Pat Svoboda Press Conference

StamkosFan

On 11/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, SlapshotDragon said:

1. Hi! Welcome to the VHL! What are you looking forward to here?

2. Which VHLM team would you wanna be drafted to?

3. Any pre-game rituals your players has?

4. Who is your favourite NHL player?

5. Favourite NHL Team?

6. Why did you choose to be a right wing?

1. Thank you! One of my favorite times for any sim league is always the draft, I'm looking forward to talking to scouts and the excitement of the uncertainty of it all. I'm also looking forward to growing my player and hopefully becoming a top goal scorer. Lastly, I would definitely say I'm a huge fan of international hockey, and I picked Sweden so that I could end up on Team Scandinavia, so playing for them would be awesome!

2. I was picked up by the Ottawa Lynx, and I'm not worried at all about the standings. Their manager, diamond_ace, is in a few of my other sim leagues, and McWolf and I know each other from PBE, so it was a perfect fit. I think we have a chance to turn things around and to bond. We can forge a new reputation for the team! As for the pros, I haven't looked much yet, but I tend to love Canadian teams, so definitely want to end up somewhere in Canada as long as their management is cool. I'm in 3 hockey leagues and only 1 of my pro teams is an American team (ironically the one I'm a GM of).

3. My player likes to re-tape his stick every game, because it helps it to feel like a new game and a fresh start. He does a lot of shooting drills in practice and drinks Gatorade to stay hydrated. Some players are very chatty before the game, but Pat Svoboda likes to be in his own private world, undisturbed, like most goalies. He is focused on the game, and keeping silence, barring instructions from his coaches, is the best way to do that.

4. My username doesn't give that away at all! Steven Stamkos is my hero and my childhood idol, I grew up watching him score 50 goals, and he really got a lot of people in Tampa into the game. His shot is absolutely wicked, nobody has an aim as good as Stammer. He changed our franchise, and he chose to stay here and make Tampa his home for his career. He is charming off the ice and a great leader, perfect captain material. He's an amazing player, and he's great with the fans too!

5. My hometown team, the Tampa Bay Lightning, are my favorites. Amalie Arena has to be one of, if not the, best arena in the league, complete with a pipe organ playing live music, the largest permanently installed Tesla coils in the world, and the largest jumbotron screen indoors in North America. Jeff Vinik and Steve Yzerman have made the fan experience and the team one to be revered and looked up to, and the Lightning fever has reached an all-time high here. You can't walk around anywhere in Tampa without spotting someone in a Lightning shirt within a few minutes! First in the East!

6. I didn't want to be a center, because there is so much TPE that you have to allocate to Faceoffs that wouldn't go to Scoring. I personally am right-handed, and so is my hero Stamkos, so I picked the handedness, and being a righty, it was obvious he should be a right winger. Why not Defense you ask? I'm obsessed with goals and scoring, so it was definitely going to be a forward. One more thing to consider in being a right wing, Nikita Kucherov, my second favorite star, is a right wing, so it's definitely a cool position, and I find more great goal scorers on the right than the left (Patrik Laine, Patrick Kane, Vladimir Tarasenko, Andrei Svechnikov). Well, Kane is more of a playmaker, but he's still awesome so he's on that list.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:19 PM, omgitshim said:

@StamkosFan

1.) What kind of skater are you intending to build?

2.) What made you sign with Ottawa?

3.) What made you want to join the VHL?

4.) Pineapple on pizza?

5.) What is your goal for this season?

1. I intend to build a goal-scoring forward with a lot of strengths and speed. I think the traditional offensive player is just a pure Sniper, but while I want to have accuracy, I want to be a volume shooter, sort of like Ovechkin. I don't intend to do much passing at all, just throw pucks on the net and that's it. Also, I don't really want to have a physical player, hitting just takes stupid penalties.

2. I know the GM of Ottawa from another sim league actually, so it was familiarity more than anything else. Also, a friend from my PBE draft class, McWolf, was on Ottawa and helped me when I first joined VHL and was confused. The other thing, on a less personal level, was I knew I could make a difference in Ottawa and that I would get prime ice time. Ottawa was a team that needed me, and who cares about winning. Underdogs are way more fun anyways!
3. I'm in a bunch of hockey sim leagues, the ones you know probably are SHL and GOMHL, and I figured I should join the last of the trio. I love hockey and hockey sim leagues, and even after doing everything on SHL and cranking out articles, I still had too much time on my hands. When I heard about this in SBA, I thought I would see if it was fun here, and I like it so far.

