Expnasion mock draft from Riga GM [1/2]

hedgehog337

Less useless intro shit, more actual talk. My take on an upcoming expansion draft right down below!

:cal:CALGARY WRANGLERS

Protected players:

(S58) C - Jasper Canmore (GM player)

(S62) D - Cayden Saint

(S62) D - Lando Baxter

(S62) C - Oleksiy Revchenko

(S63) RW - Wlodziemierz Zajaczkowski

(S64) C - Mark Gebauer

(S64) RW - Diljodh Starload

(S64) G - Brick Wahl

It's not hard to predict what Bash is going to do. S63-64 are pretty much auto protected since letting them go would be a suicide. The only potential question could be about Saint and von Moltke. But the defenceman has more TPE than the guy who was terrorizing goalies back in his VHLM days. They are both inactive, but at Cayden still has more potential. I'm not even sure if any of S62 players will stay in Calgary for a long time (maybe except for Revchenko). But for now, it's easy to name protected players and I believe Bash already figured it out without our mocks.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S62) LW - Karl von Moltke

Obvious. Karl is way younger than McKnight who only has one season left. Victor picks him and will hope that Alec is coming back at some point. This player will never become a VHL star though and will serve as the second line player for Moscow unless he indeed comes back.

:que:QUEBEC CITY MEUTE, soon to be VANCOUVER WOLVES

Protected players:

(S60) G - Tristan Iseult

(S61) D - Samuel Gate

(S61) C - Beau Louth (GM player)

(S61) LW - Marvin Harding

(S62) C - Rauno Palo

(S62) LW - Jake Davis

(S63) RW - Jorgon Weyed

(S64) D - Jagger Philliefan

Quebec is another team with almost all obvious picks. Can you imagine Beav not protecting Gate? Or Harding? Or Palo? Yes, he still can't count to 8 and this could screw his team chances in an upcoming wildcard series. And yes, he will protect all of high TPE guys. I also imagine Toby Fitzgerald is not going to be the 8th guy being protected: he pretty much went inactive and never bothered to add these banked TPE to his build prior. The harderst question here would be Philliefan or Nathan N? But I believe the answer is easier than we could've thought. First of all, Philliefan is a defenceman and Quebec-Vancouver will definitely need one. Also, Nathan has less TPE. I think I don't need to explain why Beav won't protect Mulligan despite of a solid TPE ammount. This build just isn't it and this team doesn't needs another hitter.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S62) LW - Konstantin Mulligan

I was thinking for quite time about it. I won't be surprised if Victor will take Nathan instead. He isn't the most active TPE earner. However, he is two seasons younger and looks like he will have a better build. But now the question is: can he become a franchise player for Moscow? I don't think he would be able to take this role with his current TPE earning pace. And with Vic fully emracing the tanking mode, he is just going to take Mulligan simply because why not. And he has more TPE and such things.

:dav:HC DAVOS DYNAMO

Protected players:

(S61) D - Alvaro Jokinen

(S63) LW - Randoms

(S64) G - Finn Davison

(S64) D - Piotr Jerwa

(S64) LW - Elias Dahlberg

(S64) RW - Pat Svoboda

(S64) RW - John Madden

In other cases, Jokinen might have been an iffy player. But any questions about him are automatically deleted when you check whose player he is. I don't think Shawn will risk to fuck up his relationship with Ahma. Other 50/50 question is about whether to protect Jerwa or pick other interesting prospect, like Dan Baillie. At the end of the day, Katie Warren is a forward and pulling a Helsinki in a rebuilding team by playing with 7-8 active forwards might not be the best choice. So Glade will keep a defenceman and hope Maj will consider about returing to his previous activity.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S64) RW - Dan Baillie

Wcats was drafted by Riga in last draft. The same team Podrick Cast is playing for right now. And the Menace GM definitely knows 'Cats activity and will make an obvious choice. It's also possible that Dan may become a first line player next season. It depends on other off-season acquirements by Moscow, but one thing is clear - they won't pass on this guy.

:hel:HELSINKI TITANS

Protected players:

(S62) C - Dan Montgomery

(S62) LW - Vesto Slipher

(S63) G - Alexander Pepper

(S63) D - Sidney Crosby

(S63) D - Jesse Wilson

(S63) LW - Julian Borwinn

(S63) RW - Vaydar Odinsson

(S64) C - Kronos Bailey (GM player)

Quik might be one of rare GM's who will like an expansion draft. His team boasts of a serious depth, but that can't last long and some players will need to go regardless. I think this list protected players is 100% correct. Montgomery isn't that active like he was supposed to be, but Helsinki will need a center. Also, he still has more TPE than his draft peer in Paolo Nano. Joey Boucher is another active player going unprotected, but he is still behind other forwards and there's nothing he can do about that, sadly.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S62) D - Paolo Nano

I believe Moscow won't take much defencemans in an upcoming off-season so this pick could make sense. Paolo is another ex-Riga player so it also could play a part in this pick. The main reason why I'm seeing Paolo being taken by the Menace GM is he's more consistent than Joey. Also, he is a bit more active in boards.

:nya:NEW YORK AMERICANS

Protected players:

(S62) G - Ismond Kingfisher (GM player)

(S62) RW - Roctrion King

(S63) D - Joseph McWolf

(S63) RW - Dan Wilinsky

(S64) D - Ryan Sullivan Jr.

