Small Fish Big Pond [1/2]

Matmenzinger

This is the Prague Post reporting in from Philadelphia Pennsylvania, and we're here today with one Mat Tocco. Tocco is the newest member of the Philadelphia based VHLM hockey team The Philadelphia Reapers. He also happens to be a Prague native so it goes without saying that he's a long way from home. Today we'll be taking an in depth look at every detail of Tocco's new life in America and how he's adjusted.

Mat begins by greeting us outside of the three story apartment building in which he resides. He's already smiling by the time we reach the door and he's sure to let us know more than once about how excited he is to finally be able to talk to someone in his first language. He leads us into the building, up the to the second floor, and into his modest one bedroom apartment. He offers me and my camera man each a bottle of Pilsner Urquell "I know I shouldn't be drinking this, too many calories, but it makes me a bit less homesick." he says. Nothing is adorned on the bare white walls of his apartment, and as far as furniture goes it's at a minimum. He gestures us to a couch and he pulls up the lone chair from his kitchen and sits there. "I haven't had a chance to decorate if you couldn't tell" Tocco jokes. 

I continue to survey his living room and spot a picture of him and young woman sitting on his empty entertainment center. Noticing my line of sight Tocco stands up and hands me the picture. "That's Marika, my girlfriend. Leaving her back home hasn't been easy, but I've only been signed to a one year contract. I don't know where I'll be playing next year so it didn't make sense for her to come with." We continue to make small talk for the better part of 20 minutes and I decide to try to gear the conversation towards hockey.

"So you've decided to sign with The Reapers, but I have to ask did you have any other offers from other VHLM teams?" Tocco bursts into a laugh. "Funny thing about that, I accepted the offer the second my agent told me about it. Never even gave another team a chance to make an offer. It seemed like a perfect fit so I went for it. I haven't actually given playing with another team any thought." Mat stands up abruptly and grabs three more beers handing us each one. After taking a swig he continues "We'll see where I'm at in my career come next year, but I'd love to continue playing here. I've been here for a very short time but our GM has been very welcoming, and I've actually made a friend in John Frostbeard. He's from Latvia so he knows what it's like to be so far from home." 

I try to stray from bring up the topic for as long as I can but it's hard not to notice that Philadelphia is in a slump at the moment. "With you guys being at the bottom of the standings, it must be a bit demoralizing considering how far you came from to play here." Tocco's face contorts into what may be anger, but as soon as it appears it's gone. "No, actually I don't think about it like that at all. It's an honor to be playing here. You have to take into account that we're a new team, we still have the rest of the season ahead of us and I don't think the league has even begun to see what we're capable of as a team." he says. "We have a really strong core, the bounces just haven't been going our way. Once everything starts to click, and I guarantee it will, the rest of the league better watch out.". At this point Tocco gets up and leads us out onto the balcony of his apartment. "Sorry I don't like being cramped inside this long". The view from the balcony is nothing much to look at but Tocco eyes seem to be taking in the city at a mile a minute. The constant chatter and sounds of the city may be second nature to most living here but it's a far cry from Tocco's beginnings. "I still haven't adjusted to just how many cars are here. I swear there are more cars than people." We let him take in the city for a few minutes before getting back to our conversation. "Currently you're projected to go 68th in the upcoming draft, do you see that number changing as the season goes on?" I ask. "Absolutely. The level of competition here is insane, and it's daunting, but I think I'm getting better every single day. This is my life, I haven't really planned anything else for myself, so that means that I need to be the best. No less. I'm learning a lot, and my teammates are at levels that don't exist in the juniors back home. That helps a lot.

We continue to drink and before too long the sounds of city die down. Mat's face scrunches as if deep in thought, and after a few seconds he says "I'm nervous ya know? I haven't really been nervous before. I was the best on my team in juniors, I was the best back in school. But I just played my first game with the team and I felt lost on the ice for the first time ever. The game is so much faster here. Everyone is just as good as you or better. It's a challenge but one that I think I'm up for." Eventually the street lights come on and it's too dark for our camera so we bring the interview back inside. Something catches my eye that I didn't notice when we first entered the apartment. On the otherwise empty kitchen counter sits two lone hockey pucks. "What's the story behind those?" I inquire. "Oh, uhh yeah... that first one is from actually from the only other time that I've ever visited the states. It's one of the few things that made the trip here. Take a look, it's signed by one someone you might know." I do, it's someone anyone who follows hockey would. Scrawled across the puck is the signature of Jaromir Jagr. "I know it's cliche but watching him as a kid, was my sole inspiration for getting into the game. There was also a very regrettable stage in my life where my hair was inspired by him too." Tocco laughs. Even more interesting is his story about the second puck, this one unsigned and seemingly mundane. "This is the puck that gets me to wake up every day and do this. This is the puck from my very first goal in juniors. I've saved it since then, and hopefully one day I can sign that, give it to fan and actually have it mean something to them.

We continue to talk about the league, where other teams are in the standings, and his thoughts on other prospects well into the night.

Eventually it gets too late and we decide to wrap things up if we're going to catch our plane back home in the morning. Tocco leaves us with one last thought. "Keep an eye on us, I told you that I'm getting better every day... But that's just the beginning of it. Our team is getting better, and I promise you that come the end of the season we'll surprise everyone."

Keep an eye out for more stories like these to come, and in Tocco's own words be sure to follow Philadelphia closely through their first season, they just may surprise us all.

1296 words. TPE for weeks ending 3/17 and 3/24.

Edited by Matmenzinger
Spacing paragraphs

Mat Tacco @Matmenzinger was Truly a steal and a half of a late wavers signing. He hasn't been with us Reapers for long but he already feels like part of the team. He is starting to gel with the regular lines and honestly any GM that dosen't have this up and coming start on their to watch list for next season is making a huge mistake.  

We are glad to have you hear with us in Philly Mat! 

14 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

Mat Tacco @Matmenzinger was Truly a steal and a half of a late wavers signing. He hasn't been with us Reapers for long but he already feels like part of the team. He is starting to gel with the regular lines and honestly any GM that dosen't have this up and coming start on their to watch list for next season is making a huge mistake.  

We are glad to have you hear with us in Philly Mat! 

Haha well now I really feel like I have to live up to expectations. Seriously though thanks. Glad to be here. 

• 2 months later...