Season 38 VHL Entry Draft Rankings Top Prospects Interview

Mike

Season38_4.png

We have over two full drafts of players who have shown at least some improvement.  In the last week we have seen thirteen players show signs of improvement.  The most interesting thing though that we can take away from this week is the shakeup at the top of the board and the drastic rise of prospect Steve Tremblay over the past two weeks.  Keep an eye on Tremblay if he continues to rise at this unusually drastic pace he might be able to yet crack the top 5.  This week we have a group interview with four of the top VHL prospects in the Season 38 Draft.  Unfortunately our fifth interviewee Dimothenis Vlasis was contacted on short notice and unable to respond in time.

How do you handle the pressure and expectations of being a top prospect in the Season 38 Entry Draft?

Vojczek Svoboda - The pressure or expectations of being a top prospect don't really bother me. I know what I am capable of and I know that if I stay consistent with my preparation and work ethic, that the results will come and all parties (myself and the team that drafts me) will be happy with my progress. I actually am embracing all the extra attention one would get from this. I handle it well and I know that I can't get too high or too low. I just need to take everything in stride and soak it all in, cause before I know it; my career will be half over.

Bruno Wolf - Well I don’t have any pressure really, and expectations wise I don’t have any either, I am coming into this draft fresh and relaxed, not tense and stressed like other draftees.

Ashton Galbraith - Obviously there are certain expectations paired with being a highly ranked player but really you have to try and remember that it doesn't matter what team picks you or when, that you are in full control of how your career pans out and at the end of the day what pick you are selected at is ultimately irrelevant. Can't let pressure or expectations worry you too much.

Don Draper - It is tough, at times, having it in the back of your mind that you are always trying to live up to people’s expectations. I handle it by trying to focus in on my own personal expectations and goals for myself, rather than everyone else's.

Which VHL team would you most like to play for and why?  Which VHL team would you least like to play for and why?

Vojczek Svoboda - There isn't really a team that I wouldn't play for, but if I had my own personal preference of who I would play for, it's no secret that the Helsinki Titans are atop of my list. I've developed a strong friendship with Ethan Osborne, the General Manager, plus I feel as if they are on the cusp of greatness and I would relish the opportunity to be a part of that.

Bruno Wolf - I would absolutely love to play and be drafted by the Helsinki Titans. I have grown up watching the franchise win and they currently have a great GM. As for the team I would least like to play for, I do not have a team that I "least" like but I do have a couple teams I would have a problem with being drafted by.

Ashton Galbraith - Helsinki would be one of my more preferred teams. I've never actually been a part of a Helsinki team in my seasons in the VHL and they are looking like a very promising team for the future with a large number of high picks this year and the next. To be a part of a team that grows together would be a great experience. Calgary is another spot I’d be happy to go to, I haven't had any experience there either and it seems like nobody’s really talking about them right now, would be good to go there and be a part of what looks to be a more long-term build.

Don Draper - There are two teams that sort of "stand out" for me. First, Helsinki, because I have talked quite a bit with General Manager Wong and he seems like a really standup guy. Second, Riga, because a lot of the people I have gotten to know so far play there. I can't really say there is anywhere I would LEAST like to go; I'll put the same amount of effort in regardless of what jersey I wear. 

Which fellow draftees or VHLM prospects that may have been drafted in the Season 37 Entry Draft do you find most threatening or have a rivalry with?

Vojczek Svoboda - I think Slaeter Fjorsstrom, who was selected 1st overall is someone I'll probably find myself in a rival with. He's obviously got a lot of skill, evidenced by the first overall selection. We play the same position as well, so I'm sure we will both be competing for the Sterling Labatte Trophy at some point in our careers.

Bruno Wolf - Logan Laich, he is a power forward that has a shoot first mentality just like myself. We will most likely be rivals with one another fighting for the Boulet in the many seasons to come.

Ashton Galbraith - I guess I have a bit of a rivalry going with Wolf. We're both right wings who are pretty much battling each other for the #2 ranked spot. He has a lot of past experience and prestige on his side but it kind of motivates me to beat him a bit more. Playing on the same team was interesting as well, battled each other for points lead most of the year where eventually I overtook him right at the end. If it's a rivalry I’d describe it as a friendly one as he's a nice guy and I don't have anything bad to say about him.

Don Draper - I haven't really had any major rivalries thus far, however, I think me and Dimothenis Vlasis do have a sort of mini rivalry going on right now for the #4 spot in draft predictions

What do you see in the future for your player next season? Your career?

Vojczek Svoboda - I won't say Rookie of the Year because there are so many others that have spent more time in the VHLM, so they are more ready with more experience, but I expect to be considered among the top young players in the game. I want to be able to contribute at both ends of the ice right away and build off of the confidence stemmed from that. Over the course of my career, the legacy I want to leave is that I worked extremely hard, was difficult to play against and was someone people respected on and off the ice. A Hall of Fame career wouldn't be too far-fetched either. Having an opportunity to call myself a VHL Champion would be on the top of that list too.

Bruno Wolf - Well as for next season, pending on the team I get drafted too, I would not mind coming back down to the VHLM and having another run for a cup. If I do not get sent down I will be looking to have a good rookie season. As for my career I have decided I do not want to be a "hopper" and jump from team to team, I want to spend my whole career on one team.

Ashton Galbraith - That one's a little tougher. I don't think I’m an absolute lock for the VHL next season and if it means another year in the VHLM I’ll survive. It really depends on what the team that drafts me wants. As far as career, I’ll go and stay anywhere that shows good management, if that means staying with the team that drafts me for the long haul that's great, if not so be it. In the end I’d like to at least make the USA team once and try and at least establish my name again. 

Don Draper - For next season, I'm going to continue to log as many practice hours as I can. My main goal is to keep improving and keep growing as a player as much as I can. I really can't say anything different about the rest of my career, because that is what I plan on doing for the entirety of my career.

Well it appears we have a lot of Helsinki fans in the draft this season that really feel that team is heading in the right direction.  “STZ” has been one of the most well respected VHL player agents and seems to be carrying that mentality into the GM role.  Also it seems we have a great group of young prospects that are handling the pressure of success very well.  Expect big things starting as early as next season from these young gentlemen.  Stay tuned next week when we highlight some potential steals in the draft.

Ashton Galbraith - I guess I have a bit of a rivalry going with Wolf. We're both right wings who are pretty much battling each other for the #2 ranked spot. He has a lot of past experience and prestige on his side but it kind of motivates me to beat him a bit more. Playing on the same team was interesting as well, battled each other for points lead most of the year where eventually I overtook him right at the end. If it's a rivalry I’d describe it as a friendly one as he's a nice guy and I don't have anything bad to say about him.

Nice thing to say to a teammate heading into the playoffs :lol:

Ashton Galbraith - I guess I have a bit of a rivalry going with Wolf. We're both right wings who are pretty much battling each other for the #2 ranked spot. He has a lot of past experience and prestige on his side but it kind of motivates me to beat him a bit more. Playing on the same team was interesting as well, battled each other for points lead most of the year where eventually I overtook him right at the end. If it's a rivalry I’d describe it as a friendly one as he's a nice guy and I don't have anything bad to say about him.

Nice thing to say to a teammate heading into the playoffs :lol:

Quit hitting your own team then

Great work as always, Mike.

4/4 ain't bad. At least we know we'll be getting two of those four prospects and another out of the top four.. Excited for the draft.

Keep up the great work prospects. Never too late to get active again (for those who might have been absent the past few weeks). Your activity down the stretch through playoffs is what us GM's really look for, so keep updating!