Interview with Halifax GM AranThranduil [1/2]

Brrbisbrr

Today I had a chance to interview Halifax 21’s general manager Aran Thranduil.  I know how rare it is for a VHLM player to interview an opposing gm, so I appreciate his time in letting me follow through.  Halifax handed my Ottawa Lynx their first loss of the season and are sitting at 8-4-1 good for 17 points and 4th in the VHLM.  Here are Aran Thranduil’s thoughts on the VHLM

1. How long and what got you interested in the VHL?

AT:  As a child, I used to watch a lot of VHL hockey with my dad and brother. It appealed more to me than the NHL, because of the international aspect. As far as I am aware, the VHL is the only league with teams in both North America and Europe, and I feel like that is what makes it special. As a young GM, the VHLM was a good gateway to get into the league I loved so much, so in S63, I picked up a job as the assistant general manager of the Oslo Storm (now Minnesota Storm), after some early practice with local midget teams. Flash forward a few years and here I am now.

2. I know a lot of the VHLM players are rookies so what helps you distinguish between them? 

AT:  For me it is a big help to interview the players prior to signing or drafting them. I think you can tell a lot about a player's potential and work ethic, from his attitude. Obviously, there isn't always a chance for an interview, so I like to play it safe, and not sign a huge amount of rookies, while making sure my development and coaching staff strongly focuses on the few that we do sign.

3. I know everyone wants to win a championship, but what are some other goals you have for your team? 

At:  I like to see my players get drafted high. When I see a player from go in the first round, I know I've succeeded as a GM. I also like to make sure we develop a positive locker-room atmosphere throughout the year, and that the players all have a good experience, whether we win or not. Another thing I pride myself in is never having a rebuild. Halifax has been able to stay competitive for 5 straight seasons, in a league that is generally a 2 year cycle between contending and rebuilding. Our overall record since we joined the league 5 seasons ago, is by far the best over the last 5 season, of any other team, and I'm definitely proud of that.

4. What player that you helped developed (either your own or another users) are you most proud of? 

AT: I'd say Julius Freeman. He played in Halifax throughout S65, and went from an unknown rookie, to our leading scorer, and then ended up going 2nd overall in the draft. He came so far, considering how much better the eventual 3rd overall pick and a bunch of other players were than him at the start of the season. It was awesome to him go from a nobody to a star in less than a season.

5. What is the most difficult or time consuming everyday duty you have as a GM?

AT: Probably figuring out who to draft, sign and trade for. It is always tough to know how well a player will do, and there is always worry that you could be missing out on a great player, by signing them, but you could also end up stuck with a player you can't really utilize. Making good decisions in this area, is a big part of maintaining a competitive roster each season. The other half is up to the coach, to train, develop, and keep the players in enthusiastic.

6. What do you look for in a player?

AT: Attitude. I believe any player can do well with the right attitude, regardless of their initial skillset. I'm more likely to draft a super enthusiastic rookie, than a player that has had some experience and success, but has a poor attitude.

7. What advice would you give for VHLM rookies who have a shot at moving up to the big leagues next season?

AT:   Don't focus on your draft ranking position. The draft will come when it does, and it isn't good to get wrapped up in all the hype or lack thereof. Focus on making yourself better, and when the draft comes, you will be taken where you will. There is no point in getting all down and out if a player beats you out in the draft rankings, so stop caring what other people say about you, and just play your game. If you stick to it long enough, eventually people will see you for the player you are. Also, don't worry about producing in the VHLM. It is a very different league than the VHL, and I know a lot of players who were average in the VHLM, but lit it up in their rookie VHL season. The VHLM is just a development league, not meant to be taken too seriously.

8. Who is the best player that you had a shot at getting but missed out on?

AT: Very hard to say. There have been lots over the years. In the S64 VHLM draft, we could have easily drafted Diljodh Starload. We had 6 picks before Starload was taken, and being under the impression that he planned to head to the VHL, we avoided him. However, he decided to stay down and was one of the best players in the league that season. Later on, we made a trade for him, but it was very costly for us. Would have been way easier just to draft him. Starload is now a big star in the VHL.

9. Who is your "VHL Idol"?

AT:  In terms of GMs, I think I like Shawn Glade's methods the best. He knows how to create a positive locker-room atmosphere, and I've heard nothing but good things about him. For a short time before he was promoted to the VHL, I was his AGM, and he started his career as the GM of Halifax as well. He makes amazing trades, pulling in loads of picks for his team. I aspire to be like him.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Interview with Halifax GM AranThranduil [1/2]