The Music of the VHL #7

Mr_Hatter

The Music of the VHL
By A. Simon-Cowell-Type

Part 7

Welcome back to another edition of The Music of the VHL! Last week we took a look at the team that was on top of the North American division, and since then, have entered (and spoiler alert, won!) the Continental Cup Finals as the North American Conference champions, the Seattle Bears. This week, let’s head to their European counterparts, the Malmö Nighthawks.

Malmö Nighthawks @Advantage
Malmo, STRFKR

Just as Seattle were leading the North American Conference, so too was Malmö leading the European Conference. In fact, by the end of the regular season, Malmö was the league leader. Their high-flying offense, led by superstar veteran Matt Thompson (60 goals, 62 assists), had the most goals scored in the league with 248; an average of 3.44 goals scored per game.

Considering this is only the third season Malmö has been a team for, and in their first two seasons they finished last in their conference, it is truly an inspirational rise to the top for the Nighthawks. However, it was not enough. Just today, they were eliminated in the Continental Cup Finals, swept by our North American champions, the Seattle Bears. 

So I think it is fitting that we choose this wistful tune from indie rock band STRFKR to represent the season Malmö had. They have nothing to apologize for, and have been nothing short of a shining example of how to build a competitive expansion team, regardless of how their final playoff series panned out, but the loss is sure to sting. Although they will certainly hurt for scoring following the retirement of talisman Thompson, look to the Nighthawks young core. With players like center Phil Marleau, defenseman Condor Adrienne, and goaltender Michael Johnson, the Nighthawks will surely build upon this trip to the finals and seek to maintain a chokehold on the competitive European Conference. 

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned next week for more coverage!

Edited by Mr_Hatter

4 hours ago, Berocka said:

I love these articles but I think linking to a YouTube clip of the song would make a nice touch

Great idea! I'll try and do that in the future. Usually I just use spotify to find them, but they should be on YouTube as well