VHLM Cap Rule

Because there's guys last season who dominated last season, (i.e.- Slaughter, Fjorsstrom, Brookside) who may or may not have had 175 TPE before the season, and because of that they were able to keep adding TPE to their player in the sim and tear the league apart.

Why is my player being capped at 175 when there's forwards with a much smaller margin behind me than they did with those other 3? It only makes playing the rest of the season even harder for Olynick while the skaters get better and faster.

So because Slaughter/Fjorsstrom/Brookside were able to keep their TPE under 175 before Game 1, they were handed the leeway to go up to 300+ TPE by the end of the season?

I would love for anyone to tell me why that was okay to do last season but delaying the addition of points to stay in the minors is a crime.

They didn't belong to a VHL team. There, solved. You can't play 9 VHL Seasons. Only 8. And you are eligible to play in the VHL based on when you create your player. I also DOUBT they were at 175 before Game1. In regards to "DELAYING" your adding of points, you delayed it for an entire off-season. 

Here's a for example on how you can legally work the rules. I didn't earn TPE to get over 500 this year because I knew it would help in salary. The salary brackets are cut at the end of the season. So, when S36 ended, I stayed at 499 to stay in a lower salary bracket. Similarly, you could decline points (even if awarded to you) that would put you over 175 before the season.

Well I gotta go to bed now, this is certainly a discussion worth having, just don't let Olynick suffer from the lack of clarity in our rules. And I still think adding the points after this season, so he doesn't have an advantage in the VHLM but doesn't lose points he rightfully earned completely, is a fair compromise.

Because there's guys last season who dominated last season, (i.e.- Slaughter, Fjorsstrom, Brookside) who may or may not have had 175 TPE before the season, and because of that they were able to keep adding TPE to their player in the sim and tear the league apart.

Why is my player being capped at 175 when there's forwards with a much smaller margin behind me than they did with those other 3? It only makes playing the rest of the season even harder for Olynick while the skaters get better and faster.

So because Slaughter/Fjorsstrom/Brookside were able to keep their TPE under 175 before Game 1, they were handed the leeway to go up to 300+ TPE by the end of the season?

I would love for anyone to tell me why that was okay to do last season but delaying the addition of points to stay in the minors is a crime.

They were all S37 draftees. they belonged in the minors, they didnt have a team to be called up to.

That is a pretty arrogant way to look at a discussion, I'm biased because I support a certain point of view that you don't share? Maybe I just think this is the right thing to do? And believe me, I haven't been an unconditional supporter of my player through all of this, Victor can confirm this. I have already told AwfulHomesick that where I do and where I don't support him.

See, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You didn' break any rules and you didn't intentionally circumvent the cap and neither did Olynick. If there was in fact a rule he broke then it is one that is buried somewhere, because it's neither in the VHL nor the VHLM Rulebook. And you can't expect a player, especially one in his first season,to follow a rule that isn't in the Rulebook.

No, you are biased because you support a point of view that directly impacts your team. Its called a conflict of interest. Call me arrogant all you want, but its true.

That is a pretty arrogant way to look at a discussion, I'm biased because I support a certain point of view that you don't share? Maybe I just think this is the right thing to do? And believe me, I haven't been an unconditional supporter of my player through all of this, Victor can confirm this. I have already told AwfulHomesick that where I do and where I don't support him.

See, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You didn' break any rules and you didn't intentionally circumvent the cap and neither did Olynick. If there was in fact a rule he broke then it is one that is buried somewhere, because it's neither in the VHL nor the VHLM Rulebook. And you can't expect a player, especially one in his first season,to follow a rule that isn't in the Rulebook.

He in fact did state in this thread that he did intentionally not add TPE until after to avoid the cap, correct?

Let's not argue about Slaughters or anyone elses TPE-count from last season, I probably shouldn't have brought that up, obviously they did have to play in the VHLM last year. But those guys of all people should be a bit more forgiving when it comes to technicalities like these, seeing that you benefitted from a ton of rules that favor recreates and were able to start out your very first year with about 175 TPE as a result.

No, you are biased because you support a point of view that directly impacts your team. Its called a conflict of interest. Call me arrogant all you want, but its true.

Being biased and having a conflict of interest is not the same thing. Obviously I shouldn't be the person to decide in this matter (because of said conflict of interest), but that doesn't make my opinion invalid.

The fact they didn't belong to a VHL is such a fucked and unfair advantage in favor of recreates.

Recreates get points because they're what made this league great. Guess what - when Olynick retires in a year or so, you'll get recreate bonus, too, my man. 

And I've already worked the math - the only advantage recreates get is like 50 TPE tops. And that's if they go out with 900+ TPE. New players get their first 3 PTs doubled... 18 point advantage veterans don't have. Another 10 for dual Training Camp. And if you retire with 1000 TPE @ 7% for re-creating... you get 70... the difference there is 42. A very small advantage in the grand scheme. Big to start, small at the end of 2-3 seasons.

The fact they didn't belong to a VHL is such a fucked and unfair advantage in favor of recreates.

We have added several advantages to new members: Ten free TPE training camp and three weeks of doubled point tasks equals 28 free TPE. Thats pretty good compared to the old days. We wanted to keep some incentive for old members to stay, otherwise you start losing those people. Its called putting your dues in.

He in fact did state in this thread that he did intentionally not add TPE until after to avoid the cap, correct?

Points that I, and I'm reiterating this, automatically earned from end-of-the-year grade pay, and the Award Predictions. Those points would've put me over regardless whether or not I had the rest of the 18 TPE.

