Bad Stretch Signals More Goalie Controversy In Halifax? [1/2]

Saelven88

After starting the season strong with a GAA of 2.75, Halifax rookie goaltender Thorvald Gunnarsson has seen himself pulled from games on back to back starts. Asked what happened the rookie offered, “I think it's just the level of competition is higher than back home. You can't have a mental night off, or else you will get beat.” What was a promising start to his VHLM career seems to be off the rails. Only managing to stop 10 of the last 16 shots he's faced (.625 save percentage and an astronomical 13.67 GAA), Gunnarsson has been seriously cold.

Originally drafted to be a the team's backup goaltender, Gunnarsson was quickly promoted to the starter after Chase announced to the team that he would be leaving the minors and taking his talents to Moscow in the up-coming season. Just before the season started Michael Johnson was signed to back up Gunnarsson. However, as of late it looks as if the roles are starting to change. Gunnarsson's recent bad play seems to coincide with Johnson's rising play. The two had been splitting starts recently so it would not be too much of a stretch to see Johnson run away with the starter position.  There have been rumblings of a goalie controversy for a little while, but now it may be open season for the starter job.

Up until recently the two have been very close in their performances in practice and it was difficult to say who had the edge. In games however, both had played well enough to put the team in a position to win, but it seemed as though luck was more on Gunnarsson's side for wins. He's certainly enjoyed more goal support in the early part of the season. In the last week though, a clear difference has opened up between the two, with Johnson flashing his skills in practice and in games.

“The better guy should play,” said Gunnarsson when asked about this. “I have been letting the team down recently.” Perhaps seeing the game from the bench for a few days would help Gunnarsson snap out of this funk. “I am still adjusting to the game here, but I need to be better.”

When asked if there was anything he needed to do differently, Gunnarsson stated that he would have to talk with his coaches first But he stated that he planned on adding more practice time in the coming weeks. “The schedule is pretty packed already, but I think there are a few hours where we can get some more drills done.” Obviously any time a player goes through a bad stretch like this changes have to be made. When asked what needed to be adjusting he mentioned that his positioning had been pretty poor recently. He added that he believes a lack of focus on the ice has contributed to his sloppy positioning and allowed in some soft goals. “I think a hard look at the tape will reveal what mistakes I have made, and where I can make simple adjustments,” Gunnarsson said. “We will be spending a lot of time in the film room, and I will be making those adjustments as soon as I can.”

Week ending 5/19/19, 534 words

Up until recently the two have been very close in their performances in practice and it was difficult to say who had the edge. In games however, both had played well enough to put the team in a position to win, but it seemed as though luck was more on Gunnarsson's side for wins. He's certainly enjoyed more goal support in the early part of the season. In the last week though, a clear difference has opened up between the two, with Johnson flashing his skills in practice and in games.

Whens practice starting, we're getting you back in mentally. You're a solid tendie. Lets go buddy!

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, fonziGG said:

Whens practice starting, we're getting you back in mentally. You're a solid tendie. Lets go buddy!

❤️ you both

25 minutes ago, Saelven88 said:

Gave me the idea for the theme of this piece.

Haha I wouldn't worry too much. Hali is one of the only VHLM teams with 2 active tendies, so I don't think any other teams have the strategy set to pull the goalie. You'll average out when you've played more games.

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, K1NG LINUS said:

Haha I wouldn't worry too much. Hali is one of the only VHLM teams with 2 active tendies, so I don't think any other teams have the strategy set to pull the goalie. You'll average out when you've played more games.

This just in! Acyd Burn, switches to goalie. Halifax now rotates between 3 goalies. Lol totally kidding.

3 minutes ago, Acydburn said:

This just in! Acyd Burn, switches to goalie. Halifax now rotates between 3 goalies. Lol totally kidding.

It's official, Hali's entire roster is now all goalies

Review - Love to see newer members write up media spots. We all wish we could be good from the get-go but this is the reality of the game.  I also always appreciate it when members write about things outside of in-game ice time & stats; it's all-too-easy to just read off stat lines from your player's page and get your 500 words that way. Talking about film, drills, etc. is a nice way to bring a little life to the sim.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Bad Stretch Signals More Goalie Controversy In Halifax? [1/2]