Making Some PT's More Accessible

Tagger

VHFL

First off, I think the VHFL is a terrific concept for a point task and I'm happy that it continues to play a part in our league. However as it stands right now, it isn't a particularly accessible point task, especially for new members. The main problem with the point task is that there's no spreadsheet to confirm who is available and a valid selection which, given that the forums and the index/portal are usually in a state of transition when these are starting, it's unclear to any member who has yet to experience a VHL season who is and isn't available. Setting up a spreadsheet shouldn't be too much of a problem (Since calculations are made from the previous season, that spreadsheet could be transferred to a draftees page with retired players deleted and call-ups added appropriately), and simply having that list would allow a newer member to clearly see who is available for selection, therefore doesn't put them in a position where they're making incorrect picks leading them to potentially give up on the PT (we don't want to be putting members off of any PTs) and in extreme circumstances, the VHL. 

Also on a personal note, I much preferred the older system of picking players on a budget rather than the drafts we have today (I just feel the drafts take too long to the point where I'm not even researching my picks because I just want it to be done), but I can understand why people would think that's too similar to the Award Predictions point task. 

Trivia

Trivia's another point task that I think is a great idea, but I think some changes could be made to make it more accessible. The current PM system is a bit behind the times and I think the fact that you can't just do it right away is part of the reason why it doesn't see more entries. The idea for trivia I'd like to propose is changing the VHL Trivia to be more like THIS, or to save you a click:

6Y9PZvM.png

We could also grant Bushito or whoever is the Trivia lead the ability to embed HTML to allow people to submit their answers directly on the site. 

Thoughts?

• Admin

The trivia idea is actually brilliant and I can't believe I didn't think of it.

On a semi-related note, I know I set up trivia and a few people ran it after me before it fully merged with fantasy. Likewise VHFL was someone else's thing rather than the fantasy manager's. Perhaps they should all be split out to enable the guy in charge to get the most out of them? Plus moar jobs.

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, Tyler said:

Yeah I'd probably do trvia if it was multiple choice lol

Just curious what different that would make? You’d still have to look up the answers (which takes about a minute) unless you’d just want to guess your way through.

• Senior Admin

I prefer the older way of VHFL as well. 

It'd be cool if both things could be portal-ized at some point, especially trivia since someone whould obviously still have to enter the questions so no jobs lost. Though in VHFL's case, if we stuck with the drafting format, rosters would have to manually entered by one person and portal would just be used for 'tracking' because it's definitely not worth it to build something for drafting VHFL. 

7 hours ago, Beketov said:

Just curious what different that would make? You’d still have to look up the answers (which takes about a minute) unless you’d just want to guess your way through.

If I had multiple choice I'd probably be able to guess. I can remember which teams were good in certain eras once prompted with the choices.

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Tyler said:

If I had multiple choice I'd probably be able to guess. I can remember which teams were good in certain eras once prompted with the choices.

Honestly I haven’t spent more than 2 minutes on trivia in the last like 3 seasons and I haven’t gotten a question wrong. 90% of the answers can be found in the HoF section.

• 5 weeks later...

Bump. This is a good idea for Trivia @Will and @Beketov we should totally see if we can do this. 

Bek you asked what difference it would make, the big difference is just being reminded. Honestly the closed door format we use is like we are playing a game in middle school. PM the trivia runner a number every week, then they feed that into their system to give us one of a series of questions? As you said yourself, most of these answers are easy to look up/being shared in locker rooms, Mags and publicly anyways. So why not just streamline this to a thing that notifies you every week with a few questions. It'd be a lot easier for any member to just answer the questions (even multiple choice) as it comes to them than seek it out.