4. Absolutely! Hawaiian pizza is the best; add in some barbecue sauce, black olives, and mushrooms and that's heaven. Pineapple is such a sweet flavor, and while people think it sounds weird, it's amazing. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

5. My goal is to get into the top-10 TPE earners in my class and to try to go in the first round. If I could get to 20 goals, I know that's a high aspiration but I would really like that a lot. Once I get to 100 TPE, I'll get a 10 TPE bonus, so that's extra incentive to sort of race to that number. I don't know what the max I can get before the draft is, but that's what I'm aiming for.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:12 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

3. Do you or have you ever played hockey in real life?

3. No, I have played a lot of sports, but hockey isn't played that much where I live (Florida) because of weather. I go to Lightning games all the time though, so I definitely watch a lot of it. I did soccer, baseball, and bowling in high school, so I'm not COMPLETELY unathletic haha. I've only even seen snow once, so it's not like you can play hockey during winter here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 10:12 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

1. Is your player build created on a real pro hockey player?

4. Do you plan on sticking around for the long haul in the VHL?

5. Which NHL team is your favorite?

1. It’s sort of on a lot of different guys; the volume shooter part is totally Ovechkin. The speed and shot accuracy ideal is based on my man Nikita Kucherov. The idea of being a big guy who just pushes past opponents is sort of inspired by Byfuglien.

4. Absolutely! I want to experience a full career, and I’m a committed member of this league as well as many others. You don’t have to worry about ol’ StammerFan leaving. I’m here to stay and to win.

5. My name doesn’t give that away at all! I’m a diehard Lightning fan, as I explained when I was asked this in a previous week. To add something new, the Vegas Golden Knights are my second favorite team and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the third!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@StamkosFan

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

Trump would win by pressing the big red button, assuming he could figure out basic geography by asking his generals.

"Which one is Canada?"

"The big piece of land above America, Mr. President."

Obviously Trudeau has more intellect, but Trump has more nukes, so Trump wins.

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

Hockey is my favorite sport, I've been watching it since I was about 5 and I see a lot of Bolts games. Even when they're away or I'm unable to attend, I stream their games on my laptop. Obviously, my favorite team is the Tampa Bay Lightning, who I follow in almost a cult-like fashion.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

I'm the type of person that's super clumsy, and if your laptop is open when you drop it, it shatters whether or not you have a case around it. We need a laptop version of the Otterbox/Lifeproof case that go around the actual laptop and protect the screen the way we safeguard our phones.

Edited by StamkosFan

• 2 weeks later...

1. With the VHL Draft coming, where do you think you're going to end up?

2. Which player from your draft class would you like to play with at some point?

3. Ketchup or Mayo with your fries?

4. What would you say to a VHL team to sell yourself?

5. What other sports do you like?

Bonus : Can you grade my graphics in the SHL please?

@StamkosFan

Just now, Esso2264 said:

@StamkosFan

Will answer the other questions next week lol since I just claimed my PC TPE lol xD I'm not an SHL Graphics Grader, I'm a Media Grader, but if you have a media backlog I'm happy to help with that

I assure you my disdain for the slowness of the graphics team matches yours xD Proof? I wrote this http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=90922

How do you like your team?

What kind of sponsorship do you eventually want?

What are your career goals?

Who is your favorite teammate?

What do you do off the ice?

What is special about being a Swedish player?

How was your VHL draft experience?

What teams would you have liked other than Quebec?

How do you see yourself growing as a player?

What are your weaknesses?

On 12/17/2018 at 1:27 AM, Esso2264 said:

1. With the VHL Draft coming, where do you think you're going to end up?

2. Which player from your draft class would you like to play with at some point?

3. Ketchup or Mayo with your fries?

4. What would you say to a VHL team to sell yourself?

5. What other sports do you like?

1. I thought I was going to the New York Americans, McWolf seemed to like me and I felt that I was the best option at 3. Quebec did say they liked me before, I just didn’t expect to fall so far.

2. Probably Elias Dahlberg, we played together back in Ottawa and he seems like a really nice guy.

3. I’m definitely a ketchup person, it goes well not just with fries but with onion rings and burgers.

4. I’m the world’s #1 TPE whore, like Facebook infamously said, I “move fast and break things.”

5. I don’t really care for anything besides hockey, but if poker counts I do enjoy the WSOP, and I usually watch soccer for the World Cup.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:11 PM, Snussu said:

How do you like your team?

6. Well with the whole Nylander stuff, it wasn’t a great first impression, but I’m signed for three years now so we’ll see. Not sure I see a long time fit.

Edited by StamkosFan

1. Who's going to win RoTY

2. Favourite Social Media Site

3. What do you think of your new team

4. How are you preparing for the first couple of games of the season

5. Are you intimidated going into the VHL this season?

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of sponsorship do you eventually want?

