Reply to The future of the VHL,Three/four lines? [1/2]

jRuutu

I thought I make a thread out of this since I got to 300 words so fast :P But yea, this is my reply to question three on hedgehog337´s thread

Kinda interesting how the league keeps adding or taking out teams, surely it would be a lot smarter eventually to move to 3rd and 4th line setup with increased cap instead of going through expansion drafts and finding the right people to run those new teams, expansion team is not an easy thing to manage, handing out an expansion team to rookie GM just like that is risky, potential effects to the league are brutal if things don´t work out.

And from my perspective as a player, the idea of getting picked in the expansion draft sucks if you want to be a good user and not play douche games and threaten to retire if you get picked.

Pic-2.jpeg

What comes down to playing time, if 15-25 minutes is not enough for you - you should go play an individual sport of some kind. Again quite interestingly not just in this league, but in others as well the ´top´ users go into teams that could win, they are not going to join bottom teams because they get a guaranteed 28 or whatever mins in game, no - they are going to join the top teams with smaller salaries and make more of a stacked team in order to win. How important the ice time really is? I´m willing to bet nobody has complained about playing 15 minutes per game during the season after winning a cup.

Tough decision here, if you increase the cap and add 3rd/4th lines - super teams are going to happen, but in the other end if you keep the cap as is with 2 lines and keep on adding teams, going to have to get the GM selections right every time, risk of expansion team failing completely gets higher and higher.

We are already seeing some users who refuse to play in whatever team and they ask out right away, I´m having a hard time believing the older users here are willing to go to an expansion team and be at the bottom for multiple seasons, it´s easy to support adding more teams when in all reality you are not there to build those teams up.

I don´t know, maybe some older users want to truly try it out, personally, I´m surprised if after year three they are still there. What makes it even tougher for the expansion teams, the ongoing trend in these sim leagues (maybe in others more heavily than here) is to leave for free, you don´t have to be much of a fortune teller to guess that the veterans who want to win will leave for free to get into the best possible situation to win and in result they leave the expansion teams into bad spot.

Weasel4bb0.jpg?itok=rhXCBkY9

It´s part of the game and every player has the right to be a free agent if they feel like it - yes, but imagine being a user, maybe with a job around the league who is supporting league to add more teams and also being a supporter for players testing free agency. That is funny, like shooting yourself on the foot and then trying to figure out how to make things better. They are the ones who should lead by example, but instead they promote weasel behavior. Not on the point, apologies for that, but something that I have always seen funny when high-level users do it in these leagues.

About the expansion again at the end, I have not looked at the numbers on how many users are joining the draft, but slightly sad if the best idea is to add new teams instead of giving 3rd/4th line set up a fair go by looking at the minimum salaries, cap and maybe doing some test sim seasons and sharing the results.

• Commissioner

Honestly I think we'll get back up to 10 first and then battle lines in the discussion will be drawn to see if people are willing to ave larger teams or if we just want more. I don't want to see expansion at an un-sustainable rate because contracting teams sucked and was a pain in the pass that I would like to avoid. However if the will of the league is to continue on our way as a 6-3-1 type of league than it doesn't make a lot of sense to force people into roles they don't want instead of just expanding further if we have the members.

It's a future discussion but the point is that I wouldn't expect to see the league stay at 9 teams for long.

7 hours ago, Beaviss said:

I want teams to have more than 2 lines personally.

Same here, even 3 would offer a lot more.

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

Honestly I think we'll get back up to 10 first and then battle lines in the discussion will be drawn to see if people are willing to ave larger teams or if we just want more. I don't want to see expansion at an un-sustainable rate because contracting teams sucked and was a pain in the pass that I would like to avoid. However if the will of the league is to continue on our way as a 6-3-1 type of league than it doesn't make a lot of sense to force people into roles they don't want instead of just expanding further if we have the members.

It's a future discussion but the point is that I wouldn't expect to see the league stay at 9 teams for long.

Yea, whole expansion draft is a brutal experience, I was in the risk zone of getting drafted in expansion draft in one other league not so long ago and it was not fun, but looking forward to seeing what the future brings for VHL!

• 2 months later...

Review

I support more than 2 lines if the numbers support it. I don't want rapid expansion because it would create so much un-sustainability (who knew this wasn't a word apparently). I think a higher cap will come into the play after the S67 Draft as it is going to be another good one much like the S66 draft.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Reply to The future of the VHL,Three/four lines? [1/2]