May's Departure

It's been a wonderful season for the Moscow Menace as they push for the cup in only their third year of existence. While the team has been surging, one of the men who has hid in the shadows has been their back up goaltender. May was excused from team practices two weeks ago. May has been not seen and has missed a few games as late. An emergency call up has been sitting on the bench. There's been a hush over the Moscow locker room as everyone seems uncomfortable to share any information. May returned to practice and it appeared that he was in a somber mood. The atmosphere was thick surrounding the young goaltender. A beat reporter following the team was also puzzled by the atmosphere.

"It was strange. The problem was definitely surrounding May. When he wasn't in the locker room there was an air of easy goingness. And there definitely was some uneasiness towards May. It wan't as if May was causing the bad vibes but his teammates were definitely guarded towards approaching him. May who on the ice is usually chirping at teammates and making sure to joke around at all times has been almost emotionally nonexistent."

May finally sat down with reporters this week. He was immediately flooded with questions about his absences and overall mood swings. At first May seemed very reluctant to answer. Often shrugging off questions and becoming increasingly annoyed. At points it looked like May was ready to burst into tears and eventually he hit a boiling point. 

" I just feel like you've been left out of the loop for a long time and won't stop hounding me until I give you the answers. A family member of mine has been basically been given borrowed time. There are somethings that are more important than hockey. She's been an integral part of my life and the fact that she has little time left on this earth has left me heart broken. That's why you haven't seen me on the ice as frequently. It's something I couldn't keep inside and sorry you have to hear it. It's been a really troubling time and I've needed the support of my family and teammates. What you see and what happens beyond the scenes is absolutely night and day."

Humanity is frail. I might be writing this now wishing I had more time. I know this is a really stupid place to put my thoughts but it's the only platform no one knows me. I needed to type this out. I want to be able to come back to this article and smile a little. I don't need sympathy or pity but just someone to validate what I feel. Losing someone hurts more than I can possibly describe. You never know who you're going to lose in a blink of an eye. Hold your loved ones close tonight. You may be too young to understand or thing such things are trivial. There are somethings in this world I wish would never leave, family is one of them.

Sorry for my word vomit. 

Holy shit man. That is horrible. When my Grandpa died I didn't know what to do with myself. We knew it was going to happen soon, but it still caught me off guard. It was horrible. All the memories you have of the person start rushing back and it makes it even worse. You remember the last thing you ever did or said to them. You feel empty despite all the people comforting you. It is something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. I know how you feel. It isn't easy but you will get through it eventually. I hope everything ends up ok @FacebookFighter

@FacebookFighter

Back in 2011 my dad died and it surprised me just how much it helped talking to a few people on here about it. Jardy, Phil, a few others because of exactly what you said - it's people who didn't actually know me so I felt a bit more free to open up about things, and it made things a little easier, although of course it could never fully be easy. What you're going through is hard, and it will continue to be hard, and it never fully goes away - but even though I've never really talked to you on here, I'd be glad to do so now if you need anything, basically paying forward the help I was given when I needed it.