Poor S63 goalies.

hedgehog337

sadgolie_400x400.jpg

*such is life...*

Back in S50's the league was lacking of players and members were worried about this. Then Molholt has brought the Player 2 idea to fill the draft and not having teams trying to barely scrap inactive players from FA to fill their roster. Little they knew it was the start of the goalie influx. Since a very few of them had goalies in the past they decided to create them to try something new. Like one player and one goalie. Well, makes sense. But at one point, some goalies were forced to play for some rebuidling team just because nobody wanted them. Like Key Perought (or something like that) - he wasn't very active, but still had some promise. He ended up as one of three Seattle goalies. Or Torstein Ironside - yeah he had a shit luck in playoffs, but can you imagine to pass a 1000+ TPE goalie? But yes, nobody really wanted him and he was forced to end his career in a rebuilding Davos team. That's a shame.

So the S60's arrived and majority of these PP2 goalies became old. They were about to retire in one-two seasons and it looked like we may see the opposite. The lack of goalies was about to become a thing...until the recruitment team has started to put up some real work. Also, GM's continued to create goalies as well to just make sure they will have a starter before starting to compete. And I'm one of them - although this was kinda forced moved when Aamo went inactive. Kingfisher seemed like another forced move - Arkander was about to have a forced retirement and Spade was trying to save NY contention window. Without a success, but why retiring his goalie then? It makes his team's future better, isn't it? So Ismond stayed.

But it still was tolerable until the S63 came around. After all, Stopko wasn't so far from a retirement and Davos had some problems with this position as well. But this is where all problems started. We saw another two active goalies coming up and one semi-active Sohva who more looks like a decent VHLM starter, but still. These two active goalies are Brick Wahl and Finn Davison. It looked very nice - they were warned about the potential goalie influx. But they both decided to fight for the glory. But it all became worse: it appeared that Stoffiday wasn't going to quit and fought hard enough for taking a starter spot in Davos. As about another potential destiantion in Calgary - their GM wasn't fond of Wahl taking the other team's AGM spot and looks like Bash is inclined to create a GM goalie instead. So all of this put both Wahl and Davison into jeopardy. Only Calgary has a free goalie spot, but will the GM look at their way? Nevermind, there are more than question about this situation:

1. Will Bash make a surprise and choose Wahl?

2. Or maybe he will take Davison? Poptart isn't a GM or AGM in any team so it shouldn't really bother him. Also, I don't see Calgary being shitty with Canmore, Lawson and Revchenko on their roster, so taking a goalie makes a sense.

3. Will Shawn Glade make an insurance pick by taking another goalie? He may make Stoffiday to work harder with this pick.

4. Will Blade change her mind and agree to play backup for one season and see from there?

5. Or she will retire because nobody is giving her goalie a chance?

The upcoming draft will be interesting as the last three, but the goalie thing takes the cake there. Can't wait for the Tuesday (or Wednesday night for me) to see the revelation of this drama.

That's it and I'm out.

No TPE gained since it's for the affiliate leagues.

To answer a few of your questions, Brick is nobody’s back up, for me from the very beginning it was HoF or bust.  I don’t plan in fading into the sunset. This is a tough situation but in retrospect I wouldn’t have made any different choices. It was an honour to be asked to be @Beaviss‘ AGM in Quebec. I am still hoping that I will make my mark on the VHL and I still believe the best spot for Wahl is with @Bushito in Calgary, but that choice is firmly in his hands. I don’t like the idea of sharing time with @Stoffiday because he deserves his own spot and I would hate competing for time with him, but if I had to I woud. Lastly my heart goes out to @Poptart he has been an amazing goalie and deserves a spot in the bigs as well, I really hope Davison gets a good spot, just not my starting spot lol.