Toby Fitzgerald - Press Conference

1. You made a decision to join an expansion team for this season, did the opportunity to join a team in it's first season play any part in your decision or were there other factors at play?

2. With the moves that have taken place, it looks like the plan for you for the near future at least is sharing second line duties with Shawn Glade, how does it feel playing with the top goal-scoring defenseman in the league?

3. The Lynx and Aces are both tied on 43 points, 5 points behind the 21st. Who do you think will give the 21st the most competition? 

@JohnnyT_77

1.) You seem to have a knack for scoring, do you plan on building towards an offensively minded defenseman?

2.) Are you a hockey fan? Is there any particular player (NHL/VHL/etc.) that you modeled your player after?

3.) Do you believe Halifax is a shoe-in for the Founder's Cup, or do any of the other teams give you concern?

4.) What is your biggest strength? Weakness?

5.) Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What's your choice for starting your day off right?

1. Comments on the game 99, Halifax vs Saskatoon?

2. What are the coaches like in Halifax?

3. Got any weird rules that the management expects all the players to follow, for example do not eat any ketchup?

4.  Whats it like to play with Shawn Glade on the same pairing?

5. What is in your opinion the most important skill for defender to have?

On 9/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, Tagger said:

1. You made a decision to join an expansion team for this season, did the opportunity to join a team in it's first season play any part in your decision or were there other factors at play?

2. With the moves that have taken place, it looks like the plan for you for the near future at least is sharing second line duties with Shawn Glade, how does it feel playing with the top goal-scoring defenseman in the league?

3. The Lynx and Aces are both tied on 43 points, 5 points behind the 21st. Who do you think will give the 21st the most competition? 

@JohnnyT_77

1. I think there is a whole lot more to my decision in joining up with an expansion club. To be perfectly honest, it could have been an already established team too. The bottom line was I wanted to play somewhere. I love the game and will lace them up anywhere as long as I can get on the ice and contribute. That being said, one of the main reasons I joined this club was due to the recruitment pitch made by the team GM. No other GM was as determined to get me signed as he was. I did receive a few offers, but no one else actively pushed towards making me feel welcome and part of the team. The fact that it was an expansion club added another layer to the decision as far as wanting to be challenged and part of something special in the teams inaugural season. Not only that, but we need to work hard to make a statement in the league. I don't think people take an expansion club seriously, but we've had a hot start and teams are taking notice. 

2. Well, with me being in my first year, I think being paired with Shawn is a great move. It makes a lot of sense. Not only does it provide me with an experienced defenseman that I can learn from, but I feel we compliment each other pretty well. Can't put all your eggs in one basket either. Having a nice balanced team where anyone can be a threat is tough to defend against. So I really like the approach we've taken in our pairings. Aside from that, I'd say yeah, it's pretty amazing to get some significant playing time on the top D pair. 

3. Hmmm... well, both are really good clubs by the looks of things. But, if I'd have to choose, I'd say the Aces may be the best competition we have. I feel they match up with us better and can really challenge us.

Thank you very much for the questions!! Until next time.... :)

On 9/2/2018 at 2:59 AM, omgitshim said:

1.) You seem to have a knack for scoring, do you plan on building towards an offensively minded defenseman?

2.) Are you a hockey fan? Is there any particular player (NHL/VHL/etc.) that you modeled your player after?

3.) Do you believe Halifax is a shoe-in for the Founder's Cup, or do any of the other teams give you concern?

4.) What is your biggest strength? Weakness?

5.) Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What's your choice for starting your day off right?

1. I feel I'm a very offensively aware defenseman, not necessarily purely offensive. I've always had the thought process of being a defenseman first, offense being second. What's important to my game though, is being able to contribute offensively with strong vision, good passing, and the occasional goal from time to time. My ultimate goal is to build and become a very solid two-way player. 

2. Yes I am a huge hockey fan. Isn't that why we're all here? If you're not a hockey fan, then I'd have to say you're in the wrong place. 

If there was a player I try to model myself after, it is someone like legendary defenseman, Denis Potvin.

3. I would like to tell you that Halifax would be a shoe-in to win it all, but great teams have faltered in the playoffs before. It happens every year. A team owns the regular season, only to be ousted in the first round by a lower seed. The playoffs are a completely different beast and Halifax should be ready for that. 

On 9/3/2018 at 3:17 PM, jRuutu said:

1. Comments on the game 99, Halifax vs Saskatoon?

2. What are the coaches like in Halifax?

3. Got any weird rules that the management expects all the players to follow, for example do not eat any ketchup?

4.  Whats it like to play with Shawn Glade on the same pairing?

5. What is in your opinion the most important skill for defender to have?

2. The coaches in Halifax have been great. When I came aboard they promised me the playing time I've been given. I've been very happy with how everything is playing out both for my own career and the results we have been generating in Halifax.

4. Being paired with Shawn Glade has been a dream, really. It's like having Bobby Orr as your linemate. This being my first year in the league, I think he compliments my game very well. Not only that, I feel it's been a big help in the learning process and is a great experience to my development.

5. Answering "defense" is a cop out on this question. So I'll think outside the box on this one and say I think one of the most important skills to have is anticipation. If you can anticipate what your opponent can do and get in position and anticipate what they are going to do, you create so many more opportunities like turnovers, disrupt the rush of the offense, and potentially create more offensive chances. 

• 2 months later...

1. thoughts on your season so far?

2. thoughts on being a part of HSK?

3. What are your goals for next season?

4. Where do you think you end up in your career when it comes to overall stats, HOF and TPE?

5. What are some of your favourite shows and movies? 

@JohnnyT_77

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@JohnnyT_77