined. This was going to be his year. John had an amazing campaign during the regular season. He far surpassed his rookie numbers, and silenced all the doubters. With a more sound defensive performance, and notable blocked shots, this electric winger also found the net more often than not, averaging a rounded 1.5 PPG. John persevered through the season and led his team to the Championship finals. He was a scoring force finding the net 11 times in 13 games, scoring 2 game winners. The Meute were champions, and so was Locke. In just his 3rd year, he was destined for greatness.

QGdOA2xoUUweQAJSjXgHdjAheycQUzl3lunwwnf9d-N1iMIZ8RCaF2pgu322SA7x6GfrwfZM8vhxmD8LI_c8E2LWoDFfpPUkOQ-7LpY_zRU6gK_yJcKR3fRnew7zs8c4HK87JJz0

After winning the cup as league champions, Locke was traded to the Riga Reign through the HC Davos Dynamo. John Locke, coming off a stellar performance, as VHL Champions, put up a mind blowing 70 goals in 72 games. With a +/- of 89, he was also making sure to play the 200ft game and didn’t slack in any aspect of his game. He had 21 game winners during the regular season, and this translated into a banner year for him rewards wise, where he brought home some hardware in the Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals). His fans knew the playoffs were where he’d shine, and he put up 13G and 15A in only 11 games. This would earn him the honours of the Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP) as well as the beginning of the Riga Dynasty as The Reign brought home the Championship.

6ztgM8834th3vVC4hq7fTzB7VZghjxiwClgzSkfkOBo9J03ddxC2Cj5fp-yQl5jGzV_nTRW1rrv6NI4bb3VpiswK8MIF-vBfcZS6o66pEEPtpM9ADPHNSzjsl86MqsFCDbuJIYwf

Settling in, very nicely, in Riga, John Locke wasn’t as active in the off-season. There was a ton of hype around this dynamic winger in his prime. Coming off a 70 goal campaign, the Reign were worried if he could repeat, or beat, his previous numbers. Unfortunately, production saw a bit of a dip, but it was still an electric season for the winger as her collected 121 points, and 61 goals, which awarded him the Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Outstanding) as well as the Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Goals). He had 100 hits, and 16 game winners during the regular season, which goes to show that John didn’t shy away from the more physical aspects of the game, and that he could be relied on, as previously proven, as not only a top player, but perhaps, dare say, a Franchise Cornerstone. The playoffs were nothing new, Locke was on fire with 10 goals in 11 games and, although taking some bad penalties, the Reign, continued their reign, as back to back cup champions.

c6_9WJNuDKYOQbzgB10HGZw5pqZR9rwsJMZ3bu7mlpBwody2dg5QK_-QqK5UN8uCiQul8ezx-6pB2nRn6_m2vjIXT033FYbrscFpCrwvTt-Lbu12fLvyrIqynnFiFgqs2gAWZ59F

After getting involved in some controversial affairs over the off-season, Locke came back to Riga, a bit off. With the team trying to integrate new talent, Locke saw his production drop significantly. He was still able to maintain over 1 PPG, but had the Locke of old come and gone? At this point in Locke’s career, he has proven and won what every player dreams of achieving. But when we look at what Locke is capable of, was capable of, this season stands out. The Reign made the playoffs, of course, they were a perennial contender, but a -2 effort and a slipping offensive production saw Locke’s family shout out of the buffet before they could enjoy the salad bar. Whether it was the team, the coach, or the GM, or a mix of it all, there had to be a change.

ywgHI_EYLi1FWRPabBtGGhs6amqAFQ2dc1WxkvGBPraxnVO3855MwlWRHp4HgSyFVVHYhY620Wsb6G4-SHiW6KUCzYyU0v7fTHIlPTei-BNj1z6HXnHO49PvK0xgazwfaw_7bH1h

Let go from the Reign, Locke was signed by the Helsinki Titans. He returned to his form of late, and put up an impressive 51 goals, 98 points. He was a leader at this point. And quite frankly, he didn’t have all that much pressure on him. He was able to play his game, and contribute to a well crafted team. He was the secret ingredient to the Titan’s playoff success, and was awarded his third Cup Championship.

Career Overall Statistics

HV_Gjbe3OZYP2rKyrace52BUmyhIE3QM0L1Dd4bnYwDs9rJ--DAvV-wq45Do4H_0nohEaBGmS3QcxBLoIe31-aE5L1ECpFOKPOnVHPBOAvXTs-e5fJPcMWESvftGfSMlfjrM7JvN

Career Conclusion

John Locke came out of the Will Hockey School of California USA, he had a tremendous career in the VHLM and was an immediate impact in the VHL. He struggled a bit after having the fame and fortune of the league's top Rookie. He worked hard, and stuck with his coaches, and got things back on track. He was instrumental to the Riga Reign’s dominance, and back to back championships, which not many can claim. After his success, Locke fell into a bit of a spell, which may have put him out of the HOF running. But it was his resurgence, his perseverance, and his impact on the Titans that told the league that he was a force, a character, and a legend. Locke was a playoff showman, an elite offensive talent, and a perfect example of a player who can score, back-check, skate, and hit.

He can skate and score…” and that he did.

---------------------

Word count - 1511

Claiming HOF Article +5 uncapped, plus +3 bonus.

(not sure how free week works, but will claim at some point).

Edited by Cornflakers
im a dumbass

9 minutes ago, Victor said:

Great write-up, thanks. Glad you focused quite a bit on his playoff performances as he was one of the greatest playoff performers ever. Most career playoff goals - a record which stood since S8!

I'm glad I did him justice, I had about 30 tabs opened up just searching through the forum of people posting about him.

Was a fun write up, but man am I creatively drained from it ...

Is that article even worth claiming for media spot points too? I saw someone mention it but im like ON TOP of the HOF tpe too???

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Cornflakers said:

Is that article even worth claiming for media spot points too? I saw someone mention it but im like ON TOP of the HOF tpe too???

I was under the impression that the 'free week' you get is basically the Media Spot. In fact I'm not sure why it's worded like that but I see it as:

Media Spot (advertised as free week for some reason) - 6 capped

Bonus TPE - 8 or 5 uncapped

@Beketov

5 minutes ago, Victor said:

I was under the impression that the 'free week' you get is basically the Media Spot. In fact I'm not sure why it's worded like that but I see it as:

@Beketov

nvm, i misunderstood @McWolf, i guess he wrote a different article, not related to hof, and is claiming that 2k over 4 weeks, I'll definitely do that, I like bulk tings #quickmaths my bad 

1 hour ago, Cornflakers said:

nvm, i misunderstood @McWolf, i guess he wrote a different article, not related to hof, and is claiming that 2k over 4 weeks, I'll definitely do that, I like bulk tings #quickmaths my bad 

You are right, I did that but it was just a regular media spot. Reason I talked about it in the HoF articles thread is because I was wondering if I would be able to claim my free week later for the HOF article since I'm still riding this 2k article for another 2 weeks.

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Victor said:

@Beketov

This is correct, or at least the way i meant in the OP of the HOF article thread. I just used Free Week vs.claiming at as a PT so that people could use the free week whenever they wanted.