Edited by AwfulHomesick

Let's not argue about Slaughters or anyone elses TPE-count from last season, I probably shouldn't have brought that up, obviously they did have to play in the VHLM last year. But those guys of all people should be a bit more forgiving when it comes to technicalities like these, seeing that you benefitted from a ton of rules that favor recreates and were able to start out your very first year with about 175 TPE as a result.

lol I never said he shouldnt get the TPE, I was just saying it should be discussed and clarified so it is fair for all members for future events. Precedent indicates that it hasnt been fair in the past.

Points that I, and I'm reiterating this, automatically earned from end-of-the-year grade pay, and the Award Predictions. Those points would've put me over regardless whether I had the rest of the 18 TPE.

You don't have to claim points. I believe tfong did something where he professed he declined points. You don't AUTOMATICALLY go up if you decline them.

You don't have to claim points. I believe tfong did something where he professed he declined points. You don't AUTOMATICALLY go up if you decline them.

Apparently I do have to claim the points because what everyone is saying is that even before I posted the points on my updates page, I was over 175.

Being biased and having a conflict of interest is not the same thing. Obviously I shouldn't be the person to decide in this matter (because of said conflict of interest), but that doesn't make my opinion invalid.

I never said it was invalid, just that we should be aware of the bias that comes from you having a direct tie to the result of the ruling. Lets not play silly bugger here.

lol I never said he shouldnt get the TPE, I was just saying it should be discussed and clarified so it is fair for all members for future events. Precedent indicates that it hasnt been fair in the past.

No objections to that. Good night.

That is definitely a point that needs to be cleared up though. Does a players TPE-count goes up the moment his Media Spot gets graded or a claim thread is posted? Or does it go up when he actually applies these points via his update thread (which I thought was the case so far)?

I never said it was invalid, just that we should be aware of the bias that comes from you having a direct tie to the result of the ruling. Lets not play silly bugger here.

Silly bugger :lol: ? You are just arguing semantics now, bud.

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

Points that I, and I'm reiterating this, automatically earned from end-of-the-year grade pay, and the Award Predictions. Those points would've put me over regardless whether or not I had the rest of the 18 TPE.

Yes, thats why you dont claim them or training camp or whatever to stay down.

Yes, thats why you dont claim them or training camp or whatever to stay down.

Right, so I should store them until the end of the season like how it was already agreed to and I should continue to gain points as the season goes on? That's been established a while ago.

Just to be clear about yearly predictions too when you retire say in the pre-season and earn yearly predictions from the previous year those are supposed to be applied to your currently retiring player and not used on the new one.  That is another small rule that people exploit.

As far as this thing at hand AwfulHomesick you have to stop taking this personally.  This is not about you and your TPE levels this is about all Draftees and the 175 TPE rule.  It just so happens you are currently the person who is affected by the rule but this entire thread is more about finally fixing this problem.  It has to my knowledge only been used to penalize Moholt and when we find it for other people we just ignore it when presented, don't see it, or when we do realize there was a problem we say its too late anyway and ignore it.

When this happened before with Moholt I went back 3-4 seasons and found 3 other people who broke the 175 barrier and still played in the minors.  I had a long conversation with Victor about this before probably more so than anyone else here b/c Moholt was on Riga.

Edited by Mike

For the record, I (Brookside) am S36, not S37, and did have a VHL team, and could have played for my VHL team. I also had exactly 163 TPE at the cutoff date last season, with everything I'd done to that point having been updated, and so therefore legitimately stayed down. It was not because of not having a team, etc.

My next player I'm earning 900 tpe but not adding a single one and staying in the vhlm. My last season I'll add all my points, come up, and win rookie of the year and MVP in my one season and retire. Clearly acceptable as long as I don't update them.

Just to be clear about yearly predictions too when you retire say in the pre-season and earn yearly predictions from the previous year those are supposed to be applied to your currently retiring player and not used on the new one.  That is another small rule that people exploit.

As far as this thing at hand AwfulHomesick you have to stop taking this personally.  This is not about you and your TPE levels this is about all Draftees and the 175 TPE rule.  It just so happens you are currently the person who is affected by the rule but this entire thread is more about finally fixing this problem.  It has to my knowledge only been used to penalize Moholt and when we find it for other people we just ignore it when presented, don't see it, or when we do realize there was a problem we say its too late anyway and ignore it.

When this happened before with Moholt I went back 3-4 seasons and found 3 other people who broke the 175 barrier and still played in the minors.  I had a long conversation with Victor about this before probably more so than anyone else here b/c Moholt was on Riga.

Not sure how you're seeing my posts, but this is why I'm taking this personally. Because other guys got away with it, and simply ignoring it is a terrible decision on the league's part. Didn't solve anything.

Also if you could just "keep" the points hidden but not updated, I would've started my vhlm season with around 250 tpe. I lost out on contract money, training camp, I believe part of a donation to the league, and maybe a weeks worth of mag pay just to stay down. I didn't get those points at the end of the season and I shouldn't have. At the beginning of the season you should either be below or above 175 earned tpe whether you are hiding it and not updating it or not.

I've never understood why this was so hard to understand and enforce.

when reading this i saw that there was an issue about recreates having a large amount of TPE right from the start.

This issue has been brought up before, and new recruits have expressed how annoying it is to have re-creates completely out do them in TPE from day 1.

So here is what i propose:

I still believe the recreates should get the TPE they receive for recreating

they should be rewarded for their time and dedication to the league and their continuation through a recreate

TPE is not immediately awarded to the recreate.

You do not start off your VHLM career with the TPE, but u start out with the 0 TPE like everyone else

You play your first season in the VHLM as any other recruit.

You must play 72 games (total = 1 season) in the VHL before you can claim the TPE for being a recreate.

I feel like this has more of a psychological impact on new recruits and levels the playing field for VHLM.

Thoughts?