YOU PAID HOW MUCH, FOR YOUR BACK UP? (VHLM Goalies and Their Brands)

BladeMaiden

YOU PAID HOW MUCH, FOR YOUR BACK UP?

You might think that this writer is clearly doing this to get a reaction out of the community, but it is absolutely crazy what some teams are paying to have a player sit on their bench. How do I know these goalies will see a lot of bench time? Most of these brand teams have VHL starters that are likely to see a lot of ice time. When looking at the following information it can be seen that value must be in the eye of the beholder for this year’s brand executives, especially when it comes to snagging VHLM goalies. The Only thing that makes sense in the graph below is that Stoffiday is earning top dollar as he is the top goalie in the VHLM, no ands, ifs, or buts about it. The Main question is how is the 5th slot active goalie Davison making $500,000 while Mertz took a contract for $0. My guess is that Mertz showed up late for the season and he would rather ride the bench on a winning team than make money, but that is just an educated guess. Another thing that just seems out of place is Wahl’s $1,250,000 contract, Wahl is at best tied with Mertz for 3rd in the league and was offered an early contract with UB Games.  It is shocking to see Wahl get such a hefty contract in his first season and makes me think that UB’s GM must be anticipating for Wahl to continue to get better and has locked him in for a 3 Season Contract. It might interest other brand GMs that the current 2nd slot VHLM Goalie and Winner of 2 Canadian Gold Metals in the WCJ is still up for grabs. Do you think these GMs over paid for their spare tires?

Goalie Name

User

Brand

Contract Amount

VHLM Team

VHLM

SV%

VHLM

GAA

VHLM

SO

Rhett Stoffiday

@Stoffiday

Executive Player:

jolt juice

$1,250,000

YUK

Kevin Weekes

@Lefty

No Contract Offered

LVA

Cole Mertz

@ColeMrtz21

Haterade

$0

HFX

Brick Wahl

@BladeMaiden

UB Games

$1,250,000

SSK

Finn Davison

@Poptart

Haterade

$500,000

OTT

Divaani Sohva

@Sohva

No Contract Offered

OSL

Edited by BladeMaiden

I'm glad you just focused on VHLM backups. True North have Shawn Brodeur, and then as backup Johnny Havenk Carison (who I think was originally intended to be the starter until Brodeur was unsigned for a few weeks). Now it's probably an investment in the future, as Brodeur's pretty old, but at least in the inaugural season we're paying Carison to sit the bench.

12 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

I'm glad you just focused on VHLM backups. True North have Shawn Brodeur, and then as backup Johnny Havenk Carison (who I think was originally intended to be the starter until Brodeur was unsigned for a few weeks). Now it's probably an investment in the future, as Brodeur's pretty old, but at least in the inaugural season we're paying Carison to sit the bench.

I’m pretty sure that that was common amoung many brands, pick up your good prospects now pay them decent for the time being and gaurentee that they will play for you as a starter in a season or two. Honestly, this whole thing was inspired by me thinking about what teams are willing to invest in their future. I’m hoping to do another article on who the GMs think personifies their brand on their team, and who is the one player on another team that belings with thier brand, just a fun fluff piece for the future.