Rewarding forum activity

Eudaldkp

Hey! What's up, I'm guessing that this has been suggested already but I wanted to bring it up again and hopefully provide a different view.

I want to start by explaining than in the SBA (our Basketball affiliate) you get TPE for commenting on sim threads within 24hr from when they were posted. I feel like it gives the forum so much life that it could really be of some use in the VHL. You can do it three times throughout the week and you earn 1 TPE for each time, obviously this can be tweaked but I find it to be a very neat idea, the forum feels more alive IMO and it is also a relatively easy going way to earn TPE (whenever I do reviewing here I want to kym).

I would also like to implement some sort of reward for "role-playing", let me explain because with the recent stuff going with @BladeMaiden that sounds very sexual lmao. By role-playing I mean forging your player life, his friends, his enemies, league rilvalries, and somewhat find a way to reward the system. That would be more complicated but it could work as a media spot where you basically do a write-up of a story that is not too far-fetched and it can involve other parties. 

Also, articles barely get any attention, it feels somewhat bad to post a 1k word media spot and not even get an answer. If we could implement something that would work like reviewing but with a thoughtful comment about the media spot  that would be cool, I feel like it would be a nice addition too.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Edited by Eudaldkp

We used to do this for the VHLM game threads (without the 24 hour rule) instead of the practice facility automatic +2, but to be honest, it really didn't change much, so we changed it back.

Regarding "role-playing"...I don't like the idea of rewarding one type of media spot over another based on it's content. I think role playing is a nice way to keep yourself engaged and fresh with ideas, but I don't think it should be forced.

Just now, Fire Hakstol said:

We used to do this for the VHLM game threads (without the 24 hour rule) instead of the practice facility automatic +2, but to be honest, it really didn't change much, so we changed it back.

Regarding "role-playing"...I don't like the idea of rewarding one type of media spot over another based on it's content. I think role playing is a nice way to keep yourself engaged and fresh with ideas, but I don't think it should be forced.

I don't mean anything to be forced, it would be just to give more options on how to earn TPE so it wouldn't get repeating and stale and you can switch options over the weeks. 

What happened with the VHLM game threads? People wouldn't post? I think maybe giving out automatic +2 is too generous, 1 for a comment would be cool. Also it would have to be a somewhat decent comment.

I forgot to add something very important, I'll edit it now. Articles barely get any attention, it feels somewhat bad to post a 1k word media spot and not even get an answer. If we could implement something that would work like reviewing but with a thoughtful comment about the media spot  that would be cool, I feel like it would be a nice addition too.

I had a check now and was actually surprised that we only got rid of the way Fire Hakstol mentioned we used to do it four seasons ago (In May), felt way longer ago than that. The reason I saw cited for the change was that while it had good intentions, people found it annoying to claim the TPE (We would use the same practice facility threads, but we had to copy and paste the links to the three game thread posts in there, which I imagine would be more frustrating for our mobile/tablet users as well) combined with people wanting an activity check PT saw the two ideas combine into one and thus the current Practice Facility. It did help post counts though from what I remember of our initial research into the matter, so maybe something like that would be worthwhile re-implementing in some form if we found a way to better tally it. 

I would say no to the role-playing stuff for pretty much the same reason as Fire Hakstol said in that I don't think certain media articles should receive more than others based on the context (E.g. My favourite articles are the ones that cover statistical/historical stuff, I wouldn't want to see them fall by the wayside because they were rewarded less).

As for the articles thing, I can feel where you're coming from, it can feel pretty shit when you put in the effort to then have no feedback whatsoever (or even worse just like the most pettiest of criticisms for it). I think implementing something specifically to encourage feedback would be difficult though as, at the end of the day, it would wind up being very much similar to the current reviewing system that yourself and others aren't the biggest fans of. 

7 hours ago, Tagger said:

I had a check now and was actually surprised that we only got rid of the way Fire Hakstol mentioned we used to do it four seasons ago (In May), felt way longer ago than that. The reason I saw cited for the change was that while it had good intentions, people found it annoying to claim the TPE (We would use the same practice facility threads, but we had to copy and paste the links to the three game thread posts in there, which I imagine would be more frustrating for our mobile/tablet users as well) combined with people wanting an activity check PT saw the two ideas combine into one and thus the current Practice Facility. It did help post counts though from what I remember of our initial research into the matter, so maybe something like that would be worthwhile re-implementing in some form if we found a way to better tally it. 

I would say no to the role-playing stuff for pretty much the same reason as Fire Hakstol said in that I don't think certain media articles should receive more than others based on the context (E.g. My favourite articles are the ones that cover statistical/historical stuff, I wouldn't want to see them fall by the wayside because they were rewarded less).

As for the articles thing, I can feel where you're coming from, it can feel pretty shit when you put in the effort to then have no feedback whatsoever (or even worse just like the most pettiest of criticisms for it). I think implementing something specifically to encourage feedback would be difficult though as, at the end of the day, it would wind up being very much similar to the current reviewing system that yourself and others aren't the biggest fans of. 

- That sounds a bit tedious yea, maybe we could implement in an easier way since it helped raise the forum activity.

- I get your point, but I'm not saying that some things must be more rewarding than the others. I'm just advocating for giving people more options. Although I guess we could "roleplay" and count it as a media spot, it is pretty unpopular if people barely check the spots.

- Gotta agree with you there, although maybe leaving a comment with a thoughtful response feels better than leaving a review on a signature.