My Random VHL Thoughts - S69 - Part 7

Fire Tortorella

• So, it's official now - Werbenjagermanjensen won the Labette and the Wylde, while @Dil's player who isn't noteworthy enough to list his actual player name won the Valiq by like 1 point/1 goal. I came very close to sweeping all three defenseman trophies. Don't know if that's been done before, and I would think it has been, but not 100% sure. I know players won top offensive and top overall defenseman, but not sure if someone won all three.
  • So, GM change in Davos. On the whole, I can't say I 100% disagree with the decision itself, but I don't necessarily agree with the way it was handled. I've said my piece on what happened while I was there. I will say though that this is sort of a wake up call to all GMs that there is a shorter leash than there was previously.
  • Been playing a lot of Football Manager lately and am finally watching "Sunderland Till I Die" on Netflix. In the past, someone, (I think either @Victor or @Tagger, but not 100% sure) suggested/brought up/said "would it be nice" if we could somehow implement promotion and relegation into the VHL. With money not meaning enough in a PT league, I don't think it would be feasible for the VHL, but for any sort of money based league, I do think it would be interesting to at least explore a little more. 

Just now, flyersfan1453 said:
  •  
  • Been playing a lot of Football Manager lately and am finally watching "Sunderland Till I Die" on Netflix. In the past, someone, (I think either @Victor or @Tagger, but not 100% sure) suggested/brought up/said "would it be nice" if we could somehow implement promotion and relegation into the VHL. With money not meaning enough in a PT league, I don't think it would be feasible for the VHL, but for any sort of money based league, I do think it would be interesting to at least explore a little more. 

I'm not sure if Victor has also said something along those lines in the past, but I seem to recall @CowboyinAmerica did articles on promotion/relegation in the past, so that could be who you were thinking of.

I've got this years Football Manager myself, but I haven't quite gotten into it yet, need to figure out a team that I want to get invested in (I went with RB Leipzig last season so was thinking of maybe going RB Salzberg this year). 

Just now, Tagger said:

I'm not sure if Victor has also said something along those lines in the past, but I seem to recall @CowboyinAmerica did articles on promotion/relegation in the past, so that could be who you were thinking of.

I've got this years Football Manager myself, but I haven't quite gotten into it yet, need to figure out a team that I want to get invested in (I went with RB Leipzig last season so was thinking of maybe going RB Salzberg this year). 

I buy FM every other year, so I still have FM19. Got tired of doing Spurs/a top prem team (yes yes, no jokes please), and MLS doesn't translate well to FM, so I'm doing a long term Sunderland save. Got automatic promotion from League 1 to the Championship, squeaked into the playoffs and won promotion to the Premier League, but then got my ass handed to me and I came in last place. 

That EPL TV money and parachute payments are a life changer though - so I should be back up this season.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

came very close to sweeping all three defenseman trophies. Don't know if that's been done before, and I would think it has been, but not 100% sure.

It has not. Granted, there's only been all 3 trophies for just 7 seasons to date. Although the problem is no one's ever won both the Valiq and Wylde in the same season and those have been around for 11 seasons now.

3 hours ago, flyersfan1453 said:

In the past, someone, (I think either @Victor or @Tagger, but not 100% sure) suggested/brought up/said "would it be nice" if we could somehow implement promotion and relegation into the VHL. With money not meaning enough in a PT league, I don't think it would be feasible for the VHL, but for any sort of money based league, I do think it would be interesting to at least explore a little more. 

If only we had way more teams than now. and how about drafts as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 11:27 AM, Tagger said:

On 1/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, flyersfan1453 said:

I buy FM every other year, so I still have FM19. Got tired of doing Spurs/a top prem team (yes yes, no jokes please), and MLS doesn't translate well to FM, so I'm doing a long term Sunderland save. Got automatic promotion from League 1 to the Championship, squeaked into the playoffs and won promotion to the Premier League, but then got my ass handed to me and I came in last place. 

That EPL TV money and parachute payments are a life changer though - so I should be back up this season.

I fucking choked. Was comfortably in 2nd place with 4 matches left and realistically needed like 4 points to clinch auto promotion. We fucked it up. Got like 1 point in the last 4 matches, including getting 1 point against two mid/bottom table teams at home, and lost in the playoff finals to Fulham 1-0.

2 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

I fucking choked. Was comfortably in 2nd place with 4 matches left and realistically needed like 4 points to clinch auto promotion. We fucked it up. Got like 1 point in the last 4 matches, including getting 1 point against two mid/bottom table teams at home, and lost in the playoff finals to Fulham 1-0.

Ah, the authentic FM experience! When you think everything's set up for you to succeed and then the game just goes "nope!"

Out of interest, do you still have Duncan Watmore on the team? He's probably the best player to ever come from my local semi-pro team (work just down the road from the ground they play at). 

5 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Ah, the authentic FM experience! When you think everything's set up for you to succeed and then the game just goes "nope!"

Out of interest, do you still have Duncan Watmore on the team? He's probably the best player to ever come from my local semi-pro team (work just down the road from the ground they play at). 

Nah, he never really got into my team. I started with a 442 in League One with a traditional winger on the right and an inverted winger on the left. Watmore was 3rd on the depth chart in both positions, so he got some cup games and sub appearances, but not much. When I got promoted to the Championship, he started complaining about playing time, so I sold him off to a League One team after a successful loan spell with the same team. Don't think he ever got above that level.

I'm going into the 22-23 season, so I don't have many original players on the team left. Off the top of my head, the only ones are George Honeyman, Max Power, Bali Mumba, and Lyndon Gooch. I guess Elliot Embleton too, but he was a youth player who is basically a utility midfielder.

Edited by flyersfan1453