A good day to be a commissioner

Banackock

The Process

So the ball got rolling a little ways through the season - despite it actually being brought up by yours truly at some point last season that expansion was potentially needed. Was it needed then? Well, basing it off how things are very tight right now in the VHLM world in regards to rosters, waiver claims and all of that stuff - mixed in with the recruitment team either doing a good job or itching to do another one, I'd say yes. A single team could have been added in that season, but maybe it wasn't absolutely needed. No harm there. Now we brought up the questions and while initially some members were skeptical, once it became under study - facts and numbers were shown and with future recruitment drives in mind, it was best to add a team. Well, actually, it was best to add 2. What we seen was the VHL expanding alongside with the VHLM, so it makes sense, if one leagues growing, the other will follow presently or at least sometime in the nearish future. With the league growing so quickly the last few seasons and all the wheels all working effectively in the grand scheme of things, the VHLM is saying hello to two brand new teams, in brand new cities with brand new logos. That's a lot of brand new.

For the cities, it didn't take too long to narrow down where we wanted. Initially, I presented a bunch of logos - which are extremely easy to find online for the most part - with exclusive rights (we are the true owners, and the only ones of that logo) and came up with a few ideas. As the process went along, I presented another list of logos and everyone came to an agreement on two of them - your now Houston Bulls and Philadelphia Reapers. With minor work done to the logos, it was actually - for the most part, a very easy and quick decision that was handled appropriately by everyone involved. It was a serious matter and unlike previous expansions in the VHLM, this one was about as smooth as smooth comes. The logos look amazing and I REALLY like the Bulls logos. I think both of the cities are excellent hockey markets, especially for a minor league team in the VHLM and Philadelphia, from the sounds of it, was long over due. When it was first brought up, we were instructed by those of higher power "either two new, or two old" for choosing teams. So, either an old VHLM team brought back to life - or two completely brand new teams. I pushed for 2 new! That's exciting, that make the league feel alive, fresh, bold and new. All things that VHL and VHLM have actually become over the last 10 seasons. The league is new. The league is alive. It's fresh. Then, we moved Oslo to North America - now Minnesota. It didn't make sense to have one international and the rest North American. USA was an obvious location as we now have 4 in Canada and 4 in the States. I actually like a North American league - but who knows, maybe in the future we branch off again (but I wouldn't count on this anytime soon). And on a lighter side of things, for what it's worth, never listen to @Peace and his attempts to bring Saskatoon to Brampton. We will never give into his demands. 

The majority of the stuff was fairly easy to decide on too. The rules for the drafts - expansion and VHLM went fairly quickly, a we came about with a lottery and playoff format that is 100% the VHL in it's current state. We kept it simple and similar, because both of those work really well together so it should keep things running smoothly and could even make things a little better and efficient. Picking the GM's was somewhat of a task! I narrowed it down to a group of people who have done an amazing job representing themselves on the Forums or on Discord. They were people who talk lots, help lots and contribute to the league in so many great ways. These people got messages with questions, letting them know I was interested in potentially adding them to the VHLM GM ranks. It's a different way of doing things, maybe. A lot of people expected hiring threads - the jobs to be open and the chance to GM. I totally get it and I would likely be disappointed too - especially for an expansion team as those are always really fun! However, the groups of guys I sent messages out to, were the best candidates for the job. After receiving messages back and all of that, I narrowed it down to a final 3 which eventually found @BladeMaiden and @Sonnet taking over the newest expansion teams for the VHLM. I think by now, everyone knows who these 2 people are - even some of the newest members on the site. Overtime I go onto the forums or discord, they're kicking up conversations, talking to new members and simply taking part in the leagues community. To me, they were top candidates for the role and there couldn't have been better options for hiring. Not a diss to anyone else, but I fully believe in the abilities which these two possess to successfully lead a VHLM organization. 

It's an exciting time for both leagues with so much going on. It's also a chaotic time for those involved prepping and planning for it - leading the show. With real lives outside of this crazy league, It can be tough to manage and everyone involved did an amazing job - so the league should largely applaud them. Both leagues are looking better than they have in so, so, so many seasons and the it continues to get better and more enjoyable. I think next season is going to be the most fun yet and this off-season is going to be full of changes, moves and a lot of excitement. I'd keep eyes on both leagues - the VHL with the awesome new Moscow team and Quebec moving the Vancouver, but trust me when I say this VHLM off-season is likely going to be a crazy one because your wonderful, amazing and hardworking  @VHLM GM 's like to keep myself and company on their feet at all times. 

Happy Sunday!

2x6= 2 weeks

KOVALCHUK

jan 28 to feb 3 AND feb 4 to 10

Edited by Banackock

2 hours ago, Banackock said:

And on a lighter side of things, for what it's worth, never listen to @Peace and his attempts to bring Saskatoon to Brampton. We will never give into his demands. 

Yes you will. 

I have a 'Ace' up my sleeve. 

Muahahaha? 

?

Edited by Peace