Let's Steal From The SHL

A positive stealing, that is. I really like the new idea they implemented in the SHL and I feel as though it would benefit us here a lot. They implemented a mentor program that would have veteran SHL members or extremely active and consistent members help newer members make it in the league without feeling overwhelmed. 

I've always been this way while being a part of the VHLM, whether it was as a player, GM or commissioner, I was always trying my hardest to help new members. I'd like to run this committee if we take the idea, and hire people I feel could really help benefit the league. I know people have been here since S1 or S2 and so on, and I've only been here since S15, but I've been extremely active, consistent with my activity and dedicated to the league. 

We have such a strong community, and I really do believe this would help. I understand we have a welcoming committee, but I want to go one step further. Having a personal mentor assigned to a new member could be extremely beneficial for them, knowing they have someone to consult and not feel stupid asking possible silly questions to. 

What do ya'll think? 

Guest Svoboda_3

I suggested this days ago, but I would be willing to be that prick that helps mentor a new member.

Edited by Svoboda_3

But with that said, I was thinking about this the other day, but was limited because I was using my phone. I propose we start a general new member thread in the create a player section that is titled "New Members Come Here" or whatever. New members would post in the thread and another member would claim them in that thread. That member would then be in charge of helping that new member get used to the league until the person was claimed by a VHLM team. Pay of 1 TPE per new member.

• Admin

Do we have the capacity to pull this off?

Can we wait and see what happens in the SHL? Like they've literally just implemented it, they have a shit ton of members, if it fails there that's going to be a massive warning sign.

Do we have the capacity to pull this off?

Can we wait and see what happens in the SHL? Like they've literally just implemented it, they have a shit ton of members, if it fails there that's going to be a massive warning sign.

It doesn't seem like something that would take a lot of effort.

I'm a part of the Rookie Mentor Committee in the SHL and I know I've been assigned to a couple of new members and have received positive responses from the few I've spoken to. I know the sample size is not very big since I'm one of many, but I have helped some new guys get used to doing things over there. 

I've been around on here for a 6-7 seasons and I still don't have the hang of things around here. I know I usually ask a bunch of questions to people I am closer to in the chat, but if this would have been around when I joined, I know I probably would have had a better time adjusting to the league. I'm saying this as someone who was part of the SHL for a while before coming over. Most new recruits don't know the concept of player sim leagues and could use the help.

That's just my 2 cents though.

This has been suggested like 400,000 times by different people and the debate still rages isn't that the job of a VHLM GM?  Like that should be in your job description, neigh, it is in your job description which I know for fact because I wrote it when I was on the welcoming committee.  Why isn't this a GMs job?  Like seriously it should be expected of a GM and if the GM fails to deliver nooblets who remain in the league, or a lost nooblet comes wandering out seeking help, the GM should lose their job.  The VHLM is a developmental league and if you want to have a VHLM GM job you should be prepared and eager to develop players.  Even VHL GMs don't just toss their players to the side, the best ones continually check in and are there to help their players, it's part of getting the most out of your team and it's part of their job in a leadership role in the league.  This should transcend to the VHLM and should be equally expected out of VHLM GMs.  And if you're a VHL or VHLM GM sitting here like "oh I never do this" what exactly are you doing?  In my opinion this shouldn't be necessary, it should be expected from the GMs.  Now that's not saying our current welcoming system couldn't be revised with regards to the welcome message and the initial entrance to the league, but beyond that the onus is on the GMs.

Which GM do you fire for the member that is new and waiting for a team. I just think the first 72 hours are the make or break for new members and we do a really piss poor job of helping new people out. Moreover, its a real mess to jump into fresh. It seems really overwhelming for sure.

Which GM do you fire for the member that is new and waiting for a team. I just think the first 72 hours are the make or break for new members and we do a really piss poor job of helping new people out. Moreover, its a real mess to jump into fresh. It seems really overwhelming for sure.

This. I am not a GM and even when I was, I catch new members within the first hour or so of them signing up. Just today I approached one and got him to 11 TPE right away. It is on the GM's of teams who own the rights to that player. However, for the new member he won't have a team yet and that's where someone really active comes in handy.