Unsung Heroes - The ones who brought me back

DangerGolding

I started my VHL journey with Ritchie a while back and enjoyed having that recruitment experience that I hadn't experienced in a while and I had good fun doing a twitter thread going through option so thanks to the VHLM GMs that made the initial first time experience something enjoyable, it really makes the league feel alive when you get message from all the GMs with their excellent pitches.

However shortly into my first season at Minnesota I lost interest, not really through fault of the GM but more stuff happening irl and then going away on holiday for a few weeks killed my activity completely.

Fast forward 4-5 weeks I get a discord message from Diamond_ace asking if I was going to be an active, I initially thought no but when an invite to the DC Dragons discord came in from @Enorama I thought, hell why not give it a go, even with just welfare I can make a decent comeback. Perhaps "unsung" isn't the right word for a GM who I'm sure many people have been helped by but I think it still fits the bill.

Eno helped me get reacquainted with the VHL and it's PT system, posted a load of helpful stuff along with Press conference questions and some build help. Even just taking the time to send out a discord message to a guy who others might write off as an inactive says a lot to me about him as a GM and also taking the time to help someone who as a 2nd year player at 44 tpe stood a good chance of never seeing the ice for his team. I gotta say it was funny seeing the replay of the live-stream where you realised I actually joined the discord.

Another two people I'd like to thank are the GM and AGM at San Diego @InstantRockstar and @MexicanCow who were key in building my interest for the league and making it easy for me to stay engaged. They constantly keep the LR alive with sim results and pointing out good games by the players along with being super transparent with plans for the team and potential changes. They recognise that the sim leagues should be fun, letting us make some suggestions for the lines etc. They were supportive of letting myself and other members build the kind of players they wanted to be while giving sound advice. They got as excited as the players when we went on streaks and looked at the positives when we got blown out.

I guess this is a thank you to the people that took a chance, even if it was a low-risk one on a member who was likely to not amount to much and giving me the motivation and tools to stay active in a second league, and especially answer questions about hockey stats which I still sometimes have no idea about. My time as a Marlin will probably be coming to an end this season and though I might not have scored as many goals as I intended to every game and sim has been a positive moment for the start of my VHL career.

glad you're enjoying the league man, you've been very active, engaged and just a super fun player to have on the team. It's always nice when we can provide positive experiences as that is what it's all about, you will be greatly missed when you go up to DC haha.