(S64) C - Joel Ylonen

(S64) C - Ryan Zabby

(S64) RW - Matthew Materazo

Why this Materazo dude reminds me of Marco Materazzi? Oh right, very similar last name for some reason. Anyways, he is one of players than I put into the protection list. He seems more active and promising than either Eric Parker, Anton Adwin or Sven Hitz. Another interesting question concerns Scott Shawinganen. He has more TPE than Zabby or Matthew and his performance is telling us he is feeling nice in the Big Apple. Also, Zabby is hardly a center at this moment. But these are only positives about Scott. There is pretty much one reason why protecting him wouldn't make much more sense than Zabby or Materazo. The S63 sixth overall pick is basically inactive right now. It won't take a lot of time for Zabby to dump Scott out of a 2C position. And Matt_O is simply active and more promising than other S64 send downs or Scott. There is always a chances that Corn could come back and at least start to claim a welfare, but will it be much better for NY then? The answer remains unclear even in this case.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S63) C - Scott Shawinganen

Yes, Moscow is not going to compete for some time and they would need an active youngsters. But are Parker, Hitz or Edvin good enough for that? Erik will graduate to the VHL league, but won't make a big impact regardless and isn't a first pair defence material even for an expansion team. And other two won't be called up. So why just not to take a decent player even is he's inactive. Scott will make sure Moscow won't suck completely.

:sea:SEATTLE BEARS

Protected players:

(S60) LW - Veran Dragomir

(S61) G - Roger Sterling

(S61) D - Robert Malenko

(S61) LW - Matt Thompson

(S61) RW - Sergei Kovalev

(S62) Vyacheslav Smirnov (GM player)

(S62) D - Maxim Kovalchuk

(S64) C - Gucci Garrop

Bana has an intersting choice. Either to approach the easiest way and protect Garrop or adding some spice in this off-season and not let Komarov to just spite Goon. However, it's more smart to save Gucci. He can try to have fun and not let a Russian defenceman to his home, but Goon might just to stay at 199 TPE and continue to bank them to make a counter spite. Will Seattle be interested in a defenceman who might even be worse than Thunderfist? Especially when next season might be the last competitive season for them. It's just better to take Garrop and try to end it on a high note.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S64) D - Evgeni Komarov

Enough said. The Russian is drafted by a Russian team. Goon is happy, Seattle will have a better D line, everybody are happy. End of the story.

:rig:RIGA REIGN

Protected players:

(S61) C - Mikka Pajari [?]

(S61) C - Podrick Cast

(S61) RW - Edwin Preencarnacion

(S62) LW - Ryuu Crimson

(S62) LW - Leph Twinger

(S62) D - Shawn Glade

(S63) D - Ryan Kastelic

(S63) G - Kallis Kriketers (GM player)

I assume this is what majority would think about when they were making or will make their own mock protection list. And if I wasn't Riga GM, this would be my guess. I mean, there is nothing surprising about that, right? All of them are more or less active and consistent at TPE earning. The most intrguing question for some members is Pajari or Peace. It's indeed hard to figure it out who is going to win this mini race for being protected. Peace is two seasons younger than Mikka and his TPE earning rate is definitely better. However, Mikka has a positional edge over Rylan: he's a decent 2C. The next best center in Riga could be Curtis Gary. And while he has a decent activity so far, 250-260 TPE might be too little for having a good rookie season. It's just even second line centres these days has more than 350 TPE and this is not good news for this youngster. Will Riga find a similar level but younger C, the situation turns 180 and Rylan is protected. At this moment it's unclear as hell, but the position saves Mikka despite him being two seasons older. Perhaps.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S63) RW - Rylan Peace [?]

Victor will gladly take a Riga player and it won't even matter who. I think he will be happy with taking any of Riga player at this moment, whether it's Rylan, Mikka or even one of Kisshan/Blake. The Reign has a lot of interesting players and I will have the guts to tell yall that Riga is going to give the best player out of the non-protected ''draftees''.

:tor:TORONTO LEGION

Protected players:

(S58) RW - Adam Warlock

(S59) D - Luc-Pierre Lespinau-Lebrunette

(S59) LW - Ewan R. Lawson

(S60) LW - Oyorra Arroyo

(S62) G - Johnny Havenk Carisson

(S63) LW - Chace Trepanier

(S63) D - Tzyuu

(S64) G - JB Rift (GM player)

The last team in this article and this was kinda easy. Why Warlock instead of other player, like Bronstein? I feel like Devise will prefer to have a forward because Arroyo will need at least some support after Irosnide leaves Toronto. Stevo isn't really active and not even being consistent with claiming a welfare. Neither is Green. But like I said, being a forward saves him from being exposed. Also, Carisson will finally become a starter since Rift will be too raw for the big league now.

MOSCOW MENACE CHOOSES:

(S61) D - Lew Bronstein

Nothing else to pick. There is only Lavar Ball left and he's inactive as hell and isn't holding any value. Taking a younger semi-active player is a much better choice.

PROJECTED MOSCOW MENACE LINEUP AFTER AN EXPANSION DRAFT:

LW - C - RW

Mulligan - Shawinganen - Peace [?]

von Moltke - CPU - Baillie

Komarov - Nano

Bronstein - CPU

Nixon*

*Let's be honest, nobody else will need a goalie. Moscow needs a goalie. Nixon is the best S65 goalie at this moment and it's safe to say he will become the Menace player real soon.

So here it is. An article about an upcoming expansion draft and even their potential lineup. Again, eveything can change and it's not certain Pajari will be protected instead of Peace or probably someone else. But I feel like this could be more or less accurate. Can't wait for this off-season to start.

That's it and I'm not out yet.

6x4+6=30 TPE goes to Kallis

28.01 - 03.02 = 12 TPE

04.02 - 10.02

11.02 - 17.02

18.02 - 24.02

Edited by hedgehog337

I'm still saying you should be the Blue Jackets and give Victor picks to not take Peace/Pajari. It's not like you need the picks right now, you're in the peak of contention, hell you prob couldn't fit the picked players under the cap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Expnasion mock draft from Riga GM [1/2]