What are your career goals?

What do you do off the ice?

What is special about being a Swedish player?

What teams would you have liked other than Quebec?

What are your weaknesses?

1) I want the sponsorship that pays me the top dollar; ultimately, I want to be on a brand that gives me the top sponsorship slot. Right now, I play for True North, and it's been a good place to start.

2) I want to eventually earn the scoring title in the VHL and to win many awards over the course of my career. I would love to earn a captaincy with a team, to win a Cup, and to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

3) Off the ice, I meet fans occasionally, sign autographs and stuff, watch NHL games on TV, and play video games, I love the EA games. But the main thing is I do a ton of training to stay in tip-top shape.

4) Sweden is a great country; we have a focus on being great puck-movers and we've produced a lot of great hockey players over the years, so we have a great history. It's a great country to represent on the international stage because we perform when it counts.

5) I really liked Davos and the New York Americans, McWolf is on New York so they were high on my list and I was kind of expecting to go to them. I've talked to the Davos GM too and I think he's a solid guy.

6) My weaknesses are definitely passing, I'm a puck hog, and checking is also a weaknesses, I'm not very physical. If I had to pick another weakness, I would pick strength, but I'm working on that.

Who is your favorite teammate?

How was your VHL draft experience?

How do you see yourself growing as a player?

1) My favorite teammate has to be Beau Louth, because I get to play with him and he's super talented; he's leading our team in points. He has 34 points in 27 games at the highest level, so I have mad respect for him.

2) It was pretty crummy, I remember feeling total disappointment with New York didn't pick. McWolf got my hopes up with that mock draft article and it was like it all came crashing down at that moment.

3) I want to develop a more rounded game, but I still want to stay a sniper and be a goal scoring leader. Maybe I'll eventually use my size to my advantage and start hitting, but for now I like staying out of the sin bin.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:11 AM, Banackock said:

@StamkosFan 

Thoughts on your player so far?

Thoughts on the league so far?

What teams interest your to play for in the VHL?

1) I think my player is really underwhelming, and I wish he would perform better. I want to see more goals scored, but hopefully I'll put up a good showing at the WJC here.

2) I was having a lot of fun until very recently, but all in all I think it's a nice, small community. I think the VHL portal is a very distinctive feature and very convenient to have, that's what stands out about the league to me.

3) I hope to go to Davos or New York one day, but I'll have to wait a long time to be free; it's a shame draftees have to stay with their drafted team for half of their career.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, Nykonax said:

1. Who's going to win RoTY

2. Favourite Social Media Site

3. What do you think of your new team

4. How are you preparing for the first couple of games of the season

5. Are you intimidated going into the VHL this season?

1) I bet Elias Dahlberg (you) gets the trophy, he's had a great year and gotten ample opportunity with Davos. He seems really happy and into the game, and is putting up solid numbers; 16 goals so far and his assists total isn't far behind.

2) Definitely Instagram, Facebook just collects your data and is really outdated, and Twitter is basically a place for people to immaturely argue while tossing around half-baked political opinions that don't make factual sense.

3) Well obviously the situation in Quebec has been less than ideal, and we aren't as big of competitors as I was told we were, which was justification for my lowball contract. Right now I'm not sold on much here.

4) Well, it's long past now but I prepared for the first games by doing a lot of drills and working hard on conditioning, as well as going over the playbook and eating as healthy of a diet as possible. Lots of protein for sure so I keep my muscles.

5) Intimidated? Most certainly not, I know that eventually things will turn around and I can do better. Everyone was a rookie once, so there's nothing to be afraid of or to feel threatened by. I'm just excited to get past this entry deal.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:11 AM, Banackock said:

Predict the VHL this season?

6) I think Seattle and Riga square off in the finals, which will be a fiercely fought battle, but Seattle will narrowly edge the Reign despite trailing slightly in the standings and oddmakers giving the slight edge to Riga. Seattle's gonna win the Cup.

Edited by StamkosFan

• 10 months later...

Bana's Quick Q's

What are your thoughts on your season?

What are your thoughts on how your team is doing?

Who do you think wins MVP?

Who has been your teams best player?

If you were to drop the gloves with any other VHLer, who would it be and why? don't be afraid to tag a bitch. 

Who makes it to the finals out of North America?

Who makes it out for Europe?

If the VHLM were to move Mexico but keep logo/name, where would you rebrand em to?

What are your thoughts on 12 days of Christmas?

What are you doing this year for the holiday season?

What are you hoping to get for presents this year?

Tell the league and those who lurk creepily reading these... a fact about you as a member.

[A few for your to pick and answer etc]

@StamkosFan