Rylan Peace - Biography [1/2]

Peace

145462121_SamBennett(5).png.ad159492c46fa21f573749db4bdfd41c.png

Upbringing:

Rylan Peace was born at the Cardston Chinook Health Center on September 6th at 1:01 AM; his parents, Brett and Anne Peace, were overdue three days eagerly waiting for their son to enter the world and were ecstatic when he arrived; however, the moment was short lived. Due to complications with the birth, Anne started to hemorrhage a concerning amount of blood. On September 7th, after hours of intensive care, Anne Peace died with her son nearby and her husband holding her hand. The only memory Rylan has of his mom is a picture taken after his successful delivery, much to Brett Peace's sadness. 

Due to his father being an owner-operator of his own trucking company, Rylan largely grew up with his grandma in the town of Cardston. He went to school like regular kids and started developing an interest in hockey after watching games on the television when his father was home during the evenings. At the age of five Rylan begun to take skating lessons - paid for by his father - while his grandmother took him to each and every lesson. Eventually, because of the lack of a initiate league in the town, Rylan and his father would move to a city closer to central Alberta - Calgary

Brett would put his son into an initiate league and his skills begun to develop at a high rate, higher than most children on the team. While Rylan was just out there having fun, Brett had already planned on his son becoming a trucker, hoping the hockey phase simply wore off. Rylan's father changed the name of his company to 'Peace and Son Trucking' before Rylan could accurately relay how he felt about it. Of course, being a child, he was happy just to be around his fathers big rigs at the shop.  

As his interest grew in the sport, so did his fathers participation, and eventually Brett was a full-time dad by the time Rylan was eight years old. Although Brett still owned the company, and was often busy in his office, he was always home to spend time with his son. 

By the time Rylan was in Pee-Wee, he was playing at a grade AAA level and needed more involvement from his busy father, so his grandma stepped up to the plate and started helping him out immensely. His father remained extremely supportive - even helping fund a team bus a few times, but his grandma was the true hero. She'd take him to every out of town game, car pool for the hockey club, make suppers to go and offer advice and support when Rylan was struggling - among other grandmotherly things. 

Academically, Rylan was more-or-less a grade average student. His report cards were neither impressive nor disappointing, although - like many students - Rylan accelerated in some classes while falling behind in others. Those classes he was strong in happened to be physical education, science and social studies. Meanwhile, on the other side of the spectrum, Rylan often struggled with math and literature. 

By the start of his high school years, Rylan was forced to relocate back to Cardston with his grandma as the economy forced his father to return to his company as an owner-operator instead of just managing the company from his home office. Although this entirely derailed Rylans chance at playing for Major Junior hockey clubs at an earlier age, Cardston was the home of a new AA high school team in competition with provincial rivals. 

Cardston Steelheads:

Rylan's first year with the Cardston Steelheads saw the young prospect rally off an impressive 38 goals in just 41 games, but after suffering a leg injury his production dropped to just 7 goals in his last 19 games. Although still impressive, Rylan was playing in a competition bracket where he would be a more dominant player regardless of his opposition, and he expected better of himself and his teammates. Just because his location wouldn't allow him to play with a team in the CHL didn't mean he wouldn't try to make a case to the school board, and he certainly expected his teammates to try their hardest on and off the ice. 

Rylan lead the Cardston Steelheads to the playoffs, finishing the season with 45 goals and 28 assists for an impressive 73 points at the age of fifteen/sixteen. Although the high school club made the playoffs, they would be eliminated in four games to Winston Churchill High in Lethbridge. Rylan registered five goals and an assist in those four games, including tying up game four twice when Cardston was trailing 2-1 and 4-3 in the second and third periods, but his efforts weren't enough the his club was eliminated by a far more talented group of students.

In his second year with Cardston, Rylan advanced even further offensively by scoring 49 goals in the 55 games he ended up playing for his high school; Rylan took a small break to attend a family memorial service in the United States and ended up missing five games entirely, including nearly two weeks of classes. Regardless Rylan had, once again, led Cardston to the playoffs to face a high school from Okotoks. 

