Let’s talk about the WJC

Beketov

• Commissioner

Normally this is where this old man of the VHL would be bringing up a topic of conversation or something about things that have changed in the league and how @Quik and I, as old guard, are going to bring it back to former glory... wait did I say that? You didn’t read that. Anyway, this week there’s some bonus TPE to talk about the WJC because the VHLM loves the attention so I’m going to change the topic I had planned to be that instead.

Back in my day we only had the World Cup and it was only every 2 seasons and we were damn happy about it. Now you whipper snappers get your own version of it every bloody year. And I know, it existed before this version but only for a few seasons because in my day we disliked the VHLM the way you’re supposed to.

I guess it’s an interesting enough concept though. Especially since the young guys don’t make the WC teams often and the top prospect game has kinda disappeared. So maybe I’m just being bitter about it starting after Thompson was passed the ability to play in it, who knows. Either way they’ll have their fun and I don’t need to aim it this season so that’s nice.

I guess I should make some predictions and shit though right? That’s what people like to do for these things. I think Canada is gonna repeat as winners, especially if @Jubo07 is at their head like he was last season and for the WC since he seems to have the international golden touch. Without looking at any of the rosters or games I’m gonna say US takes silver and Europe takes bronze. These predictions are based on absolutely nothing of course.

Anyway, that’s rant enough and I have no real question to ask this time. Maybe like, how do you like how much attention the VHLM gets these days after so many years in the shadows? That’ll work I guess. If you made it to the end of this ramble then congratulations, here’s a picture of my puppy as a prize.

image.jpg

12 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Normally this is where this old man of the VHL would be bringing up a topic of conversation or something about things that have changed in the league and how @Quik and I, as old guard, are going to bring it back to former glory

:holtzhappy:

Just now, Beketov said:

Do you remember when PT’s weren’t worth 6 TPE? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Remember, I used to get tagged with 4s on my GFX, and brooksie would laugh at my pain. In fact, I just got ptsd of opening GIMP and feelings of defeat washing over me.

#GoodOlDays (do kids still use hashtags on the tweeter?)

• Commissioner
Just now, Quik said:

Remember, I used to get tagged with 4s on my GFX, and brooksie would laugh at my pain. In fact, I just got ptsd of opening GIMP and feelings of defeat washing over me.

#GoodOlDays (do kids still use hashtags on the tweeter?)

Hell, in season 1 as I recall PT’s weren’t even worth 6 max, weren’t they only 4? Or was that the ESHL?

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Hell, in season 1 as I recall PT’s weren’t even worth 6 max, weren’t they only 4? Or was that the ESHL?

I think that was the SHL, scotty's original league.

I do remember there being a double cap, one for people with jobs, and a lower one for those without. Man, those days were really a grind, it's no wonder I only had one player go the distance before MJ lol

• Commissioner
Just now, Quik said:

I think that was the SHL, scotty's original league.

I do remember there being a double cap, one for people with jobs, and a lower one for those without. Man, those days were really a grind, it's no wonder I only had one player go the distance before MJ lol

That would be the ESHL then. So far as I know Scotty was never involved in the original SHL and, for that matter, the original SHL had no PT’s. My time in it, the OHL, and then the VHL were all within like 6 months so it kinda blues together.

But yeah, shit was unforgiving. I think the jobless cap was 7 or something (the caps merged early on though) and if you didn’t put in the effort for a PT you damn well weren’t getting full credit for it.

Have I ranted about that yet? I don’t remember. I feel like it was part of one of them. Man we were tough back in the day.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

That would be the ESHL then. So far as I know Scotty was never involved in the original SHL and, for that matter, the original SHL had no PT’s. My time in it, the OHL, and then the VHL were all within like 6 months so it kinda blues together.

But yeah, shit was unforgiving. I think the jobless cap was 7 or something (the caps merged early on though) and if you didn’t put in the effort for a PT you damn well weren’t getting full credit for it.

Have I ranted about that yet? I don’t remember. I feel like it was part of one of them. Man we were tough back in the day.

Yeah, you're right, scotty's was ESHL, and it was one of the longer running leagues at a whole ... wait for it ... 4 seasons!

And yeah, I think the jobless cap was 7, job cap was 9, and it was very routine for people to only get 5 per week. The scale was a lot easier, but yeah, it was near impossible to really whore out at the start

40-70 = 1

70-80 = 2

80-90 = 3

90-95 = 4

95-99 = 5

IIRC. AND, attributes got rounded to the nearest 1, which meant there was a million people with .5, .6, or .66 at the end of their attributes.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Quik said:

40-70 = 1

70-80 = 2

80-90 = 3

90-95 = 4

95-99 = 5

There was definitely no scale st the 5’s, that is relatively new. 90-99 was 4 but the rest is accurate.

And yeah, combine it with the fact that many people retired after 6 seasons to get the bonus carryover and you have HoF players with less than 500 TPE I think haha. Hell Beketov was 2nd generation and he got into the Hall with i think somewhere around 550. I had more than that to start last season which was only year 2...

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

There was definitely no scale st the 5’s, that is relatively new. 90-99 was 4 but the rest is accurate.

And yeah, combine it with the fact that many people retired after 6 seasons to get the bonus carryover and you have HoF players with less than 500 TPE I think haha. Hell Beketov was 2nd generation and he got into the Hall with i think somewhere around 550. I had more than that to start last season which was only year 2...

That's what I thought about 90-99, but couldn't believe that's how little it cost back then lol. As for HOF...Somewhere around 220 TPE IIRC

Snelheid got in around the 500 mark lol. Inflation with the new scale helps, but Bailey 1.0 was drafted with 266 TPE. Bailey 2.0 already has 284, and will fall somewhere around 350 by the time the draft comes...

As a new retainment crew member, a WJC co-commissioner and a fairly new member that was part of the tournament for the first time last season, I'm gonna go ahead and share my totally unbiased opinion with you old timers:

I think it's cool that new members get so much to do at the start, with the WJC and everything surrounding the draft, namely the weekly rankings, the mock drafts, etc. The competition gets a lot stiffer once you get to the VHL, so it's fun to taste what it's like to dominate in the VHLM and take part in an international tournament at the very start of your career before moving up and becoming a depth piece for a couple years. If the VHLM was the dark place no one really wanted to be in, no matter you had trouble getting new members to join and keeping them active up until they were important players on their VHL teams a couple of seasons later. I guess, it's not everyone that would stick around long enough to go through 2 uninteresting months in the VHLM and then 6+ months of barely being a depth piece in the VHL before actually getting good. Especially not first-gens.

• Commissioner
31 minutes ago, Victor said:

How would you know, you weren't allowed to do PTs in season 1.

Why you gotta bring that up? And I was for a little bit haha