Projecting a Euro VHL expansion club

Motzaburger

As the league grows, expansions for the VHL and the VHLM are most likely imminent. Without further a due, let’s take a look at a few possible locations for VHL expansion teams. 

Today I will focuse on the European Conference. Looking at the conference now (see below) the VHL teams are spread mostly across Northern Europe with four teams. One team is located in Central Europe. Five teams total the European Conference. 

uhhfeXo.png

Therefore, an expansion team would make sense in the central or southern region. Former VHL teams were located in Stockholm and Cologne so we will rule them out. Let’s countdown the top three cities where a VHL team should land in Europe:

3. Athens, Greece

f6b61b674f33e306d9084f5db25382e1?width=1280

Possible team name: Athens Warriors

Logo possibilities: Greek shield, Pegasus, Greek soldier, Greek soldier helmet

Athens is well known for its pages in the history books and there is no shortage of mythological creatures and battles that inspire team names. Greece is not well known for their hockey. Number 3 is as high as a Greek team will fall in consideration for a VHL expansion team. 

2. Vienna, Austria

eur-austria-vienna.jpg

Possible team name: Vienna Express

Austria is a centrally located in Europe with easy access to many countries. It’s hockey programs are well established, yet they fall short at number 2. 

1. Munich, Germany

munich.jpg

Possible team name: Munich Montsters

Munich is an obvious choice for a VHL expansion team. It lies in central Europe while still in close proximity to the other VHL squads. Germany’s hockey growth is not to be denied and there is room for the VHL. Not to mention, the Munich Monsters spins off the legendary Nachzehrer “vampire-like” creatures which are more or less known as zombies today – undead feasting on DEAD human bodies. Legend says the only way to kill them is to place a coin in their mouth and cut off their heads. A perfect combination of gruel monsters and a VHL franchise. Enough said.

Since you all know me well for my graphics design, I mocked up a logo for the Munich Monsters – with the Nachzehrer and zombies in mind:

uwwq2nK.png

Next, we’ll follow the rules of the previous VHL expansion (i.e., each team protects 7 players) and I will project the Monster’s picks from each VHL team (given there is a 1 team expansion draft):

1. C - Mark Gebauer (527 TPE) - Moscow

2. D – Rusty Shackleford (369 TPE) - Malmo

3. RW – Bjorn Scoringsson (330 TPE) – HC Davos

4. D – Apollo Hackett (456 TPE) - Riga

5. C – Orion Slade (422 TPE) - Helsinki

6. RW – Joey Boucher (456 TPE) - Toronto

7. D – Brady Stropko Jr (599 TPE) Calgary

8. G - Clayton Park (307 TPE) - Vancouver

9. C – Boris The Forest (311 TPE) – New York

10.  LW – Valeri Morozov (289 TPE) – Seattle

Scoringsson – Gebauer – Boucher

Morozov – Slade – Forest

Hackett – Stropko Jr

Shackleford

Park

Stay tuned, maybe I’ll project a North American expansion squad as well….?

Spoiler

HAWAII

Word Count: >150 that's for sure

• Admin
1 hour ago, flyersfan1453 said:

London, England

IT'S COMING HOME

That is the other one in my top three at which point you start to run out of serious options other than maybe northern Italy. Or I guess France are OK at hockey. Or Denmark.

1 hour ago, Matt_O said:

This is cool. But Malmo wouldn't be in the expansion draft most likely, and I think some of these guys would be protected. But good job

My understanding was Moscow was exempt last time because in theory we were part of the same expansion with Malmo (just a season apart) so I think we’d both be in it this time around, especially if it was two teams.