Cardston won the first game through solid team play and determination - Rylan was able to score two assists in the 5-2 victory over Okotoks, but the Baby-Calgary club was able to apply the pressure in games two and three to take a series lead. Although Rylan had scored twice and assisted on another goal in those two games, his club was now trailing a series for the second year in a row. Game four Rylan exploded offensively, leading his team to a 5-1 victory with a hat trick in the third period. 

It was all for naught, though. Rylan scored the lone goal in their game five 3-1 defeat, and assisted in one of Cardston's two goals in their game six 6-2 defeat. The Steelheads were eliminated 4 games to 2 by Okokoks High.

Lethbridge Hurricanes: 

Rylan was surprised by his grandma during the summer when she moved him and herself into a new home while Rylans father worked to pay the rent of the new building for his family. His grandma was positive Rylan could play at a higher level better than any kid he faced in the lower competition league and immediately enrolled him into Churchill High when registrations opened up. Although initially Rylan didn't fit in, mainly due to being a former player for the Cardston Steelhead's, he was able to quickly make friends with the current crop of WHL players attending the school. 

When tryouts for the Lethbridge Hurricanes started, Rylan earned a spot quickly and made the opening night roster for the Lethbridge Hurricanes. In his first season in the CHL - predictably - Rylan struggled both defensively and offensively for the first half of the season, although when he started to warm up goals came more naturally and stick checking became easier. He finished his first CHL season with 25 goals, 20 assists and 45 points in 68 games. 

The Hurricanes did exceptionally well in the first round, defeating the Red Deer Rebels 4 games to 1 and advancing to the conference semi-finals for the first time since Jordan Bellerive and Tyler Wong lead the club there in the past. Rylan suited up for all five games but only registered two assists in game three, a 5-4 OT victory. In the second round the Hurricanes were defeated by the Brandon Wheat Kings 4 games to 2, but Rylan was able to record a goal and two more assists in the six semi-final games. 

In his second season with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Rylan would receive an 'A' on his jersey, and stepped up to the plate by potting 37 goals, scoring 29 assists and registering a total of 66 points during the regular season. Despite Rylan's offensive improvements, the club digressed in the standings and barely made it into the playoffs; however, having graduated from high school, Rylan was happy with how the year turned out. Academically average was okay with him, but his passion to be a better hockey player each and every day was his true motivation to continue playing as long as he could. 

The Hurricanes were eliminated in the first round four games to three by the Medicine Hat Tigers, however Rylan would manage to score six goals and acquired three helpers for a total of nine points during the post season. Although a disappointing end to a CHL career, Rylan is extremely happy to be a free agent for the Victory Hockey League now. 

Edited by Peace

2 hours ago, Jubo07 said:

@Peace So is the first name Rylan, Ryland or Dylan? It’s now been posted 3 different ways in different posts lol.

I was so tired when I wrote this... It's Rylan, but every time I put in Dylan I was actually talking to my friend Dylan on an Escape From Tarkov server I have so, yeah, my brain was like 'Oh yeah his name is Dylan now, not Rylan, you're tired and won't notice the difference'. I will correct immediately, thanks for noticing! 

As for Ryland the free agent page was mis-spelt, so I was going to change to Ryland, but I kinda like Rylan I was just too shy to say 'Hey that's wrong'. lol

Edited by Peace

10 minutes ago, Peace said:

I was so tired when I wrote this... It's Rylan, but every time I put in Dylan I was actually talking to my friend Dylan on an Escape From Tarkov server I have so, yeah, my brain was like 'Oh yeah his name is Dylan now, not Rylan, you're tired and won't notice the difference'. I will correct immediately, thanks for noticing! 

Here is a corrected player signature as the one I originally made was "Ryland" Peace

Peace.png

Edited by Jubo07

• 3 weeks later...